Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Mobile - total shutdown

catphone
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Re: Plusnet Mobile - total shutdown

I went to GiffGaff about month ago.

(Didn’t want the PN axe hanging over me)

Current plan: £10 for 20GB data. 

(Shifted Broadband to full fibre to the door too. Getting over 10x speed for less wonga)

Still bad move by PN communication wise.

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

@MisterW  - beat me to it re GiffGaff . Was just researching last night prior to asking for PAC when I found the disappointing answer re no wifi calling. As we are in a mobile desert we need wifi calling when we (possibly) lose our landline. Oh well , back to the drawing board......

peterhr
Rising Star

You need a voip account from the likes of sipgate,  you can install sip software on your phone to make calls over any Internet connection even on holiday.  If you make low use of your home phone, it will probably be cheaper than taking service from your connection provider.

Of corse you can get voip phones and ATA (analog telephone adaptors)

Robo2PNForum
Hooked

I signed up with Plusnet mobile and discovered one major issue and one minor: the two locations I use my mobile phone most, i.e. work and home, are poorly served by radio masts. At work I often used to see an "E" symbol on my iPhone. I'd never even heard of an EDGE signal before, which I understand is a technology that lives somwhere between 2g and 3g. 

The other thing I needed was WiFi calling.

EE has access to more radio frequencies in certain locations, a feature denied to Plusnet mobile, as is WiFi calling. 

For me the move to EE helped. Bigger monthly bill though.

Protech
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Just moved to the EE 5gb offer of £8 per month reducing to £6 after month 2.

Decided to stick with EE for coverage reasons.

Advisor told me Plusnet mobile will close at the end of June !

You can check out but you can never leave ( easily)
Dirkdiggler
Grafter

If that's the case they really aren't giving people a lot of time. There will still be people blissfully unaware of what's going on due to the lack of Comms. I've still had no generic email from PN/EE. Only reason I know is from coming on here..then my mother messaged me and ask me if PN was closing as it was trending on her phone (to be fair with just that statement alone I nearly spat my coffee out as she's mid 70s 🤣). I'm just waiting on the 1p mob sims coming.
srangeley
Grafter

No, nothing here either.

I'll be moving to 1pMobile too along with my Dad and my brother and it's mainly the EE roaming charges that's the reason (in my case anyway).

I haven't ordered a SIM yet due to not knowing the timescales involved and also my month contract has just rolled over so I'd be paying twice for the same period.

Hopefully your SIMs will arrive on Tuesday/Wednesday and you can let us know that everything went smoothly!

Steven

celsoazevedo
Grafter

@davidj66 Smarty (Three) and Lebara (Vodafone) have wifi calling.

When I tested Lebara a few months ago, wifi calling was only enabled after ~one week. Smarty worked right away.

peterhr
Rising Star

Lebara worked for me the day after I got the SIM card (the switch was 6.30am)

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@peterhr 

Are you saying that WiFi Calling worked the next day, or just calls and texts on the Lebara mobile network, ie via the masts?

@celsoazevedo was saying that for them, WiFi Calling took a week to be enabled with Lebara - something that I have seen others reporting too, (along with incomplete number porting!).

peterhr
Rising Star

Number porting was the following day.   I dontvthink ,y phone does wifi calling.

ashn
Dabbler

After plenty of searching, I've just signed up to Vodafone Basics - £8 a month for 20GB via a link on the Daily Mail voucher site, which also promises a £25 Amazon voucher, deal expires today. (I'm not a Daily Mail reader, but found it searching for the best deal - listed on there as £9 a month but it adds to basket at £8).

You don't get roaming I believe, or 5G, but no speed limit on 4G it appears, and VeryMe rewards etc. 

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@ashn 

Do you get WiFi Calling with that deal?

ashn
Dabbler

@Mr_Paul According to forum posts in the last year, people had Wifi Calling enabled on the Basics plan, and it isn't listed under the 'What's not included' section. But I can't confirm personally as it will be a few days before my SIM arrives.

Smith7
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@Mr_Paul wrote:

@ashn 

Do you get WiFi Calling with that deal? 

You don't get WiFi calling or 4G calling on their Basics SIMs. While you get both WiFi calling and 4G calling on Vodafone's regular pay monthly plans at no extra cost, you don't get these benefits on a Basics plan.24 Oct 2022 "

You also get the increases every March/April the reason I left PlusNet

I am very pleased with Lebara a good Vodafone signal no increases 5G if required and WiFi calling all included and only 30 day deal 😁😁😁