Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Mobile - total shutdown

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 423

Re: Plusnet Mobile - total shutdown

According to this https://www.4g.co.uk/lycamobile-4g-coverage-and-network-summary/ no VoLTE or wifi calling

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

simonpplf
Grafter

It's possibly a bit early to say ? Google speed test says 86.4 / 17.0 DL/ UL which is the fastest I've ever seen though pn is 50 on my other phone
pkw
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

@MisterW thanks, useful website too, although they still say Lyca is on O2 so not updated but I guess their features will likely remain the same after move to EE

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

From experience and others', Lyca's customer service leaves much to be desired.

I'm sure many have a perfectly good service, but when something goes awry not that good.

e.g. their C.S. reps will just hang up if a query is not immediately answerable, their virtual assistant, LIA, is like most others, useless etc..

Simon54
Dabbler

Hi folks, 

Long time (and very happy) plusnet mobile user here. I have 3 plans with them and am very disappointed that the service is ending. 

It's a long time since I switched providers so I have a quick question. I've ordered 2 Lebara sims, hopefully here by Monday or Tuesday next week. My plusnet rolling 30 day plan renews on Friday 21st. If I put the new sim in and use my pac code will the move be done by the Friday? I seem to remember it only being a few hours in the past but have read in can be days/a week? 

Thanks in advance.

Simon

peterhr
Rising Star

My pac transfer to laboratory took a few days.  Plusnet refunded pro rata for the days automatically quickly.

I also took out a fibre contract with Zen, then ported my landline number to an existing sipgate basic account ... this closed my plusnet account that had been running for well before bt bought them.

Why zen? ... I trust them more not to apply a price escalator each march.

Smith7
All Star
Fixes: 3

@Simon54 wrote:

It's a long time since I switched providers so I have a quick question. I've ordered 2 Lebara sims, hopefully here by Monday or Tuesday next week. My plusnet rolling 30 day plan renews on Friday 21st. If I put the new sim in and use my pac code will the move be done by the Friday? I seem to remember it only being a few hours in the past but have read in can be days/a week? 

Thanks in advance.

Simon

When you receive the new sims from Lebara check they are working and use the Lebara  on line form see below it's all done very quickly . You get emails advising you of the progress I found it very good when I changed to  special Lebara deal via USwitch

https://mobile.lebara.com/nl/en/aanvraagnummerbehoud

Good luck

Simon54
Dabbler

Thanks, was that a 30 day rolling contract like mine or a 12 month one? 

Smith7
All Star

@Simon54 wrote:

Thanks, was that a 30 day rolling contract like mine or a 12 month one? 

Mine was a 30 day I had been with them since Life Mobile

I changed half way through the 30 days all on line both PNet and Lebara for the codes and refund from PNet for the days left paid back into my bank account was very pleased 

I found dealing via USwitch very easy that's where I had the Life deal from 

Simon54
Dabbler

Thanks again Smith7 & Peterhr for the replies, that's great to hear as I don't really want to pay another month to plusnet and be on another sim contract from day 1 or 2 of the new month refresh. 

I got the Lebara deal through Uswitch this time...unlimited texts and calls with 5gb data for £5 - that's less than I was paying plusnet! With eu roaming and some international calls it's a no brainer. I think wifi calling is also included. I find it totally bizarre that BT are throwing away all these customers and their piece of the cheaper plan market. 

Again, many thanks for the quick replies and fingers crossed it all goes smoothly next week. 

Smith7
All Star

Yes WiFi is included if needed and a discount for the first three months £1.98 and the best thing I think is no stupid price increases every March CPI plus 3.9%

I have the 21GB plan because I use the Hot Spot when at the caravan £7.95 a bargain 

Please let us know how you go on   

pkw
Aspiring Pro

I have a question, everybody seems to be rushing to change networks but what is the point really if we haven't been told by PN the timeline of the service ceasing, surely they won't just switch it off overnight? As of now, I see no reason to switch yet.

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@pkw 

In my particular case, my 12 month contract was coming to an end and I had already been moved to a rolling 30 day contract.

There were a couple of aspects of Plusnet's Mobile service that I wasn't happy with anyway, so I was thinking about leaving even before the closure was announced.

The lack of WiFi Calling was one. Whilst according to the OFCOM coverage checker maps, the EE network had one of the best coverages across my home town, in my actual house it was the worst of the four MNO's.

The EE coverage map also doesn't show deficiencies due to Plusnet not having access to all of EE's frequencies, (I haven't seen any map that actually takes this into account?) - something else that I did notice.

Having been an EE Mobile customer prior to joining PN, I knew what the real coverage was likely to be like. The only reason that I left EE before was the cost.

Having now moved to EE via Plusnet's "special offers", I think that I now have the best of both worlds: EE's network coverage and WiFi Calling, at Plusnet's prices.  😀

pkw
Aspiring Pro

@Mr_Paul For me too there are things about PN that annoy me, I wouldn't mind better coverage and shortcodes support would be good but it's not a must, so for now I'm happy with them for the price. I just don't like the hassle of switching because I take too long to research different options. I'd go with EE but lack of free roaming in the EU is a problem.

srangeley
Grafter

@pkw

Same here, I'm planning on moving to 1pMobile for free EU coverage but won't be moving until I'm forced to as it will still cost me more than I'm paying Plusnet now!