Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Mobile - total shutdown

lyndonp
Grafter

Re: Plusnet Mobile - total shutdown

I guess not very many people would have seen that quiet BT annoucement😂

Doesn't excuse PN for the annoucement PN mobile is closing has come (for me and no doubt a few others) from a MSE newsletter!!!😠

They need to come out and tell people NOW by when their customers will need to move.It really is not good enough. If it is 6 months then fine, but tell us now so we can decide what to do. I would move now before I go away but why should I lose out on my months current payment which has only just been taken.

peterhr
Rising Star

Management decision - we must make our mark on the company!

Just how many customers who they assumed would move will actually leave half a million? more?

lyndonp
Grafter

Well the cheapo resellers like Lebara, Smarty etc. offer far better value. EE £8 for 5Gb, Smarty 12Gb for £8. For £10 a month you can get 30Gb compared to EE 10Gb.

(My wife applied for Smarty on Monday evening  (5G, wi-fi calling, roaming in the EU), new Sim arrive Wednesday, 4gb for £5 then it is £6 after £12. She activated it Thursday pm and it ported her number over this morning. Three is not quite as strong inside our house as EE but wi-fi calling works.)

dhleslie
Hooked

Yep, I left the mobile service at the last price increase because I could, wish now it was the same for broadband - or maybe that's closing too?

celsoazevedo
Grafter

I doubt Plusnet will, without any warning, give everyone 30 days to move or lose their number. Let's not create and get mad at a problem that doesn't exist. The service is operating normally, there's no rush, let's stay calm.

Now, regarding the alternatives.

EE, like any proper network (Vodafone, Three, O2), are more expensive than virtual providers like Plusnet. They might not be the best option for you if you want to pay less, so what you want to look at is other virtual networks and see if you need to stay the the more expensive EE network or if you can use a cheaper alternative.

EE:

Like PN mobile, other providers on EE's network don't give you as much data. It's a trade-off between network quality (in some areas) and what your money gets you.

If you want or need to stay with EE's network, the best option is 1pMobile. There's free EU roaming (14GB) and unlike PN mobile, they have 5G access and your phone can use long range bands (eg: B20) which increases coverage in rural areas or indoors. One possible downside is that they don't have a mobile app, you need to use their site to see your usage.

There are also providers like RWG Mobile and Now Mobile, but feedback for them on sites like ISPReview are not great. They also don't have 5G or full network access like 1pmobile. In terms of network access, it's like Plusnet.

THREE/VODAFONE/O2:

This is where you'll find better deals as these networks are cheaper, so virtual providers can give you more for less. What's the catch? Well, every network has bad spots, but overall I think these networks have more bad spots than EE.

For example, in a place like London EE isn't the slowest or the fastest, but overall it's the most balanced network. If on Three I go from failing to load a video on 4G to competing with fibre speeds while using their 5G, on EE it doesn't get so bad that I can't use my data, but is also isn't as fast as Three's 5G. Overall EE is better for me because it's more consistent. For those in rural areas, the problem might be different (eg: coverage between towns).

I don't mean to scare you with this... In some areas these networks are actually better than EE. It's something to keep in mind and to test.

Three:

- Smarty: 5G, full network access, 30 day plans, wifi calling, nice app/website, 12GB of EU roaming, discounts if you have more than one SIM in your account. Owned by Three. Very good if you're okay with Three's network.

Vodafone:

- Lebara: 5G, full network access, 30 day plans, wifi calling, nice app, good prices for international calls, 30GB of EU roaming (and some other countries too).

- Voxi: Owned by Vodafone, so it's a "Vodafone Lite". They have some interesting plans, including unlimited data for some social media. No free roaming.

- Talkmobile: They give you a lot of data, which is the only nice thing I can tell you about them. 5G available, but no free EU roaming for new customers... I didn't like their support and their app looks terrible, but it's a good option if you want a lot of data in the UK and need Vodafone. Also, they increase their prices every year.

O2:

- GiffGaff: Similar to Smarty/Voxi, owned by O2. There's 5G, 5GB of EU roaming, active community. Not the best prices though.

- LycaMobile: A bit like TalkMobile, I think. Gives you a lot of data on O2 and includes 5G, but I don't think they have wifi calling or free roaming for new customers.

- Virgin Media: Since Virgin Media and O2 are the same company now, you can get discounts or more data if you also have your broadband with them.

GET THE BEST PRICES:

The best way to get low prices on these virtual networks is by using something like uSwitch: https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/compare/sim_only_deals/

If you're eligible for social tariffs, then sometimes both the virtual networks and the main networks have good plans. For example, Smarty gives you unlimited for £12. (I don't know how it works as I don't receive benefits, but the option is there if you do.)

WHICH ONE TO PICK:

Honestly, I don't know. It depends on a few things.

- If you don't want to change networks, go with 1pMobile. It's a bit more expensive (or give you less) than Plusnet Mobile, but it's almost like using EE directly. For some, it might be worth going with a long term EE contract or EE pay-as-you-go.

- If you want to try something else, it's hard to find something better than Smarty. The question is if Three's network is good enough for your needs/in your area. You need to give it a try.

- If you want to use Vodafone, I think Lebara's plans via uSwitch is the way to go. Maybe Voxi, if you prefer their plans.

- O2... I think their virtual networks are not as competitive right now. I'd probably go with GiffGaff as that's what I know.

Remember: with 30 day plans, you can move networks every month. I did it a few months ago to test the networks and 5G. You already know EE's performance, there's only 3 networks left to test. Keep it simple and don't over complicate things. Also, after finding a good network, you don't need to test them all.

WHAT I'LL DO:

We used to have 4 numbers with PN Mobile, now it's down to 2.

- One was transferred to 1pMobile because we needed full EE network (B20/long range/indoors) coverage in that SIM and a restricted PN mobile wasn't enough in the rural area where it's now being used.

- Another number (mine) got transferred to Vodafone. I wasn't happy with Vodafone and now I'm with Smarty/Three (120GB for £12). Not as good as EE around here, but works well enough for me.

The other 2 numbers are still with PN mobile because I had no reason to move them. As soon I have to, my plan is to move one to 1pMobile as I want that SIM to stay with EE and the other will be moved to Smarty.

I'm not going to move the 2 numbers yet though. Plusnet hasn't informed me of a service shutdown yet and since it only takes a few days to get a new SIM and transfer a number, I don't see a reason to "panic".

Moderators Note: Post edited at posters request regarding GiffGaff

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@celsoazevedo 

Thank you for your detailed assessment of the options available.

For my part, I did choose to move to EE. Here's why:

I am a very low data user - my Plusnet Mobile package was for 5GB + 2GB extra for having PN home broadband. The thing is, my monthly usage only occasionally exceeds 1GB per month and even then not by much, so the 2GB bonus was never used.

I never go abroad, and have no interest in doing so - so Roaming isn't an issue for me.

The rest of my family are all on O2, so I wanted to avoid them or any MVNO on their network, to keep network diversity in case of technical problems with one of the MNOs.

Your observation about EE's coverage being more level / balanced / consistent than other networks ties in with my own experience.

EE is actually the worst signal of the four inside my home, according to OFCOM, but the most consistent across my home town and is good once I go outside locally. I am writing this at my desk, my mobile has one bar of EE signal, (-112dBm 28asu if that means something to you), but WiFi calling works really well - so that isn't an issue for me.

Finally, Customer Service: something that is very important to me. In my experience, companies often put their best call centre staff / UK call centres on Sales, to get customers signed up. But once they've got you signed up, if you have a problem you could be speaking to someone on the other side of the world.

I was all set to move to Lebara, but I just had a couple of questions that I needed answering - so I phoned them:

One of the questions was about what numbers were, and were not, included in the call plan. I had found two documents on their website which contradicted each other regarding this. The Lebara person I spoke to was in India I think. Nothing wrong with that, but his command of English wasn't great. Explaining the question was difficult, and then he advised that both documents were correct - they couldn't be, they were saying different things! I gave up in the end.

AFAIK, all of EE's call centres are in the UK / Ireland?

My PN SIM that I paid £6/month for was cheaper than my new EE one at £8/month. I have lost 2GB of data per month and free Roaming - neither of which I use. I have gained access to the extra frequencies that EE has but PN doesn't, and WiFi Calling - I am already benefiting from both.

OK, it's costing me an extra £2/month, (a 33% increase if you want to look at it that way), but I'm very happy with my choice: I see it as getting the extra EE over PN benefits without having to pay EE's high prices, (their current price for what I have now is £25/month!!).

My only slight concern is that it is a rolling 30 day contract. Most people see this as a good thing because they can leave quickly if they want to, but I also think that it means that EE could increase their prices with only a month's notice. If they do, then I might move again.

Smith7
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@celsoazevedo wrote:

There are also providers like RWG Mobile and Now Mobile, but feedback for them on sites like ISPReview are not great. They also don't have 5G or full network access like 1pmobile. In terms of network access, it's like Plusnet.

Very informative post  really enjoyed reading it 

RWG does have full 5G but not WiFi calling they say WiFI calling is coming soon 

I transferred my back up mobile from Three to RWG nearly three weeks ago because I changed my PN main mobile to Lebara and wanted to keep access to the EE signal the worst thing I have done the number has still not been ported

No one at RWG answers the phone you have to email and it takes ages for them to reply

RWG keep blaming EE they say say I'm not the only person who has not been ported

So be very careful keep well clear of RWG I thing they are getting far too many new customers and cannot cope 

celsoazevedo
Grafter

@Mr_Paul I don't know about support, to be honest. Usually I put the SIM in my phone, change the APN settings if needed, and it works. I avoid calling support. Since a lot can be done directly on the site (eg: change plans, limits, porting a number, etc), sometimes I go years before having to contact them.

The reason I know TalkMobile isn't great is because something happened with my account and I only could login to my account via their (terrible) app. I couldn't close my account because it required me to login on the website. Then I had to send them my ID to get the issue resolved. It wasn't a good experience.

On a side note, for those who don't want to have everything in the same basket, keep in mind networks share some equipment/masts. EE and Three have a partnership (MBNL), so do Vodafone and O2 (CTIL).

So if all your family is on O2, instead of picking Vodafone, go with EE or Three. If everyone is on EE, go with Vodafone or O2.

This might change in the future as Vodafone wants to buy Three, but for now there are 2 "baskets": EE+Three and Vodafone+O2.

--

@Smith7 I didn't know RWG now had 5G. Sadly I can't update my post anymore.

They seem a bit iffy for me... the bad feedback, plus the issues with previous iterations of the business... I don't know. I prefer to pay 2 or 3 pounds more to avoid some headaches later on.

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@celsoazevedo 

" I avoid calling support. Since a lot can be done directly on the site (eg: change plans, limits, porting a number, etc), sometimes I go years before having to contact them."

I'm the opposite - I'd much rather speak to someone than use an app etc.

Might be an age thing!  😉

Smith7
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

From bespoke hardware, a UK 5G network backed by EE, Welsh language services and a comprehensive international roaming footprint RWG provides the full spectrum of services you would expect from a mobile network but with a friendly and personal approach. 

That's if you can speak to them 😒😒😒

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

GiffGaff: Similar to Smarty/Voxi, owned by O2. There's 5G, wifi calling, 5GB of EU roaming, active community. Not the best prices though.

I didn't think Giffgaff had wifi calling..?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

celsoazevedo
Grafter

@MisterW Hmm, maybe you're right. I was checking their forum and this message seems to indicate that they plan to introduce it in 2024... https://community.giffgaff.com/d/33706837-leaving-my-darling-giffgaff/16

I thought they had it because on their coverage page, they mention their (well, O2/Virgin Media's) WiFi hotspots to "stay connected". I guess it's only for internet, no calls/text. This makes O2 MVNOs worse than Three or Vodafone.

If you have the power to do so, please update my post (the edit link is gone for me).

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

If you have the power to do so, please update my post (the edit link is gone for me).

The edit link only works for around 10 minutes IIRC.i have no ability to edit posts, we need a moderator.

I'll see if I can attract their attention.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

/me waves

Post edited.

I'll be transferring all our sims to 1P mobile.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

You're much too fast @dvorak  , I've just used the report to moderator

Thanks