Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phoreign phones

FIXED
slims

Phoreign phones

Hi,

does anyone use HOMTOM, Ulefone Gemini, Leagoo, or CUBOT phones with a PlusNet SIM/contract? If so, which model do you recommend. Looking to by a non-big brand phone.

thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Phoreign phones

I have a Homtom HT17 Pro which works well with O2 PAYG and my better half has a Homtom HT7 Pro but with that I could never get data to work with Plusnet at least partly because Plusnet doesn't support 4G 800MHz but not wholly as it worked with Virgin PAYG which only used 3G

Not really answering the question

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I have a Cubit Manito. It has both a Plusnet SIM and a giffgaff one installed and works fine. I did have to setup the APN for plusnet manually but that's a common issue with many phones.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

slims

Thanks for replying. So you can get 4G ok? 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yes, but it will depend on coverage in your area. Also dont forget that Plusnet don't have access to the EE 800mhz band.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

slims

going to show my ignorance - what does that mean / why would that matter?

thanks again

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Fix

As I'm sure you're aware Plusnet use the EE network.

EE uses the 800MHz band, 1800MHz band and 2600MHz band for 4G. The 800MHz band is long range, making it good for rural locations, but it can also penetrate walls, for strong indoor coverage. The 2600MHz band meanwhile is shorter range but deals well with congested areas like inner cities, and the 1800MHz band is a middle ground.

EE have been introducing the 800Mhz band over the last year or so to improve 4g coverage. However access to this band is restricted to their own VoLTE capable handsets only! 

So if you look at the 4g coverage map for your area this will include any 800Mhz band and so may give incorrect information.

slims

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond and explain, appreciated.