cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overcharge on changing network.

appman999
Dabbler

Overcharge on changing network.

My wife joined Plusnet in Dec 2017 on a 30 day 'flexible' contract.

As appears usual she was charged the monthly cost immediately.(so in advance)

On 25/11/18 she got a PAC code (expiry 24/12/18) and used it to change network provider on 18/12/18.

She paid the monthly cost on 30/11/18 which presumably covered December, but she was then charged another monthly cost on 31/12/18 (after the PAC had been used. I can understand this bill for any charges incurred during December but not for another monthly cost which presumably would be for Jan 2019. 

On 17/01/19 she received an email from Plusnet saying her account was in credit (by just under the value of the monthly charge) and we assumed this was a refund of the overcharge for Jan 2019.

I rang customer services to see how this would be refunded as I didn't want this just sitting in a defunct account but they insisted that no credit was due and this would be removed in due course?

They agreed to escalate this (somewhere?) but while I await their response I would appreciate any comment on what they or I might be missing?

As a side issue I haven't found a way to see the final bill since as soon as you use the PAC code you seem to lose access to My Account to check the billing. Very convenient.

21 REPLIES 21
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Re: Overcharge on changing network.

Hello @appman999

I am sorry to hear about these issues your wife had experienced when leaving our services and I apologise for the frustration caused.

After reading over your post, it seems your wife left our service before the 30 days leaving notice completed, thereby, the account balance would not be refundable as she ported out before this.

If you could provide the following details via PM we can check the account:

- The account holders name

- Your full name

- The mobile number

- The full address with postcode

Thank you.

appman999
Dabbler

Despite sending a PM with details requested, I have heard no more.

I think from reading elsewhere that when we requested the PAC code the fact that we wished to leave Plusnet was not properly recorded and so unlike other mobile networks Plusnet did not consider we had properly given the 30 day notice.

As such not only were we charged the 30 days of the PAC code (which I accept) but in addition a 30 day notice period after the PAC code was used (which I do not accept)

As I have had no response here I have claimed back the payment for the charge after the service was terminated under the Direct Debit guarantee and closed the Direct Debit. However I have now received and email saying the Plusnet are going to take the money again and refer me to my account, which I have been unable to access since the service was terminated.

I'd appreciate any help to resolve this.

RobC
Pro
Fixes: 3

Formal complaint

It is my understanding that getting the pac is your 30 day notice, and using that PAC within the 30 days is not grounds for ANY penalty charges.

If your leaving period ran into another charge period, that could warrant another charge

Any charges incurred through use outside your allowance would of course be chargeable.

Show us ONE just ONE real, defined benefit for the British public from Brexit

Brexit Promised cake .... But just delivers a stream of Cack
... and expects us all to just swallow it
Brexit - Built from Bovine Manure by Bots
appman999
Dabbler

I'm afraid that unlike other providers it doesn't appear to be the case with Plusnet. When you get your PAC code the confirmatory email says

"If you haven't requested that we put 30 days' notice on your account and you don't use your PAC code don't worry your Plusnet Mobile services will continue as normal." 

At this point you don't know if they accept you gave notice or not, I believe I did. If you haven't it appears your 30 days notice starts from the day you use the PAC code.

They phrase it as a favour but I'm guessing they are using this to charge for an extra month without providing any service.

Unfortunately as soon as your service ends (when you use your PAC code) you cannot access your bills so you can't check what you are billed for except I'm sure there were no out of allowance charges.

We were billed for a month in advance on 30/11 and left on 18/12 but received another invoice for full month in advance on 31/12 which I dispute.

As far as I can see our monthly contract started on 16/12/17 which means we left 2 days after the end of the monthly payment on 30/11 but would then expect to pay for 2 days pro rata not a full month!

Maybe I'll get a better explanation from a Plusnet rep here this time (and access to my invoices)

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @appman999, thanks for your post.

I'm sincerely sorry to hear that you've had this issue with your billing.

Can you please PM me:

- The account holders name

- Your full name

- The mobile number

- The full address with postcode

I'm working all weekend (13:30 - 22:00) and so if I'm unable to get to your response today, it will be at 13:30 tomorrow afternoon.

appman999
Dabbler

You have PM

RobC
Pro
Fixes: 3

@appman999

So you heard nothing from @Mads despite PM'ing back in Jan?

Show us ONE just ONE real, defined benefit for the British public from Brexit

Brexit Promised cake .... But just delivers a stream of Cack
... and expects us all to just swallow it
Brexit - Built from Bovine Manure by Bots
OllieC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi appman999@

I'm really sorry that you have had a delayed response via our forum.

Can you please confirm if you called as an alternative to pass security and have a discussion directly with our dedicated Mobile team around this issue?

Please PM the 3rd and 6th characters of your security answer.

Kind Regards

appman999
Dabbler

Your colleague OskarPapa appears to have resolved this now although I'm still not clear why it arose.

I would recommend anyone asking for a PAC code from you to confirm they are giving 30 days notice at the same time if they don't want the possibility of another months rental after they leave.

appman999
Dabbler

I thought this had been solved and the £7.00 charge waived. However today my wife got a text message saying her account had been suspended because the direct debit had been cancelled.

It is correct that the direct debit has been cancelled as the account was closed in Dec last year so how are you suspending it now. Anyone there can help please?

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @appman999,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

Could you confirm characters 1 & 6 from the security question via PM, give us a nudge here once done and we'll pick it up from there.

Thank you.

appman999
Dabbler

Mads you have pm

appman999
Dabbler

Another pm.

appman999
Dabbler

I've corrected it again, hopefully this work.