cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet mobile does not support shortcodes to sms!

Donnab73

Re: Plusnet mobile does not support shortcodes to sms!

This policy is stupid. School and my bank and docs text for me to reply on these. I then have to ring them and explin why. As soon as my contracts up im going elsewhere.. in todays day and age we need this facility. Wont recomend this company to anyone..its terrible. Also signal is [-Censored-].
pkw
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Well, just to balance out the negativity, just wanted to say that I'm very happy with PN, I don't need the shortcode text support at all, I use Govt. Gateway and banks and never had any need to text shortcode numbers. Maybe except trying to stop pizza promotions!

Sadclient
Grafter

Hi pkw.

If you are happy with PN's cut-down mobile phone offering then thats absolutely great. If you really don't need shortcode support and are satisfied with PN's limited service then, of course, why would you look elsewhere I can fully understand that there must be lots of people who are quite happy with PN despite the restrictions which are clearly not important to them.

But for most of us the issue is not just that Plusnet does not include normal short-code support, that is fine if that is the service they are offering. The real issue is the fact that PN does not make it clear and obvious that this important feature, standard with all other providers, is not included and will not be available BEFORE you commit and sign up for their contract! This information is nowhere to be found on their website (unless it is buried away in minuscule print somewhere obscure) nor is it mentioned in any of their promotional material. The fact is that you do not realise this feature is missing until you try to use it!

The other frustrating, annoying, insulting and for many of us, offensive issue has been that whenever PN have been questioned about the topic their responses have been inconsistent or vague with ridiculous reasoning and nonsensical, illogical statements ranging from patronising to downright rude.       

pkw
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I understand, I am absolutely not dismissing the fact that many people are unhappy about it. In defence of Plusnet, however, I must say that this is stated clearly under the "Legal bit" among all the other conditions, where it says:

Premium texts

• Plusnet Mobile does not support premium or short code text services.

Whether this was stated clearly at the time I signed up (a while ago) I don't know, but I have to say that if this was a feature important to me, I would be as unhappy as the others. Many people don't read the small print and it's only natural that they would assume that this feature was supported, as most (all?) other networks do.

But of course none of this justifies Plusnet support being unhelpful about it.

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

@Sadclient

You're not even a PN customer any more and yet you keep coming back spreading outright lies and bile.

Most MVNO's don't support shortcodes so claiming that it's only PN is laughable and as stated above they DO mention that they're not included (small print or not). If you're changing providers surely you'd check that they include everything that you in particular need (including a signal in some peoples cases).

PN have always stated that they're not supported (and probably never will be) so your last paragraph just looks like you being precious.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Insult removed as per Forum rules.

Sadclient
Grafter

Hi pkw
Yes, they may now refer to this under their "Legal Bit" but I'm not sure whether this has always been the case.

In any event, as this is quite an important feature for many, most of us feel it should have more prominence on their site and in their literature.
Especially as at one time PN support were suggesting that it was somehow a positive feature in that it was to "prevent customers from running up unnecessarily large bills" and though this was a line which particularly vexed and confused some of us, you would think that if they really believed this to be a "plus" feature of their service that they would have loudly proclaimed it as one of the reasons to join Plusnet upfront.

Anyway, as I said before, If you are happy with the service it really doesn't matter.

Best regards 🙂

Sadclient
Grafter

Colin_Maybe

I note that we have had friction and childish insult from you in the past. I have no idea who or what you are or what you believe yourself to be!
By all means let’s hear from you if you have some genuine, honest, sensible and adult contribution to forum discussion but please desist from venomous personal and acrimonious remarks and fanciful statements.

I do not tell lies or spread bile as you put it and my comments have always remained polite and civil and considered unlike your own.

If you supress your obvious bias and prejudice and did some proper thorough research, searching this subject back through this and other forums and on social media, you will discover the veracity of the facts expressed by the overwhelming body of opinion on the subject.

Lastly, I am a member of this and other forums and as such, I am entitled to express views and opinions and participate in forum discussions. I do not have to remain a customer of Plusnet to contribute, one might even argue that someone who has been a customer and now moved on may well have some interesting and salient points to make regarding their experiences.

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

@Sadclient

But for most of us the issue is not just that Plusnet does not include normal short-code support, that is fine if that is the service they are offering. The real issue is the fact that PN does not make it clear and obvious that this important feature, standard with all other providers, is not included and will not be available BEFORE you commit and sign up for their contract!

You don't tell lies? Here's a list of approximately 60 MVNO's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Kingdom_mobile_virtual_network_operators

List all of the carriers that support shortcodes including links to their websites that show this. Also list the companies that don't support it and clearly advertise the fact.

This information is nowhere to be found on their website (unless it is buried away in minuscule print somewhere obscure) nor is it mentioned in any of their promotional material. The fact is that you do not realise this feature is missing until you try to use it!

It's already been proven that PN do state this, just because it's not front and center or they don't run an advertising campaign to say so doesn't change the facts (no matter how you twist the facts to suit).

BTW, is that a royal 'we' you're using?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Insult removed as per Forum rules.

andy753

Hi!

I am very happy with PN mobile - except the policy of not supporting sms short codes. I have just discovered that my bank needs them. Please review this policy ASAP. Thanks!!

Sadclient
Grafter

Dont hold your breath andy753!
PN are not likely to change this policy anytime soon, probably never. Why would they?
There is no incentive for them to do so unless lots of people vote with their feet and start to leave which is unlikely since this particular issue does does not apparently seem concern that many people enough and PN have shown that they are not much interested in the opinions and concerns of some customers if it isnt affecting their overall profits and have never shown much respect or sympathy in this area. 

glocal
Rising Star

I was about to move two connections to PN until I saw this thread. If I understand this correctly, it means, for example, I will get hospital appointment reminders but I won't be be able to confirm with a YES etc. If that is true, I am staying with my current mobile telecom. 

Out of interest, silly and patronising explanations aside, can anyone guess why PN won't support shortcodes? There must be a reason, particularly if it costs them in subscriber numbers and bad PR. 

jgfrancis
Grafter

I believe this is for business reasons. As Plusnet are a low cost provider, they cut some services such as short code messaging, and provide a basic voicemail service. If they offered a full all-inclusive service, there would be no reason for anyone to use EE, another member of BT Group.

glocal
Rising Star

That could be true if a significant proportion of customers knew about these limitations in advance. PN would then look like the cut down version of EE, which would help justify the lower cost. But most people won't know about the basic voicemail etc before they subscribe -- I didn't until you mentioned it. Not supporting shortcodes alienates some potential subscribers but it's not obvious enough to be part of a marketing strategy. It is one of those odd things about PN -- like stubbornly refusing for years to make connections to its mailservers secure over public wifi despite concerned users demanding it for years and against industry standards. 

Sadclient
Grafter

Yes I'm sure this is the case, they surely must have some reason for not providing a full service.
However other low cost providers still seem to be able to offer lower prices than EE's standard tariff while still on the EE network without sacrificing short code text facility, Virgin Mobile being one example, also Tesco,Talk Talk, GiffGaff, BT, Economy, 1Mobile etc.

Wibblyp
Rising Star

I think it's all a bit sad. I quite like PN and were with them when I joined Metronet, although not the same company. I, like others, believe that a more upfront stance from PN would have been positive in allowing users to make their own minds up. I have considered the views of some that state their happiness with the way it is but would suggest this is nothing they could not do on their own device.

If there is an argument from PN then it should be stated, not put off, debated or otherwise diverted from the customers attention. I find some of the platitudes coming from PN over the years concerning this matter quite offensive.

I have no objection to a company making a profit. Just do not assume we're all idiots as customers.

I have stuck by this company for many years but I will now call time, I will sacrifice coverage, I will pay more but that is my choice and not one that I will take easily-all for the sake of short SMS.