cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Mobile on London Underground

zurcnosa

Plusnet Mobile on London Underground

Has anyone tried Plusnet mobile on the tube yet? As it's on EE's network are we able to use it there? 

17 REPLIES 17
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Re: Plusnet Mobile on London Underground

Hi zurcnosa,

We don't support the London Underground WiFi at the moment, however we do support other WiFi services such as the 'Cloud'. I'll be sure to feed this back as a suggestion and who knows, maybe this is something that will become available in the future.

Hope this helps!

- Rebeka Smiley

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RebekaPreston

Please can you clarify what you mean when you say Plusnet mobile supports The Cloud wifi service?

As I understand it, The Cloud wifi hotspots are open to anyone if they register the first time they use it. Is it any different for Plusnet mobile subscribers?

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Hi notinmyname,

When we say we 'support' The Cloud service, it is as you say, open to anyone if they register first time they use it. It is the London Underground WiFi that we don't support as it is a different service and can't guarantee will work. However I will feed this suggestion back and maybe it will become a service that we do support in the future.

- Rebeka  Smiley

PlsnetFan
Dabbler

That's a real pity that you provide usage of London Underground's Wifi which all the major mobile providers do.

Do you know when if or when you may provide usage?

If not, it'd be a pity as Plusnet's mobile network wouldn't be suitable for me.

Thanks a million. I'm grateful for your assistance.

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I don't think I got the LU service on EE until I converted to contract. I know I didn't have it when I was PAYG. It showed up as a contract add-on. Like a perk for converting to contract. So I guess it's one of the 'premium' services like Volte, 800Mhz and WiFi Calling.

Incidentally it only works in the stations and not in the tube tunnels.

caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

It would probably be a great relief to many people if no mobile phones worked on the LU.

jon
Grafter

To use your mobile phone on the sub-surface underground stations requires two things:

* Access to virgin's London underground wifi. You can pay for this directly, or if you have a contract with one of the premium mobile operators (O2, Vodafone, three and EE) plus virgin they'll provide you with log-ons to this as part of your contract. As plus net is a budget brand it's highly unlikely they will ever pay Virgin to give you access so you'll need to buy it yourself.

* Wifi calling, i.e. the ability to make a call over Wifi when you don't have a phone signal. EE does support this but I doubt this is enabled for plus net as a price differentiator.

Saying that plus net supports other free wifi hotspots such as 'the cloud' is highly misleading as your mobile provider has nothing to do with this, you don't even need a mobile device at all to connect to a wifi hotspot e.g. you can use a laptop.

Anonymous
Not applicable

jon wrote:

Saying that plus net supports other free wifi hotspots such as 'the cloud' is highly misleading as your mobile provider has nothing to do with this, you don't even need a mobile device at all to connect to a wifi hotspot e.g. you can use a laptop.

Yes, that was a stunnning bit of 'spin' by @RebekaPreston - she should be a politician.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Jon wrote:

To use your mobile phone on the sub-surface underground stations requires two things:

* Access to virgin's London underground wifi. You can pay for this directly, or if you have a contract with one of the premium mobile operators (O2, Vodafone, three and EE) plus virgin they'll provide you with log-ons to this as part of your contract.

With 3 you don't even need to be on a contract as the LU WiFi is available to all customers even those on a PAYG 321 (just register a password on your online account page). 

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
PlsnetFan
Dabbler

Thank you for the feedback folks.

In terms of access to LU data service (provided by Virgin mobile), I'm confused. Hearing different things from different people. For instance, when I rang Plusnet's customer service, the staff were not sure but thought it may be possible.

Can somebody give an idea of if LU's service works with Plusnet mobile or not please?

I'm aware that the LU wifi calling service is also available on EE and other networks, but don't imagine that would be available on Plusnet as it's a 'budget' service.

Thank you very much for the feedback.

jon
Grafter

There is no such thing as a "LU wifi calling service". Virgin Media provide  what they call "Virgin Media WiFi on the tube" which is wifi hotspots on LU stations and does not itself provide the ability to make phone call. You do not get access as part of your Plusnet contract but you can buy a pass https://my.virginmedia.com/wifi/index.html. You can then use the hotspots to to view web sites, check email, use Skype or anything else you can do over the internet.

WiFi calling is a service provided by your mobile phone network and is nothing to do with Virgin. See http://ee.co.uk/help/phones-and-device/wifi-calling. What this means is that when you have Wifi but no network access then the network will route calls over this wifi. This can happen with any wifi service you have access to whether it's your home, work or another wifi hotspot such as the cloud or virgin media WiFi on LU stations. EE and Vodafone support this. O2 and three have apps you can use instead for wifi calling.

I've now checked my phone and I can confirm that Plusnet mobile does indeed appear to support WiFi calling. I have an iPhone 6 and you can turn it on in settings, phone, WiFi callling. I've not actually tested it, though from other people using EE I hear it doesn't work very well so I'm going to leave it turned off. Note that you need a fairly modern and advanced phone to support WiFi calling.

So in summary making calls on the LU is supported on Plusnet but you have to pay Virgin Media for the privilege. It costs £15 a month. If you're going to be using this regularly then there's really no point paying that, you'd be better off switching a mobile provider who bundle it for free with your contract.

zurcnosa

@woodm wrote:

I don't think I got the LU service on EE until I converted to contract. I know I didn't have it when I was PAYG. It showed up as a contract add-on. Like a perk for converting to contract. So I guess it's one of the 'premium' services like Volte, 800Mhz and WiFi Calling.

Incidentally it only works in the stations and not in the tube tunnels.

EE does indeed work on the platforms using PAYG. I just switched from there and I had chosen EE because of the ability to use it on the tube.

Though I had to keep connecting at every stop, it doesn't just connect automatically which was pretty useless as the trains don't stop for long. 

Would be great to have this on Plusnet, though I may have to move to another network again as I thought it would be available as Plusnet uses EE's network.

folkdisco
Hooked

Just to add my "Yes, please do this!" Not sure I want to pay any extra though.

DafOwen
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Would be great to have it - super pretty please.

I often use it to decide on which route to take home since trains etc are often cancelled or delayed.