cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet mobile account showing data usage even with handset mobile data disabled

st3v31963
Hooked

Plusnet mobile account showing data usage even with handset mobile data disabled

Hi

My account is showing small amounts (less than 1 megabyte/day) of data usage even when my handset has mobile data turned off. This is obviously not a problem in the UK or EU but is when roaming further as even tiny amounts of data usage costs ££ and Plusnet don’t offer a roaming data add-on. 

The handset is an LG Nexus 5X running Android 8.0.1.  I do know about the Android 8 developer options force data on issue, and that is turned off on my handset.

Any other suggestions for where to look or what to disable? Has anyone else seen a similar issue?

Short of swapping to a 2G calls/text only device when roaming outside the EU, is there anything else I can do?

2 REPLIES 2
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Re: Plusnet mobile account showing data usage even with handset mobile data disabled

Hi st3v31963,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. 

If you're data is turned off via the handset, then there should be no data usage recorded on the SIM card. If we're receiving usage, I would advise to speak with the handset manufacturer to ensure that there is no fault with the functionality of the mobile data tab. I'd also advise to check for any updates in relation the operating software. 

- Rebeka 

st3v31963
Hooked

Re: Plusnet mobile account showing data usage even with handset mobile data disabled

Hi, thanks for your reply.  I have swapped my SIM into a calls/text only dumb handset with no  WAP profiles set up, so there should be really be no possibility of data usage on the account.  

This is should isolate the issue to the handset or the account, and I will update this thread with the results.

Next step will be a factory reset on the handset to fully remove any installed apps that may be ignoring the data off setting.  

Android Oreo does have some reported issues with data usage, but supposedly they are fixed in the maintenance releases, and I have the latest available.