cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet mobile does not support shortcodes to sms!

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: Plusnet mobile does not support shortcodes to sms!

So you think I should change to Virgin for £1 extra but around ⅔ 's of the included minutes & data that I get with Plusnet?

Sadclient
Grafter

I don't really mind what you do! I have no particular preference for Virgin or any other provider but if you do a little research you can find all sorts of deals. Now I don't know what terms you have with PN nor do I know what is currently on offer elswhere but when I changed about 2 or 3 months back I had 2g data and 500m calls with PN for £8 on a 30 day contract, I went to virgin and and now get 3gb data, unlimited calls, data rollover, no extra on data roaming, cheaper MMS charges, EE 4G coverage, shortcode support, 30 day contract all for £9. OK it's £1 more than I was paying but, for me, it's a no-brainer. Especially after months of trying to reason with Plusnet and being continually fobbed off, argued with and even insulted by them (see previous posts & FB page). I suppose it depends what matters to you personally in the end, all I am saying is you aren't happy with what you're getting or how you're treated then vote with your feet, it's the only way that you can get satisfaction in the end and the only incentive for companies like plusnet to take notice and up their game.
Colin_Maybe
Pro

I thought Virgin were 12 month contracts or am I reading their website wrong? That is possible I know as I've always found their TV & BB websites hopelessly complicated and seemingly purposely designed to confuse.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sadclient ,

I am very interested in getting unlimited calls/ 3GB  data texts ???? on 4G not bothered if its 1 month or twelve months for only £9.00

Problem is I've looked on the Virgin website and USwitch and unfortunately cannot find anything like that.

Are you already a Virgin customer and where it you find that great deal ?

Colin_Maybe
Pro

Unless you're determined to leave Plusnet for your own reasons:

Unlimited minutes 
Unlimited texts 
5GB 4g data 

£10 per month on a 30 day rolling contract

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-sim-only-contracts#midpick

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Colin,

That's great value and EE coverage which is very good where I live and you can use tethering .

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again Colin Just done taken up the offer the offer ends Monday 7th Aug

.Far better than mates rates etc etc

Sadclient
Grafter

Hi Colin_Maybe,
I agree that VM website is poor, but they're certainly not alone in that respect! I can confirm that they definitely do a 30  day contract as I'm on it! I don't know if they still have the same deal I'm on, I found it originally through the Uswitch site, it was a special deal unique to Uswitch but if its not currently available it's worth checking every now and then as the deals and offers do change. I do not use VM TV but do have their landline and BB at present.

Sadclient
Grafter

Hi 8BKA,
See my previous reply to Colin_Maybe 

"I agree that VM website is poor, but they're certainly not alone in that respect! I can confirm that they definitely do a 30  day contract as I'm on it! I don't know if they still have the same deal I'm on, I found it originally through the Uswitch site, it was a special deal unique to Uswitch but if its not currently available it's worth checking every now and then as the deals and offers do change. I do not use VM TV but do have their landline and BB at present."

I dont think my deal was just for VM customers, it was a Uswitch exclusive at the time.

Sadclient
Grafter

Re; Colin_Maybe
Yes OK but I did have good reason to leave Plusnet which I will not go over again as it has been thoroughly explained many times in previous posts in this forum as well as on PN facebook pages.

• I get the same data allowance but importantly I can roll over any unused data to the following month, this happens most of the time which means I often have 5gb or more at my disposal! If for any (unlikely) reason I need more than that I can purchase a one-off data pack for a small extra fee (even with this It still works out cheaper than Plusnet).
  • I get unlimited minutes
  • Unlimited texts
  • Cap my usage so my bills dont go too high (limit set by me and changeable by me)
  • No extra charges for roaming.
  • Charges for MMS, pictures and Video are cheaper than Plusnet.
  • Free data (does not come from allowance) when using Facebook and Watsapp.
  • Free use of 250,000 Wifi hotspots across the UK.
  • Bluetooth & Wifi tethering is standard at no extra charge.
  • SMS short code support.
  • EE's 4G network.
  • 30 day rolling contract.

For £9!  £1 more than I was paying Plusnet (for less product) and £1 less than your recent post recommendation (still for less product in my opinion).

Still think I should have stayed with Plusnet? Why? 
Anyway it's not simply all about cost and who's cheapest (this is always changing anyway), it's about value, level of service and whether you have reason to be happy with a particular provider. Clearly I was not happy and moved on and I will have no problem moving again if I have good reason to. It is equally clear that you are happy to stay with Plusnet despite their shortcomings, presumably you have not experienced any problems or issues. I wish you well.

Colin_Maybe
Pro

My post was in reply to @Anonymous not yourself @Sadclient and they've taken the offer up.

Sadclient
Grafter

Hi Colin_Maybe.
No problem, I note your post was to another but my response to you is nevertheless relevant. The fact that 8BKA has elected to join Plusnet actually holds little or no interest for me but it's nice that they feel they have got a good deal and I hope they remain pleased with the service.
As you seem to be a a big fan and advocate of Plusnet, may I ask respectfully, are you connected with the company in anyway?
Colin_Maybe
Pro

Your long and (presumably) well researched and no doubt time consuming post is not relevant at all since you're replying to someone who wasn't actually talking to yourself.

I'm ignoring your last question as childish.

Sadclient
Grafter

Aha! So now you are resorting to sarcasm, rudeness and insult. This is a pity but I guess it exposes ones true character.
You should know that this is a public forum, the point of a forum is that anyone can comment  and contribute to anyone else's comments and contributions.
And your strange, rude and defensive response to my last, perfectly polite, reasonable and understandable question suggests that I have somehow "touched a nerve" so maybe we have the answer anyway.

Sadclient
Grafter

Hi gsgsgs
I have left Plusnet now mostly because of this particular issue but also because of PN attitude and poor responses to any questions relating to short-code sms. It doesn't just cause problems with donations but also all kinds of other issues such as banking, NHS, government agencies, online account servicing and many other aspects of modern life.

Of course you are mature enough to choose when and how to use short-codes and you are right, you should really be given the choice. Or at least have it made clear on the outset that this is an incomplete service which cannot (or will not) offer this feature BEFORE you make the decision to sign up. I don't think it's likely that PN is going to change any time soon as I do not believe the necessary mind-sets prevail within the company.

To be honest I don't think they are able to include normal short-code sms, either because of technical shortcomings or maybe for financial reasons, possibly they have a cut down deal with EE which gives them a bigger margin if short code service is omitted.  Clearly this is just conjecture on my part and I do not actually know the facts which is not surprising because you cant ever seem to get a straight, sensible, honest and consistent answer from them regarding this issue. The fact they they seem to have little interest in the very large numbers of complaints about it yet remain in denial, immovable and resistant to any change in service, attitude or policy suggests that think very little of their customers opinions.

If this matters to you you might do as I have done and seek an alternative mobile service provider, there are always lots of good deals out there.
Good luck.