Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving Incoming Calls - Fresh Sim

Ianro
Dabbler

Re: Not receiving Incoming Calls - Fresh Sim

Michael,
Thank you. Are you implying that EE will accept a direct request from a PN customer directly? Ok if they do, but surprised that they wouldn’t need validation (or pre-filter) by PN first. Anyway, it’s working now, but I’ll remember for next time 😉
Regards,
Ian
LivRobinson
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi Ianro

Mike is away from the office at the moment, so I will be able to help with this Smiley

The link that was provided previously by Mike will take you to the EE Network Status checker. Here you can type in your postcode and see if there are any network issues or maintenance in the area. However, if you want to report a possible issue in the area, you can do so via the same link, and can also get email updates if there is an issue they are working on currently. Even though you are not a direct EE customer, they will still appreciate any and all information our customers can provide about the network status in each location:) 

I hope this helps!

-Liv

Liv Robinson
 Plusnet Help Team
Anne_york
Hooked

Hello, new to the forum and to Plusnet and wanted to add my comments regarding 4G and incoming calls. I've had my Plusnet SIM for about 3 weeks now and have the same problem as others on this thread in that I can't receive calls while on 4G, they go straight to voicemail. Texts are fine. Having read all the posts on this thread, and there are other threads on the same topic, some from more than a year ago, I was very surprised to be told by several customer service assistants that they had never come across this problem before! The first person I spoke to acknowledged that I had a problem, as he tried calling my phone with no success, so he sent me a replacement SIM, which made no difference. Also I tried my SIM into my husband's phone. He has a different phone to mine and is on a different network, and has no problem receiving calls, but when my SIM was in his phone on 4G the calls went straight to voicemail. So definitely a SIM rather than a phone problem. Have had to switch back to 3G as it's just too much of a pain to keep switching between 3G and 4G.

I dutifully provided a log of 3 failed calls to PN and they phoned me back a couple of days later to say that their technical department had confirmed that 'voice over LTE is not supported by Plusnet'. This is a red herring, as it is rarely supported but the phone should automatically switch back to 3G when a call comes in. We conducted another test today, my husband called my phone and I watched it switch to 3G at the top but the call still went to voicemail without the phone ringing, and then went back to 4G when the call was dropped.

I have followed a link to report this to EE, who said the problem had been fixed, which it clearly hasn't. It is obviously affecting a lot of people and has been going on for a long time. Why is nothing being done about it?
Ianro
Dabbler

Hi Anne,

I hope you get this sorted quickly.  It does seem to be something that they won't admit to being wrong, but it does still seem to get fixed in 'due course' as if by magic.  Have you noticed if the problem goes away when you're in a different part of the country?

Regards,

Ian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Have you noticed if the problem goes away when you're in a different part of the country?

I suspect it depends to some extent on how good the 3g signal is. My PN sim is not used much for incoming calls so I've never really seen the problem.

If it helps however I've just tried a test. The phone had a pretty good 4g signal, and, when called, it switches to 3g and starts to ring almost instantly.

For info, I'm in Hyde,Cheshire

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

OliGaffney
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 7

Hi @Anne_york!

This does seem to be something which is not unique to Plusnet customers and has been passed on to the Operations Team for investigation.

This investigation will therefore involve liaising with other mobile networks and providers.

As of yet, we do not know what causes this as it only seems to affect a very small amount of customers.

Thank you for your patience while we look into this matter!

-Oli

Ianro
Dabbler

I don't think it is to do with 3G strength - if the phone 4G is turned off and becomes 3G only then it would receive every incoming call.  Seems to be more about timings, like the local transceiver isn't waiting long enough for the change over, while other transceivers in different localities have different timings.  Maybe.

Regards,

Ian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

@Ianro That sounds a plausible theorySmiley.

I was considering that 3g signal strength might affect the time taken to lock back on to 3g.

Given that it's a not uncommon problem and and least PN are now admitting it, maybe we'll get a solution.Roll_eyes

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anne_york
Hooked

Yes PN have admitted there's a problem, but say that it only affects 'a very small amount of customers'. Don't know how much priority will be given to sorting it. Looking at the forum - and there are several threads on this topic - this has been going on for nearly 2 years. I actually managed to get a call on 4G while out and about today, in a different mast area, so that suggests a mast problem.

OliGaffney
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 7

Hi everyone!

We have had a response from our Operations Team this morning. They need a little more specific information that I have been able to provide them with.

If anyone affected could contact us either by private message on here, or on our other social media platforms (Facebook and Twitter) we can take some more information from you and get an in depth investigation started!

I look forward to hearing from you Smiley

Thanks 

-Oli

supernoodles
Grafter

will send you a private message now having the issue at my house but seems fine at the local shopping area 10/15 mins away

MichaelWilliams
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 15

Have you had a look at the EE Network Status Checker on the first page of this thread, supernoodles? Smiley

Anne_york
Hooked

Yes, I reported this twice via that link and each time got a reply saying there had been a problem in my area but it is now foxed, which it isn't. I have already had this discussion with the Help team.
Anne_york
Hooked

Starting this thread off again as this is still an issue. I was told 6 weeks ago that the Ops team are looking into it but obviously not with any degree of enthusiasm! I am still unable to receive calls on 4G when in my local area, but when out and about I don't have a problem. So it is quite obviously a problem with the local mast set up, but it appears no-one is doing anything about it. Extremely disappointed with Plusnet customer service, or lack of it. I have reported the issue direct to EE 3 times via the link earlier in this thread but after saying they will look into it they then getemail to say it's been fixed!As I'm not an EE customer I can't contact them direct. I would like to ditch Plusnet but am worried that I might have this problem with a new provider as well. Does anyone know if going direct to EE will get a better service? 

funroll

I think I can provide some more diagnostic information re this issue.

I've just moved my partner's mobile to plusnet from EE with the intention of moving my own over in a month or two when my existing EE contract expires.  Therefore, we have both an EE sim from my phone and her new plusnet sim.

Her SIM exhibits the problem - calls straight through to answerphone, but only when 4G/LTE is enabled on the phone.  My SIM has no such problem on EE.

When I take her SIM and put it in my phone, the problem occurs immediately - no calls.  When I swap out her sim for my EE sim, the problem goes away, calls come straight through.  When I put my SIM in her phone, no problem, when her SIM is in her phone, the problem is there.  The problem absolutely follows the SIM, regardless of phone.

The moment we turn off 4G/LTE, the problem goes away and calls come straight through.

Now whilst this may have something to do with timings and masts, it seems plain that it is definitely something to do with the plusnet SIM.  I'd be interested to know what happens with an out of the box SIM compared to a SIM that has had a number ported to it, unfortunately I wasn't aware of the issue before we started the port otherwise I'd have checked that out as well.

I'm really hoping to be able to port my own number over to a plusnet plan in the next month or two but lack of 4G is kind of a deal-breaker I'm afraid.