cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone not connecting to mobile network

asnuggets
Dabbler

Phone not connecting to mobile network

Hey just got a new SIM from Plusnet, got my phone unlocked, switched the SIM to my old phone number and all is good. Retained my number, says I'm with plusnet on the home screen, can recieve/send texts/calls. However it won't connect to the Internet? It's just stuck on connecting to mobile network. I used the APN settings from the help page. Am I missing something?

27 REPLIES 27
JrScott
Hooked

Re: Phone not connecting to mobile network

No, I'm in exactly the same position with two numbers I ported across at the beginning of the week. Call / SMS fine, data no show. Spent hours on the phone to support but still not resolved. Getting a bit annoying now....

HangTen
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

What worked for me: switching OFF wifi on my phone ... with wifi on, I get no network data ... switch off wifi and I get a solid 4G data connection Smiley
Worth a try?

Metalhead
Hooked

When i joined Life (now Plusnet) i could not get data using any of the pre-installed APN's on my phone and again could not connect if i amended a current APN. As soon as i created a completely new APN with the correct details the data flowed. Hope this helps.

JrScott
Hooked

Thanks for the ideas, but nothings worked. Day 4 of no data....

Alimach

Hey I have had the same issue and have had to switch on data roaming on my phone and it works perfectly now. This was a known issue when EE was created as it was created from 2 networks. I have been assured this incurs no further charges which it hasn't to date. Must be the way certain phones work mine is a moto e3. Hope this helps you.

Alimach

Forgot to add, if you travel abroad don't forget to turn off the data roaming or you will get a nasty surprise leaving your bank account.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Or if you live on the Kent coast as French signals carry across the channel very easily Wink

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
asnuggets
Dabbler

Hmm obviously have tried turning off WiFi... I did enter the APN details from scratch too. The APN is even ticked and green lit which only seems to happen when I enter the APN details exactly as they are (meaning correctly), but still no data. Have tried turning on all roaming data as well. Pretty stumped. Must be the phone. It's a HTC Wildfire S (really old). I read up that some settings might be fixed into the phone and need to be deleted manually by rooting the phone. Unlocking it with the code I got aparantly sometimes isn't enough on some handsets. Will have to go without data until Christmas day I suppose when I get a new phone.

JrScott
Hooked

Yep, I've done all that as well, but still no data. I wouldn't assume that the APN is correct just because you can activate it, I created a dummy, empty, APN record and the phone allowed me to select that with no issue. I hope a new handset does resolve this for you, but my handsets only a year old and worked fine with my EE SIM so I'm sure it's not that either. Guess I'll have to spend another 30 minutes on hold to the helpdesk again....

caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I had the same problem when I joined Life Mobile & the APN settings text message didn't work so I had to set it up manually using the EE APN settings.

My phone at that time was a Samsung Fame S6810 Android phone.

When I signed up for the Plusnet 4G Unlimited calls & texts I bought a Microsoft Lumia 550 running Windows 10 & the mobile data connection worked from the moment I inserted the sim card without me having to do anything.

My phone has roaming turned off so I will lose my data connection if I'm in a roaming area.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @JrScott

If you're having issues with your data connection, and have tried the APN settings and the other suggestion made by fellow plusnet mobile users, feel free to drop me a Private Message and I can look into this for you. Smiley 

JS1
Dabbler

Alimach, had the same problem with Moto E3. Worked with EE SIM but plusnet SIM showed "T Mobile" network name on the side and would not connect to data but I could call and text. Didn't try switching on roaming! Gave the phone back as just couldn't get it to work.

britishguy4

I'm having the same issue. Was on EE network. PAC code went through fine, took 4 days. Been able to text and call but no mobile Internet data.

Called help desk and they told me to add new APN settings available from help page. Done that exactly but still no connection! Tried turning on data roaming too but nothing. Samsung Galaxy S5.

Any more ideas?
HangTen
Rising Star

Have you tried with wifi & bluetooth turned OFF?