cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving sms from some contacts since switching to plusnet

ggoldthorpe

Not receiving sms from some contacts since switching to plusnet

Hi

I switched over to plusnet sim on friday from EE. Everything was quick and easy and my number was transferred over from my old sim. I am able to send texts and make phone calls with no issues but unfortunately one of my contacts has been in touch and informed me that they are unable to send sms messages to transferred number. They keep getting 'not delivered' error message. 

They were able to send an sms to the new sim number before it switched and have since sent a text to that number and its sending even though that number is no longer in use.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thank you

5 REPLIES 5
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: Not receiving sms from some contacts since switching to plusnet

Hi @ggoldthorpe,
What make and model of mobile phone are you and your contact using?
Both IOS and Android are capable of sending messages via data rather than using basic SMS.
The new methods support more features but can bring their own issues when changing networks.
Regards
Richard
ggoldthorpe

My phone is a samsung s9 and my contacts is also a samsung but unsure of model.

Just find it strange that they are able to 'send' to the new sims number that isnt in use but comes up as none deliverable to the actual number in use

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi
Google Android inc Samsung have rolled out an improved Mesaging protocol called RCS.
It only works between android phones, in a simillar way the Apples improved messaging only works between apple devices. So apple to android and vice versa defaults back to SMS.
RCS is typically referred to as "Chat Features" in the messaging app.
Initially try disabling Chat Features.
If your Samsung works like my Samsung:
Open messages.
Press on the 3 vertical dots,
Selecct settings
Select general
Select chat features,
Select the option to turn off chat features.

If that fixes it and you want to use the enhanced chat try resetting RCS as per
https://mobileinternist.com/rcs-not-working-samsung-messages

Regards
Richard
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

They were able to send an sms to the new sim number before it switched and have since sent a text to that number and its sending even though that number is no longer in use.

That sounds very much like a 'split port' , where the number porting hasnt completed properly. This leaves the routing wrong for some functions from some networks. You need to contact Customer services and tell them of the problems.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @ggoldthorpe 

Really sorry for the long delay of a staff response here and to see you can't receive texts after moving to us.

If you haven't got this sorted yet, drop me a private message with the following details and we’ll be happy to take a look. This information will pass our data protection checks.

+Your mobile number

+Your full name

+Your full address

+Are you the account holder?

+Your date of birth

+Last 2 digits of your bank account number

+Last 2 digits of your bank sort code

When private messaging me, please include a link to this thread as our staff private messages go through a centralised system internally so I might not actually personally message you back. Although just a few of us monitor our Community Forums so there’s a good chance I’ll pick it up.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet