Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Mobile - total shutdown

edrandall
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Plusnet Mobile - total shutdown

@fbowles thanks, that's a revelation, I had no idea.
*Crunch* as jaw hits the floor.
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

https://www.4g.co.uk/news/mid-contract-price-rises/

Re mid contract price rises, it depends on provider and whether 30 days rolling and/or 12 months minimum.

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

It's a major rip off. Increasing in line with inflation is understandable, but the +3.9% means they want to cover their costs and then add a bit more just for them to keep for themselves.  Having said that I managed to keep my £6.00/month with Plusnet by re-signing each year onto a new deal at the same price each time they hit me with a price rise.

Wibblyp
Rising Star

£36 a year with 1p mobile, all good so far . Time’ll tell .

Wibblyp
Rising Star

I got to £5.85 a month before this nonsense.

Smith7
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

With RWG you can get a plan £40 for 5GB per month U/L U/L not 250MB that's £3.33 per month

I use it as my spare phone they use EE and the coverage is great 

If you need extra data if you use your phone to hotspot there are Add Ons  eg 10GB for 30 days at only £9 very useful 

The consumer service is not great all done by email messages but well worth a look

jamieallan
Grafter

Hi @edrandall 

I received the email yesterday regarding 'plusnet mobile closing in the coming months'.  There's a 5GB for £6 banner for moving to EE in the email. Due to plusnet previously making an error I have more than one mobile number on my account so I could not do this transfer online and had to call 0800 0791133. My transfer has been put in motion and it is for £6 per month for 5GB data/unlimited minutes/unlimited texts.

srangeley
Grafter

Hi all,

We keep getting the URGENT messages from Plusnet that their 3G service is closing in January (which I don't dispute). However they still haven't said when their total shutdown is going to be!

We're still planning on moving to 1pMobile - I want to keep free roaming as I like my holidays(!) and there's no annual price rises either.

Currently they're offering 4GB for £7.50 or 25GB for £10 instead of £12.50. From past usage the 4GB plan would probably be enough for me and definitely enough for my Dad but my brother may need the 25GB plan.

Just wondering whether to take the plunge now and jump ship or keep hanging on until the death?!?

Anyone already on 1pMobile got any opinions/advice please?

Thanks

Steven

aesmith
Pro

Why wait? If you hold on to the bitter end you may have to move in a hurry, maybe at an inconvenient time. The sooner you move the sooner you start saving, and the sooner you start benefiting from things like WiFi calling etc.

Protech
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Agree the above, unless you have a specific reason to remain with Plusnet.
To put things into perspective I've been running dual sims, one EE and one Lebara, for less than the cost of my old plusnet contract.
Ok these are both on promotions that will end soon, however it does highlight how uncompetitive and feature poor, no 4g calling, wifi calling, sms short codes etc Plusnet mobile had become compared to its peers in the "value" market segment.
You can check out but you can never leave ( easily)
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi
I have no problems with 1p mobile.
They have access to 4G calling (VoLTE) and WiFi calling (VoWiFi) and access to EE's 800 MHz frequency (which equates to much better indoor signals). Plusnet mobile does not support any of these.
I tried Plusnet mobile a couple of years ago but left within 14 days as the indoor coverage was close to zero in my house.
No such problems with 1p mobile.
Regards
Richard
pkw
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

@Protech wrote:
Ok these are both on promotions that will end soon

Slightly off topic but I'm curious is that about the EE deals for PN customers, are you saying they are going to go up?

aesmith
Pro

A few years down the, one I can't see EE continuing with a lower price for ex-Plusnet customer.

srangeley
Grafter

Thanks all - I went ahead last night and ordered my SIM card from 1pMobile on the 4GB plan. I've had an e-mail this morning saying it's been dispatched so it should arrive in the next few days (Christmas post permitting!).

Steven

Protech
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

@pkw
I moved to EE back in May, which was on the original £8 deal that got revised to £6, then a 50% off promotion was applied so it's been £3 per month ever since. My understanding is that promotion was only for 6 months.
You can check out but you can never leave ( easily)