Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No incoming calls

FIXED
Apprentice
Grafter

No incoming calls

Recently purchased a sim card from PN, outgoing call and data use are fine but no incoming calls from my nearest to home cell.

Signal strength similar to my O2 PAYG sim which is all good i.e. no issues with incoming calls.

Using Network Cell Info Lite it appears that with the PN sim the incoming voice call connection causes drop from LTE to UMTS and then disconnects whereas with the O2 sim it drops from LTE to UMTS and the signal strength increases when compared to LTE and the incoming call connects to my phone.

Contacted phone tech support in Liverpool and they are going to send out a new sim card following no improvement from their earlier suggestions, worth a try but somehow I doubt it as today I travelled thirty miles to Kyle and there was no issue with incoming calls, obviously a different mast cell was in use.

Any ideas?,

7 REPLIES 7
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: No incoming calls

Thanks for your post @Apprentice 

I'm really sorry to see you're unable to receive calls after moving to us. 

Based on what you've said, it certainly does look like an infrastructure issue in your home area.

Could you private message me the following info to pass our data protection checks, so we can take a closer look?

+Your mobile number

+Your full name

+Your full address

+Are you the account holder?

+Your date of birth

+Last 2 digits of your bank account number

+Last 2 digits of your bank sort code

When private messaging me, please include a link to this thread as our staff private messages go through a centralised system internally so I might not actually personally message you back. Although just a few of us monitor our Community Forums so there’s a good chance I’ll pick it up.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Apprentice
Grafter

Hi Gandalf,

PM sent

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

Using Network Cell Info Lite it appears that with the PN sim the incoming voice call connection causes drop from LTE to UMTS and then disconnects

If you are in an area with 'lowish' UMTS coverage but good LTE then some phones can take longer to drop from LTE and re-establish on UMTS. If this time is too long then the call drops (and usually goes to voicemail) since the network sees the phone as 'disconnected'. Whilst its not a solution, you can prove if this is happening by setting the phone to  3g only and checking that calls are accepted.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Apprentice
Grafter

Thanks for your reply MisterW, I've just noticed that PN don't do 4G calls so incoming calls are 3G and outgoing calls are 3G, if that is right why don't I have issues making outgoing calls.

Will need to see if O2 use 3G for their calls as if they do it's strange as calls go out and come in with no issues.

Not the same bands used so not similar frequencies used so maybe that is part of the issue in my home location and the local cell as all is well in other locations with a similar or worse signal strength.

Could be O2 is better for calls than PN EE when using 3G whereas PN EE are better for data speed when using 4G up here in the Highlands.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

Fix

I've just noticed that PN don't do 4G calls so incoming calls are 3G and outgoing calls are 3G, if that is right why don't I have issues making outgoing calls.

Yes, PN dont currently support VoLTE calling. When making an outgoing call there is no timeout, the phone can take as long as necessary to switch to UMTS.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Apprentice
Grafter

Thanks for clearing that up MisterW.

Apprentice
Grafter

@ MisterW

Hopefully PN will introduce 4G calling and wifi calling before my contract expires in December 😋

When in the house the incoming calls issue varies depending on which room I am in and even the position within the room.