Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number porting - complete farce

FIXED
dg59
Hooked

Number porting - complete farce

Ported my number to Plusnet and now cannot receive calls or texts (with the exception of 2 contacts who are with EE).
This has been ongoing for almost FOUR WEEKS now!
Keep going through the routine of providing samples and then waiting 5 days only to have to repeat the procedure when I call again.
It's particularly infuriating that nobody at Plusnet wants to take ownership of this and treat it with any urgency.
I just cannot believe that any company thinks that having this problem for almost FOUR WEEKS is is any way acceptable!
25 REPLIES 25
Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Re: Number porting - complete farce

Hello @dg59

I am deeply sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue with your mobile for over 4 weeks. Please, could you try the following to see if it helps resolve the issue?

Turn the handset off

Take the SIM card out

Leave it for a couple of minutes

Replace the SIM card

Turn the handset back on again

It's important to remove the SIM from the handset entirely, to allow it to disconnect and establish a new connection to the network upon re-boot.

Reset network settings:

Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

Delete old network profiles:

Settings > General > Profiles > Select the profile you wish to remove and tap Delete Profile.

Check for any issues by popping over to the following link and inputting your postcode:

https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/networkchecker/checkservice

Manually disconnecting from the network:

Can you please try manually searching for a network and if given an option, attempt to connect to any other network that differs from EE/Plusnet. Once you've done this, leave it for a couple of minutes and then go back and select EE/Plusnet.

Ensure handset isn't set to allow for 3G only.

Try the SIM in another handset that is unlocked to all networks.

Delete any old APN settings and insert the following:

Android

Go to Menu > Settings > Wireless & Networks (or More) > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > Menu > New APN

Without changing any other settings, type in the following info:

Name: EE Internet

APN: everywhere

Username: eesecure

Password: secure

MMSC: http://mms/

MMS Proxy: 149.254.201.135

MMS Port: 8080

Authentication type: PAP

APN type: If there's a choice, choose internet+mms. If the keyboard appears, type *

Tap Menu, then Save

To start your new APN, make sure the line is ticked or the radio button is lit by tapping on it.

Check the notification bar for 4G, H, 3G, E or G with up and down arrows beside it. That'll show your connection is working.

iPhone

Go to Settings > Mobile or Cellular > Mobile Data Network or Cellular Data Network > Access Point Names > Menu > New APN.

Without changing any other settings, type in the following info:

For Mobile data:

APN: everywhere

For MMS:

APN: eezone

MMSC: http://mms/

MMS Proxy: 149.254.201.135:8080

MMS Max Message Size: 1048576

Tap the left arrow at the top three times, then press the home button.

Check the notification bar for 4G, 3G, E or GPRS. That'll show your connection is working.

Check for any updates and ensure the handset has been updated to the latest software.

If the issue persists following this, please send me a Private Message with the following information and we can look into this further.

- Your full name

- Your full home address, including your postcode

- Your mobile number

Best wishes.

dg59
Hooked

Thanks for the suggestions Dumbledore but trust me, I have been through these so many times in the last 4 weeks that I can now do them with my eyes closed.

2 weeks ago when I called customer services the agent tried to call me while I was on the line and went straight through to O2 voicemail so he diagnosed the problem as a split port and I had to go through the 3 examples and wait 5 days procedure again. Last week when I called I was told that ops had reported the issue fixed but again there was a problem when the agent tried to call my number. She Then asked me to hang up and she would call me straight back to test which I presume was unsuccessful as I didn't get a call. I then went on to web chat and was asked by Emily to supply 3 failed call and 3 failed text examples and wait the usual 5 days but since then there has been no improvement.

Just for clarity I can call out, I can text out and I can use data. The problem is when people try to call me they get the message "the number you have dialed has not been recognised" and texts don't get through at all with the exception of the 2 contacts on EE as I mentioned.

I will DM you my details, thanks.

Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Hello @dg59

I have responded to your Private Message.

Many thanks.

dg59
Hooked

Thank you for your DM and I know that a Webform has been raised. However this is not the first time a webform has been raised and each time when I follow it up 5 days later the reply is always that no issues can be identified and each time the customer service agents try test calls and experience problems. It begs the question as to what exactly the Mobile Operations team are doing with the example calls and texts which are sent to them (3 weeks worht now) as these are all examples of calls texts that did not come through.

As regards my 'continued patience', if it wasn't for the risk of completely losing my number which I have had for over 15 years now I would have jumped ship long ago.

RobC
Pro
Fixes: 3

I have never seen any of the split port issues resolved here (or any even moderately technical issue really).

From the ones I've seen I can only assume the customers just leave. Whether their number remains screwed after they leave, or porting again gets it resolved by a supplier with a technical team that actually works - I dont know.

Neither have I seen any evidence whatsoever that sending the requested examples EVER resolves anything

or even that a customer is EVER called back after submitting the examples.

You just call again when you hear nothing, you go through the same hoops again, they ask for fresh examples again.

Please Plusnet - show me I'm mistaken ....

Show us ONE just ONE real, defined benefit for the British public from Brexit

Brexit Promised cake .... But just delivers a stream of Cack
... and expects us all to just swallow it
Brexit - Built from Bovine Manure by Bots
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @dg59,

I hate to tell you this but we need to send yet more examples to MVNO, we don't need to get them off you though as the Social Staff have dialed your number from our personal mobile and are using them as examples. Neither O2, Three or Vodafone connected but a test call from a staff member on PN mobile did go through fine. 

I'm been speaking to one of our mobile administrators that speak directly to MVNO to try and finally get this resolved for you (because it's becoming a bit of a farce now). Originally MVNO came back and said that two calls were able to successfully be made so as far as they're concerned there isn't a problem so hopefully using staff lines as proof will kind of make them realise that their investigations are completely wrong. 

The outcome is it's a Friday evening, so we're not going to get anything until at least Monday I'm afraid. 

P.S sorry if you received a missed unknown number call about 6pm, that was us.

dg59
Hooked

Thanks for the info. I guessed the 2 four second calls were test calls. The same happened a couple of weeks ago when I called customer services they had been told that 2 test calls had been made and everything was hunky dory, then the customer service agent attempted a call and went straight through to O2 voicemail!
Hopefully you will be able to push this along now.
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

No worries @dg59,

We'll keep an eye on it from here for you. 

RobC
Pro

@JOLO wrote:

Hi @dg59,

I hate to tell you this but we need to send yet more examples to MVNO, we don't need to get them off you though as the Social Staff have dialed your number from our personal mobile and are using them as examples. Neither O2, Three or Vodafone connected but a test call from a staff member on PN mobile did go through fine. 

Originally MVNO came back and said that two calls were able to successfully be made so as far as they're concerned there isn't a problem so hopefully using staff lines as proof will kind of make them realise that their investigations are completely wrong. 

I'm (NOT) astonished that your 'MVNO' is not aware that 'on net' calls to a customer wont identify issues with a split port , and is absolutely NO excuse to claim - all is good No issues found

- whether or not the customer is actually informed of this.

jgfrancis
Grafter

As the MVNO is a French company, i'm just wondering what gets lost in translation.

RobC
Pro

@jgfrancis wrote:

As the MVNO is a French company,

Please clarify

Must admit to not knowing the details of plusnets org

But isnt plusnet: Owned by BT

Resells (mvno) a subset of EE mobile services

Now it does seem the call center is effectively only very loosely linked to the actual technical delivery side (if any) of the Plusnet service, so appears in practicality little better than an entirely outsourced call center

I was assuming perhaps incorrectly that when the CS staff here said 'refer to mvno' they actually meant either referring to BT or EE unless they are entirely separate from 'their own' technical services

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

PlusNet took over Life Mobile, which was then an EE MVNO in late 2016. The mobile CS support has been merged with the normal PN support over the period since then. I suspect the Engineering/OPS is still what was the Life mobile team and this is what is being referred to as 'MVNO'

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gregg
Grafter

I ported my number at Christmas it took over 3 weeks. I had to go in to airport mode on and off again to activate the number on the new sim. 

jgfrancis
Grafter

Although Plusnet is owned by BT, its services are provided by a French company which provides MVNO facilities to many companies worldwide.

This company buys airtime from EE which is then sold on to the likes of Plusnet and other mvno providers.

I would imagine that when Plusnet refer to their operations team, this means the French company in France.