Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No signal in Spain

FIXED
ray999
Dabbler

No signal in Spain

Well, tomorrow will be fourteen days of no phone signal or data in Spain! As well as usual convenience I cannot transfer funds from my bank accounts or access certain websites such as HMRC. Well done Plusnet!
34 REPLIES 34
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: No signal in Spain

So why is it Plusnet's fault? Do you see them responsible for your mobile phone signal coverage in. Spain?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

defeluis

I have the same issue. My gf is on giffgaff and has no network issues.

I suspect the problem is plusnet has restricted network coverage to Yoigo, which has a very poor coverage in Spain. When selecting the other networks (Movistar, Vodafone or Orange) it doesn´t work (this was not the case a few weeks ago...)

ray999
Dabbler

I have a contract with Plusnet, in return for payment they provide a usable phone and data signal including EU roaming. Customer service, which they emphasise in their advertising is also part of our contract.
For the last two weeks I've had none of this, they obviously know there is a serious problem but will not admit it.
Vodaphone, Orange and Movistar all have good signal however, for whatever reason I am "forbidden" from accessing those providers and forced to use Yoigo which has no signal.
Maybe you should be asking Plusnet why they are not providing the service they are paid for.
Baldrick1

@ray999 wrote:
Maybe you should be asking Plusnet why they are not providing the service they are paid for.

I don't need to ask, i am not in Spain. i am aware that Plusnet provide a budget service. In the UK this esults in them not getting access to all the EE mobile frequency bands to cut the cost. Presumably abroad they need to cut costs by limiting the services that they can piggy back on. You pays your monry and makes your choice.

Moderator and Customer

paullowin
Grafter

Never had this issue before in several years. All networks MUST provide roaming by law. Lastly, I have a strong signal and can make calls but data is dead. They have simply started to ignore me when I keep trying to get a solution.

If enough people complain to Ofcom maybe they will act, otherwise I'm afraid it's move to a real provider.

Baldrick1

Just because it is te law that roaming must be provided doesn't mean that there must be adequate mobile coverage on a partner network throughout all parts of Europe. I agree that if you want the premium service that you need to use the prime providers, not the budget piggy backed ones.

Moderator and Customer

japitts
Rising Star

@paullowin wrote:

Never had this issue before in several years. All networks MUST provide roaming by law

Which law is that? Serious question.

Ofcom's website at https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/using-y... makes reference to "Providers offering roaming services should automatically....." - which suggests that roaming is an optional extra that providers may choose to offer or not.

paullowin
Grafter

Well

1 my phone worked fine until 2 weeks ago

2 reports all over spain of no signal 

3 in some cases (including me) there is perfect coverage I have 5 bars and can make calls just no data

4 the issue is specific to plusnet other sims are fine

So you tell me, if it's not plusnet who is it?

PS I assume you work for plusnet baldrick1

paullowin
Grafter

I have useable phone signal on movistar just no data

Judi
Dabbler

Well, I still have no call or text facility and obviously no data at all.

Am now well fed up and will be looking to move providers as Plusnet do not seem able to fix any of the problems. Being unable to call is unacceptable, if car breaks down or something similar, what the hell am I supposed to do?!!😩

ray999
Dabbler

Yes, fifteen days now for me with no data or phone signal. Plusnet say there is nothing they can do! Well, there is, allow me to connect with Movistar, Orange or Vodaphone who all have service.
Logged it with Ofcom, interestingly Plusnet haven't signed up with Resolver.
paullowin
Grafter

I have a phone signal from movistar but no data. It's not as simple as they turned off some networks, there is more to it than that. It seems to be Spain only too, which is odd.

ray999
Dabbler

Sixteen days now with no phone signal or data. If Plusnet had been honest at the start I could have ported my number to another provider which has service in Spain and had the SIM card posted to me.
paullowin
Grafter

fair question japitts!  In general it is unlawful for any company (which includes service providers) to discriminate between users from any EU country, the so called level playing field.

Specifically: 

REGULATION (EU) 2015/2120 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL

of 25 November 2015

laying down measures concerning open internet access and amending Directive 2002/22/EC on universal service and users’ rights relating to electronic communications networks and services and Regulation (EU) No 531/2012 on roaming on public mobile communications networks within the Union