Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old SIM still receiving some texts

FIXED
fearless

Old SIM still receiving some texts

Hello,

I'm trying to sort my brother's phone.

He recently got a new phone and changed to a Plusnet SIM at the same time. So he's got an old phone (Samsung J5) with his old Vodaphone SIM in it and his new phone (Samsung S9) with the new Plusnet SIM in it.

His original number has been ported to the new SIM, but he has an issue where some texts still go to the old Vodaphone SIM. No issue with phonecalls and if you ring his number it comes through to the new phone. Some texts also come through to the new SIM fine.

We've contacted Plusnet who were a bit puzzled but basically said that it appeared to have ported fine their end.

So he contacted Vodaphone but they couldn't find the number or postcode on their system, which might be because the Vodaphone contract was through a third party.

Then he contacted the third party provider and they checked with Vodaphone while he was on and confirmed that his number has been ported and that that number was no longer linked to Vodaphone.

Please can someone advise how to stop texts going to his old SIM?

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: Old SIM still receiving some texts

Fix
Hi fearless,
This will be due to google RCS, where android to android texts can be routed over the internet & WiFi and not the mobile networks.
It should eventually pickup the phone & SIM change.
It can be kicked into action by removing the old phone from his google account or resetting the old phone to factory defaults etc.
Another option is to turn RCS off.
https://www.maketecheasier.com/rcs-messaging-android-complete-guide/
Regards
Richard
fearless

Thanks Richard,

I've tried turning 'RCS' off although it appears to be called something different on his old phone (see attached print screen) - I think this is the same thing.

On the link you mentioned it tells you how how can disable the RCS without the old phone which I also did. (This takes you to Google and you confirm your number then use the verification code).

It has worked to an extent, but the new phone only seems to send and receive SMS and not 'chat' messages. So when I send him a text it says it can't send until I change it to an SMS message.

RCS is turned on on his new phone and the equivalent is on mine too.

If I turn the setting back on on his old phone it will then receive the 'chat' message that failed to send from my phone for example.

I haven't yet tried removing the Google account from his old phone or a factory reset because they will require me to get everything off his old phone which is a bit more involved.

Please can you advise?

Thanks
fearless

Sorry forgot to attach the print screen but can't seem to find how on my phone.

On the old phone it's called 'Advanced Calling & Messaging'.
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi
It will depend on what samsung have call RCS in their android customisations.
Does this help?
https://www.androidcentral.com/how-set-rcs-chat-samsung-phones

https://piunikaweb.com/2019/12/20/turn-off-rcs-messaging-before-switching-phones/
It looks like Goolge RCS can take 8 days to sort itself out.

Richard