cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel stuck on H+ and no network options due to Plusnet?

daniscross
Hooked

Pixel stuck on H+ and no network options due to Plusnet?

I've been going around in circles recently, trying to resolve my network issues on a Google Pixel 6a. I had no issues at all with my Pixel 3a, but with the 6a...

It first started last week, when I had no network. I seem to have fixed that by manually selecting Plusnet from the list of providers available. But, now I seem to regularly get stuck on H+ instead of 4G when I leave my house and disconnect from WiFi. Toggling flight mode on/off flicks it back to 4G.

I've tried all sorts. I've ensured I'm using the correct APN settings. I've reset the phone. I'm trying to set my preferred network type, but it seems that for some reason Plusnet doesn't allow this? I'm basing this on this thread and others I've seen online. 

If I use a Vodafone SIM, for example, then I can select 4G as preferred with no issues.

All signs point to Plusnet somehow making this unavailable? So before I request my PAC code, any suggestions? I don't really want to leave Plusnet, but this will make me go elsewhere.

18 REPLIES 18
Shep41
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Pixel stuck on H+ and no network options due to Plusnet?

Have you checked to see if there is an update for the phone.
daniscross
Hooked

Phone is up to date, both in terms of Android and Google Play service updates and also apps. I've reset my network configurations numerous times, reset my device etc. 

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hey @daniscross,

I'm really sorry to hear that this is the case. Is this issue occurring everywhere or only in a certain location? Or for example, indoors but not outdoors?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I don't know the specifics that cause the inability to 'force' the preferred network but suspect it's something to do with Plusnet's partial reliance on 3G (the 'big' operators will be well on their way to, or have already, done away with 3G).

The reason it's specific to the Pixel, I can't help but think is something to do with Google's choice to use Samsung's Exynos silicon for their Tensor chip. The 6/7 series have been plagued with complaints about modem 'iffyness' (and this is coming from a Pixel stalwart).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Alvie
Hooked

This same issue is happening on Pixel 6 Pro. I've upgraded to the 7 Pro so my mum has my old 6 Pro.

She's on Plusnet and when I inserted the SIM into the Pixel 6 Pro, it usually says No service or Emergency calls only but occasionally flips to EDGE or H+
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

6a, 6 pro and 7 are all using Exynos. The 7 series a slightly newer chip. I have a 7 Pro at the moment and I've tried to replicate this issue. Whilst something does feel a little 'off' when using the Plusnet SIM, it's not been black and white enough for me to initiate a full investigation, i.e. the mobile connection does eventually switch to 4G without me having to do anything.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Alvie
Hooked

I just found this, and I wonder if it will help:

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices/Pixel-6-getting-stuck-on-H/m-p/1134784#M79560

I'll try it tomorrow and report back
daniscross
Hooked

@bobpullen there's definitely some weird Pixel + Plusnet thing going on. I don't doubt the well-documented modem in the Pixel 6/7 isn't at fault, but I don't get any issues at all when I've experimented with someone else's SIM on a different network.

daniscross
Hooked

@Alvie I've tried altering the network preferences, but for some reason, they never seem to save. I choose LTE/TDSCDMA/GSM but it always seems to go back to NR/LTE etc. Maybe you'll have more luck?

Alvie
Hooked

No luck unfortunately. The only other thing is that the SIM in question is very old now, so maybe it requires replacing. I've requested a replacement so we'll see how it goes
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hey @Alvie,

Please let us know once the SIM's arrived and if it's performing any better. If there are still issues we'll be happy to review the case further Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Alvie
Hooked

Thanks, will do
daniscross
Hooked

Still early days, but since I installed the beta version of the Carrier Services app my issues have almost completely vanished. Install it, then go Settings > Apps > Carrier Services. Then click 'Force stop' and then 'Storage & Cache' and  'Clear Storage'. Restart your phone. Seems to have worked for me.

Alvie
Hooked

Unfortunately this hasn't worked for me, and we still haven't received the SIM.

@TheMightyAJ it's been a while now, I hope it hasn't been lost in the post 😕