Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Mobile - total shutdown

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Plusnet Mobile - total shutdown

Someone has posted on MoneySaving Expert forums that they have received an email saying that PN Mobile services are being shut off in a few months time . Anyone else received such an email ?Huh

277 REPLIES 277
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Plusnet Mobile - total shutdown

I know nothing about future plans but suggest that the meaning of ‘total shutdown’ is subject to interpretation.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

orby
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Over on MSE forum, someone posted the email they apparently received from Plusnet, of course no idea if it's real, faked or accidentally sent out in error.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6444399/plusnet-closing-down#latest

catphone
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Just shows you what they think of customers. (Plusnet & their parent)

Glad I left recently, seeing there were NO 12mth contracts, explains a lot their not staying around for too long!!

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

The end of Plusnet Mobile seemed obvious to me when I renewed recently and was only offered a rolling 30 day contract.

It would be useful to know from Plusnet officially what their end date is.

I currently pay £6 per month for 5GB data. The EE web site had this for £18 per month. I called EE to ask what extras I could expect for tripling my payments. Other than access to all the radio bands rather than Plusnet's restricted version, and WiFi Calling - which never worked properly for me when I was previously with EE, (calls dropped out when moving between discs on my home WiFi mesh system) - there wasn't anything, though they did offer to bring the price down to about £14/month, which I declined.

The next day I got a call from EE asking why I hadn't taken up their "fantastic" offer. I explained my reasons, as above, and they offered a further reduction to about £12/month.

I pointed out that this was still double what I am currently paying, which he responded with "well, it is always going to be more expensive with EE"!!!

So, unless "we’ve joined forces with EE to create a range of SIM only deals available exclusively to Plusnet mobile customers." results in some significantly better offers, I will be off to another provider - probably Lebara.

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

I have just called Plusnet Mobile to enquire about these special offers for existing Plusnet customers.

The best they can offer to replace my current £6/month for 5GB data is to pay £8 for the same 5G, (so an increase of 33%), and I would also lose the extra 2GB of data I have for being a Plusnet broadband customer.

What a bargain!

fbowles
Dabbler

There were “exclusive” EE offers for BT customers on the BT website, I applied despite being a Plusnet customer and it went through fine, I got 100Gb for £12 (including student discount)

CHRIS234
Hooked

I received the mail a couple of weeks ago. Here's a summary of the text (without the jazzy graphics)

Hello ***
Since the 29th March 2023, we no longer offer mobile services to new customers.
As an existing customer, your Plusnet plan will continue for now, so don’t worry about loss of service.
We will be closing all our mobile services in the coming months. This means you’ll need to switch your service to another provider in the future.
Don’t worry, this doesn’t impact Plusnet Broadband, and we will continue to do what we do best, delivering great value broadband.

You are free to switch to EE or another service
provider today. Otherwise, we’ll be in touch again in
plenty of time before we close our services.
To find out more about EE and how to switch,
please give us a call.
Smith7
Seasoned Pro

How sad 😢😢😢

Mav
Fixes: 514

Are there any companies that do Text/Call allowances without data?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Mav

Just seen that ASDA do unlimited T/C for £4 pm.

Guess there may be many others.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Asda do https://mobile.asda.com/bundles/talk-and-text - but for an extra £1 you can get a 1GB data from 1p mobile.

(helps if I click post..)

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Mav

I have unlimited data with EE which I can share 100GB with SWMBO and only really need to give the SIM to the missus for her other phone for emergencies.

Smith7
Seasoned Pro

RWG who use EE you can get 1000mins 1000texts (which should be enough for most people )    for £3 per month and if you need data at any time you can get a 5GB Bungle for £5 extra for 30 days if/when needed 

RWG on not on comparison sites like USwitch I have just change my spare/back up phone to their PAYG tariff looks OK 

https://www.rwgmobile.wales/rates-plans-eng-per/

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Any word on tim8ngs for all this? I haven't had any communication on the matter from Plusnet yet. I know the sensible thing would be for us all to jump ship straightaway before there's any time pressure, but I wonder if it's worth waiting to see what special deals are going to be on offer.

By the way it looks like Plusnet aren't the only ones. In Virgin's site they have the message ..

Virgin Media and O2 have joined forces so, at some point soon, you'll be moving from a Virgin Mobile plan to an equivalent O2 plan.