cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No signal on Isle of Barra

RobfromBarra
Hooked

No signal on Isle of Barra

I moved to Plusnet from EE a week ago.  The first sim which arrived a day after I'd been "Ported" apparently didnt work properly.  Was sent replacement.  Same.  Turns out it's the signal.  My house is with less than (line of sight) of two masts.  The one is fine (if I climb a wee rise outside, the other doesn't work at all...nothing.  If I drive 3 miles I can sit under another mast full signal 4g but phone cant make calls or download data.  I'm fed up of it now.  I moved to Plusnet to take advantage of the big  gb deals but for a week I've had virtually nothing.  Good job the EE booster box in the house works (for a few hours every couple of days)  The folks on the helpline are unfailing courteous and patient........but nothing has been fixed.  Here's the postcodes HS9 5UW me and HS9 5XN Nask, Castlebay.  HELP please someone

16 REPLIES 16
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: No signal on Isle of Barra

I guess you are not aware that PN does not have access to all the frequencies on the EE network?

Do you know if the masts you can see are even EE?

Living where you do, I would check with neighbours which mobile operators has the best signal and go with them.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your post @RobfromBarra and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm sorry to see you're having issues with your signal.

I've put the postcode HS9 5UW into EE's coverage checker Here and clicking the check status button shows EE are aware of a problem they're working on getting to the bottom of.

I've also put the postcode HS9 5XN through the same status checker and interestingly there's no known problems, but it does say EE's recently fixed a problem here. While you're in this area, can you try turning your phone off and on? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RobfromBarra
Hooked

No I wasnt aware of that...I just checked my own postcode and assumed that the rest would be ok too. Mistake?  Well it's a 30 day rolling contract.

RobfromBarra
Hooked

Hi 

Yeh I've done the on/off thing whilst parked 100 yards from the mast.  Still full signal but no calls (Phone says calling but nothing happens) and no data download.  Could this be something to do with frequencies refered too above?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@RobfromBarra wrote:

Could this be something to do with frequencies refered too above?

As far as I'm aware that'd just be where the signal with EE is stronger indoors compared with Plusnet. 

Yeh I've done the on/off thing whilst parked 100 yards from the mast.  Still full signal but no calls (Phone says calling but nothing happens) and no data download.  

Based on the logged service problems and you've indicated you're having issues outdoors too, I think we're looking at an EE service issue here. I've emailed our mobile operations team for a closer look to see if we have further information. 

I'll post back as soon as I know more. Out of the office tomorrow, so the earliest would be Friday. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RobfromBarra
Hooked

Thanks

I've just used Asda coverage checker (which also uses ee network) and according to it I should be getting a good signal pretty much everywhere -I'n not - I'm getting a working signal from one mast.  

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

That’d be the coverage checker though not a network checker, which likely doesn’t account for any problems. For example if you put HS9 5UW into EE’s coverage checker it shows full signal, but it’s the status/network that reports there’s actually a problem in the area. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RobfromBarra
Hooked

Sorry for confusion.  I know its the coverage checker....my point really is that I used to get a good signal nearly everywhere and asda coverage checker confirms that to be the case.  Now since moving to plusnet I get a signal from one mast - believe me I've driven the 13 miles around the island a number of times in the last week to check.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

EE’s own coverage checker also confirms you should be able to get good signal, but there’s a fault impacting the service that they’re working on fixing. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RobfromBarra
Hooked

Point is I've gone from getting a good signal more or less everywhere (I give tours of the  island so around it a lot) to getting a working signal from one mast and a non working signal from another and thats it!  I have know for a week that the mast nearest me is not working and accept that they EE are working on it but why no signal from the other masts?  I'm paying for something I'm not getting

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

That’s what I’m wanting to find out. Totally get you’re having signal issues and I’m sorry again for the problems. As soon as I know more, you’ll be the first to know.

Once the service is back to normal, we can look at a goodwill gesture for the inconvenience.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jgfrancis
Grafter

I think Asda now use Vodafone

RobfromBarra
Hooked

They are moving to Vodophone - I was looking at their old coverage map when they used EE

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @RobfromBarra 

We've looked at HS9 5XN and it's showing clears of any service problems, however there's no 2G or 3G available at the mast that covers the area, so you'll only be able to use mobile data there, because we don't offer VoLTE (4G calling)

The postcode HS9 5UW does show an open incident for degradation of service however this is only showing for 4G, so you should in theory still be able to make and receive calls in that area. 

If you can drop me a private message with the following details, we can raise this with our suppliers to investigate further. As part of the investigation, we'll likely need to ask you for examples of the times you've been unable to use your service at those postcodes, but we'll go through that in the message. 

+Your mobile number

+Your full name

+Your full address

+Are you the account holder?

+Your date of birth

+Last 2 digits of your bank account number

+Last 2 digits of your bank sort code

When private messaging me, please include a link to this thread as our staff private messages go through a centralised system internally so I might not personally message you back. Although just a few of us monitor our Community Forums so there’s a good chance I’ll pick it up. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet