cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Mobile no longer a cost effective service?

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Plusnet Mobile no longer a cost effective service?

Hi,

I wonder whether Plusnet are deliberately trying to move away from being a low cost operator.  On their main website it seems they offer only one deal for new customers, the £10 a month for whatever data that is (can't remember).  And from my own account the only "upgrade" options are more expensive than I'm currently paying.  In fact I think one of them offers exactly the same benefits as I currently receive, but at a higher price.

Is it possible that Plusnet bought into the market at deliberately low prices and now need to push prices up to make money?  As well as the monthly plans there was also the change to punitive charges for out of plan data.

I'm happy to confirm that I joined Plusnet on price.  And found them a perfectly acceptable service as well.  However once they start to move away from this low price, they're functional limitations and their various oddities start to be unacceptable.

3 REPLIES 3
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Plusnet Mobile no longer a cost effective service?

3 existing SIMs moved last month to the 20GB for £10 a month.
Just need to jump on when the offers are on Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

That deal's not on offer to me, not that it would be particularly suitable as it happens otherwise I'd be on the phone to them.

What I'm looking for is something as low cost as possible.  Plusnet now openly state they make real price increases year on year, over and above any inflation figures. The result is that they're creeping up the price range, now can be directly compared with mainstream operators who won't have their functional limitations. Or well undercut by other MVNOs for people who want a stripped down service.

Regarding the web site it's a bit weird.  It shows only one deal, with no option of other menus or anything except a "Buy" button.  As if Plusnet only offers one tariff nowadays.  But refresh it and it changes to a different deal, again without any option other than to buy that one.  So maybe that's a website screw up rather than a change in the business.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

@aesmith Strange, If I go to https://www.plus.net/mobile/sim-only-30-day/existing-customer-offer and select 'All packages' I can see 8 different offers. The cheapest being the 6GB for £6/month.

Its typical for offers not to be shown on your account. Like most organisations, you have to call and haggle to get the offers

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.