cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No service Abroad

srobbouk
Hooked

No service Abroad

I started working in Thailand Last year, and needed to keep my UK Mobile number active, so as I had been with PlusNet for many years with broadband, I bought one of your cheap Sim only deals. When I first used it in Thailand a few months ago, I got connected to local Network and received SMS messages, but for the last 3 months, I have had nothing, it will not connect/register to any networks here, and I always get " your SIM card doesnt allow connection to this network" and that is for every provider here. I have complained to PlusNet twice already about this, and it has never been resolved. any ideas? otherwise I am going to move on to another company
24 REPLIES 24
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: No service Abroad

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @srobbouk

As you’ve had service previously whilst in Thailand this could be a current issue in the area you’re visiting, but you can always try some basic trouble shooting options that could help.

First I would advise turning on Airplane Mode for 30 seconds, then turn it back off as this will reconnect you to the network.

If you have no luck with this, please attempt manually searching for a network instead of automatically.

If you’re still unable to connect to a network and use your services abroad please send me a Private Message so I can take a look into your account. Smiley

srobbouk
Hooked

the plusnet person helping me with this has dissappeared... anyone else able to help steve
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Hi srobbouk!

Thanks for getting in touch with us!

I'm really sorry to hear about this, we have had a bit of a re-shuffle within the Team and lost a couple of members. The queries should have been distributed amongst the rest of us however, this doesn't appear to have happened in your case and I can only apologise for this. 

If you can send me a PM with your details and a brief overview of where we're up to, I can get up to speed with this and help in anyway I can. 

- Rebeka Smiley

cpc84
Hooked

I have the same issue I’m in Thailand and can’t connect to a local service. Was this thread ever resolved as I didn’t have a very productive “chat” with customer services last night
LivRobinson
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi cpc84

Thanks for getting in touch! Smiley 

I'm very sorry to hear that you've been experiencing loss of service whilst in Thailand! Although we work hard to provide a continuous high standard of service within the UK, I'm afraid there's no guarantee of service availability overseas. When roaming abroad, It depends entirely on the signal strength, functionality with the masts and local network in that particular area and I'm afraid this isn't something we have control of.  

We do advise that if you're struggling to connect to a network to try numerous troubleshooting steps. These are as follows:    >Re-booting your handset: 
-Turn the handset off
-Remove the SIM card
-Leave it for a couple of minutes
-Replace the SIM card
-Turn the handset on
-This will refresh the signal and attempt to re-establish a connection with the local network.     

>Manually connecting to a network:
We do advise that you may need to manually search for a local network and attempt to connect this way. All handsets vary dependant on their make and model however, a general search on an Android handset would be: 
From the home screen, tap and drag the Notifications bar downwards.
-Tap the Settings icon.
-Scroll to and tap More networks.
-Tap Mobile networks.
-Tap Network operators.
-If prompted tap OK.
-Tap the required network. 

>Trying the SIM in another handset: 
If possible, try using a friend/family members handset that is unlocked to all networks to see if the SIM has any network connectivity in an entirely different device.

I hope this helps! Enjoy the rest of your trip! Smiley
-Liv

Liv Robinson
 Plusnet Help Team
cpc84
Hooked

Thanks for the suggestions I had another chat session with your support folk and we tried all of your suggestions sadly they didn’t help. I also tried the SIM card in another phone and the problem moved to that phone. I also tried friends EE and Vodafone SIM cards in my phone and they worked ok, so it seems the problem is with my plusnet SIM card or account
LivRobinson
Aspiring Pro

I'm very sorry to hear this cpc84! But I am glad to know you have tried all the troubleshooting steps.

Unfortunately, due to the aforementioned reasons, we cannot guarantee a signal abroad. We do expect you to be able to connect to the network out there, but have no control over the network or masts in Thailand, so would be unable to do anything other than the troubleshooting above.

I could always try turning your services off and back on, but this would mean there may be a possibility of you being without service for up to 4 hours during this refresh process.

If you would like me to go ahead and try this, please send me a DM so we can run through some security to access your account Smiley

Thanks,
Liv

Liv Robinson
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I also tried friends EE and Vodafone SIM cards in my phone and they worked ok

Unfortunately, due to the aforementioned reasons, we cannot guarantee a signal abroad. We do expect you to be able to connect to the network out there, but have no control over the network or masts in Thailand,

@LivRobinson if an EE SIm works in the phone then it wouldn't appear to be a signal issue. It looks suspiciously like a roaming authentication problem , either with the OP's account or a general PN problem with roaming in Thailand

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cpc84
Hooked

Hi MisterW

I tend to agree with you about the authentication failure as a connection is initially established with a local carrier for about 30 seconds and then it’s lost. This happens with every carrier I select
srobbouk
Hooked

No this was never resolved. Plusnet sent me a new SIM, which I activated in the UK a month ago, then on returning to Thailand, it wont work again. This is very Poor really, I thought international telecoms were compatible. My True(Thai) Sim works fine everwhere I go, my vodafone SIM and my wifes old O2 SIm worked fine over here in thailand, it just seems Plusnet (EE) has a problem Steve
cpc84
Hooked

Thanks for the update, I’m surprised a new sim didn’t work maybe I’ll dump Plusnet when I get home, I can’t risk another trip without a phone service. It’s a shame because I’ve been really pleased since switching to them a few months ago and have recommended them to friends and family guess. Luckily the wife hadn’t switched before our trip so we had a phone that worked 

LivRobinson
Aspiring Pro

Hi @cpc84 @srobbouk @MisterW  Thank you all for your responses!

I completely understand any frustrations felt by this situation, and assure you I am currently doing everything I can to get @cpc84 up and running abroad as we speak.

I will, however, advise that we do not have the same roaming agreements that EE themselves do. As an MVNO we do not have all the accessibility and functionality of the MNO EE, especially abroad. So although we use their network, if an EE SIM connects to a foreign network, this is not always a guarantee that a Plusnet SIM will connect in the same area, hence why we advise that we cannot promise a connection when roaming.

Thanks for your continued patience on this post Smiley

-Liv

Liv Robinson
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I will, however, advise that we do not have the same roaming agreements that EE themselves do. As an MVNO we do not have all the accessibility and functionality of the MNO EE, especially abroad

@LivRobinson but you (PN) do not specify which countires you do (or do not) have roaming agreements with!

therefore people expect (quite rightly!) their phones to work everywhere. Especially when that country e.g Thailand IS listed in your roaming price banding https://www.plus.net/help/mobile/roaming-and-international-calls/ .

My guess (and it's just a guess!) is that some of these roaming problems are down to the fact that the SIM's have legacy Orange IMSI identifiers and these are causing problems either with the Destination network or with the communication between your parent network(EE) and PN.

The bottom line though, is that your OP's people ought to know what the problem is

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.