cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Receiving SMS

martin11

Not Receiving SMS

Been a mobile plusnet customer for a while now and have been happy with the service so far. However, I am not receiving some sms messages. To explain further I live in a location which doesn't have great mobile signal but the EE network that plusnet uses is the best for signal strength out of all the other available networks.

I generally get 1 bar of service in the house, sometimes if the phone is in my back pocket the service disappears completely. Right now the signal strength is -101dB to -107dBm.

I have been missing quite a few SMS's sent by friends and colleagues which is not acceptable. My understanding of how the system works is that if my phone is not in range and someone sends an SMS, the SMS will be held until the phone reconnects to the network and then message will be forwarded on to the phone. Is this correct or am I over simplifying things?

If this is how things should work, why am I not receiving a fair amount of messages? Are there any settings on the handphone that can be tweaked? Is there anything plusnet mobile can do to ensure that the SMS's get through more reliably?

My handset is a Samsung S7 Edge.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

M.

Edit: The sms's are normal ones from people, not the short ones generated from banking applications etc.

4 REPLIES 4
Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: Not Receiving SMS

It sounds like your phones not reconnecting correctly after it's lost signal, you don't leave WiFi on do you?

BTW, you can receive texts from shortcodes, you just can't send back to them.

martin11

Yes, wifi is enabled on the phone as the phone is used for other things such as whatsapp, email etc.

It's frustrating as I can't change networks because of my house location. Any ideas why the phone wouldn't reconnect to the network correctly?

M.

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

Leaving WiFi on always affects the mobile signal in my experience using different phones and providers.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I don't know about your model of phone, but it is worth trying a soft reset.
My understanding of that, is it doesn't wipe the data - just resets the phone.

I had my iPhone play up, not getting reception in Central London, did that and it fixed it.