cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving service texts

Metaltype

Not receiving service texts

I was carrying out an online banking transaction and needed to receive one of those automated texts to verify my identity.

After two requests to send nothing received and the whole thing timed out.

On calling the Halifax they said that certain mobile operators treat such calls as spam and do not put them through.

My plusnet landline was also unable to cope with the verification call, although it did receive it, but with a half-hearted sort of ring. I guess this is the wrong place for that problem though!

I later tried to verify be WhatsApp on my phone but those texts were also not received.

I have rebooted my phone twice, still no texts.

Can anything be done?

8 REPLIES 8
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Re: Not receiving service texts

Hi Metaltype,

Thanks for getting in touch with us!

At present, we don't support the feature to send or receive short code text messages; as we're a value brand, we simply don't have the functionality available to provide this service.

We welcome all feedback and I'll certainly pass this along to the relevant department!

If there is anything else that I can help you with, feel free to drop me a message and I'll do my best!

- Rebeka Smiley

mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

I think that this has cropped up before on here and the answer was that Plusnet don't support receiving texts from short code numbers (used by banks and premium rates services etc...) only full mobile numbers.

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

How would prospective customers find out that short code sms numbers are not supported? I don't suppose it is mentioned prominently during sign-up (probably buried in the T&Cs but as I have no interest in Plusnet mobile I can't really be bothered to look).

Most operators include the facility even in their entry level contracts or PAYG. Plusnet are saying publicly on this forum that they don't include it as they are a 'value' provider, but value is about more than price, it should be about what you get for what you pay. At best I would describe Plusnet's mobile service as 'budget'. 

My other car isn't a Ferrari
Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

You get an awful lot for your money with PN, some people however want it all for the same price. If you fall into that category then you need to pay more for a more complete service.

pkw
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I've never had any issues receiving verification texts from WhatsApp, HMRC or automated calls from my bank.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 383

Yes, I can understand why it may not be possible to send Short code SMS but I can't see why it wouldn't be possible to receive them!

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ChrisAtBristol
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I get several text alerts from Santander and Tesco bank a week but this is a one way communiqué system and does not require sending anything back to the bank.

Metaltype

Thanks for the replies so far.

I agree with the poster who said that if the network has certain restrictions because it is a "value" service, those should be made clear before signing up. I would imagine that the average layman would expect all mobile phone operators to offer the same services, or maybe I'm being a little naive.

Anyway, here's an update. The verification text from Whatsapp arrived some 12 hours after they sent it, so good and bad news really.

I said I was expecting a text from the Halifax, in fact it was an automated call. The one where you get a pin number on the web site, then request an automated call, where you speak or key the number in, then you're verified.

The halifax said they tried to make the call twice, but it was, in their words, "not accepted by the network" and thought it may have been caught by some kind of spam call filter. The number they called from is 0345 6015450.

The same number managed to get through to my Plusnet landline, with a very weak ring, but didn't send back a response after I keyed in the number and hung up, as instructed.