Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet SIM in Router

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Plusnet SIM in Router

Hi,

Is there any reason why a Plusnet SIM wouldn't work in a DSL router or Dongle?  Or any prohibition from Plusnet for that matter.

Thanks, Tony S

13 REPLIES 13
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Plusnet SIM in Router

Hi Tony,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I'm afraid our SIM's don't support the functionality required to operate within a dongle or ADSL router environment - they're designed to be used purely in mobile handsets at present. 

Best wishes

Dave

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Can't really give too much away here.... But not supporting and actually working are two different things.

A friend whom purchased a PN PAYG sim currently has one installed in a home alarm system Roll_eyes

(he was telling the providers why he wanted one (for his alarm) and all said nope, we don't do that. I told him not to mention why he wanted it and he gave it try) Wink

It sends via data an arm/disarm message plus both data and text messages whenever it goes off. It's been running for at least 2 months without issue so far. As far as the sim goes, it thinks it's in a phone (uses the PN phone number to send alerts). Being as you want it for a router or dongle, I'm not sure if it'll work for you.

Now I'm not saying you'll have the same luck, but if you have a PN sim card already then you could try it...?

(but don't buy one based on what I've said, as you may not be so lucky)

aesmith
Pro

Thanks.  I do have a Plusnet SIM at the moment, only with a small data allowance but it would be enough to test. I can but try. 

DS
Seasoned Champion

Sounds like a good plan imho Wink

If it doesn't work, it's only cost you a bit of wasted time.

aesmith
Pro

Unfortunately Plusnet appear to be correct in this instance.  My SIM does not work in the Huawei E3372 dongle that I was testing with.  I'm going to try it in a native 4G router just to see, but I expect that won't work either.   Shame because Plusnet would make quite a good option for 4G backup with a low monthly charge, then just pay for usage when the backup is actually needed.  

DS
Seasoned Champion

Doh! so tick that one off as a no then Sad

I still think it was worth wasting time though Wink

Hopefully plan b/c/d/e/f might give a better result....? Lips_are_sealed

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@aesmith  did you try manually creating the APN ? Maybe the SIM defaults didn't get assigned correctly

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

aesmith
Pro

Cheers.  APN settings appeared to populate automatically, but I also tried manually.  FYI the dongle is normally used with an EE data SIM (same APN settings as Plusnet) but it also works with Three just be swapping the SIM.   Will try with a router just for the hell of it but I expect that not to work either.

aesmith
Pro

It works in a Huawei B525 router, and delivers decent speed as well.  I know that will depend on location but it indicates that Plusnet's implementation of EEs network is not overly crippled.  Interestingly it used Band 3 (1800MHz) where the same router in the same location used Band 20 (800MHz) on both O2 and Three.   I'm not sure if that is or isn't significant given that O2 on Band 20 was 50% faster than Plusnet/EE, but Three also on Band 20 was half the speed.  

DS
Seasoned Champion

Glad to hear you found something it works in.

(though maybe PN do have future plans, they did say 'at present').

A possible Plusnet Hub 2/Smart Hub with Plusnet Mobile data back up...?

aesmith
Pro

Mobile data as backup would be a great service for many people.  Nowadays even entry level routers support this using a USB dongle.  One obstacle is a shortage of sensible tariffs suitable for backup, ideally you either want non-expiring PAYG or a low monthly fee for a small data allowance but with reasonable rates for out of plan usage.

Ironically we're considering 4G as our main Internet, possibly with DSL as backup.

DS
Seasoned Champion

I believe such a thing exists with some variants of the BTH6 - it has a data (back up) facility, though I've only seen them listed with this on an auction site....?

Not one to blow my own trumpet, but I may or may not have told BT management of an idea of mine back in 2008/9 - a method to get their customers back online using a Sim Data 'box', roll on 10 years and they did just that. Still not heard about any royalties I'm due!! (Same for wifi in every room, still waiting for that too).

Let's say PN come up with a router with a mobile data system hard wired into the router, which reverts to data in the event of loss of BB. It should, imho, come as part of the package and thus at no extra cost to us. Let's see if this ever happens and whether I get any thanks for that idea too..?

We too have been exploring Data as our primary method, which is something I may need to consider in the future Wink

aesmith
Pro

Technically there's no problem, for example both my Billion and Zyxel routers support 4G backup via a USB dongle so it wouldn't surprise me if the BT Homehub could as well.  It's the tariff where providers need to get clever for it to make sense.  I believe that BT have a scheme where if you have a broadband fault they lift the data cap on any mobiles on the same account.  I guess that Plusnet could do the same if they choose.  Even better would be a tariff where out of bundle usage charges weren't punitive so that customers could switch the 4G say if their broadband was a bit flakey but not actually broken,