Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No data connection

JS1
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

No data connection

I have put in my new Plusnet SIM card and I can phone and text with it but can't connect to the internet at all. There is no icon eg 4G or 3G beside the triangle indicating there is signal. It also says T Mobile in the corner. When I put in my wife's SIM who is on EE the phone works fine. When I put the plusnet SIM card into my wife's phone it works fine (says plusnet) on the side). Using a Moto E3. Any thoughts? 

17 REPLIES 17
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: No data connection

Is your phone locked? Did it used to be from T Mobile?

Yanni
Hooked

I am also currently seeing the same issue.  I can phone and text but although the carrier shows as Plusnet, I have no data.  The iPhone 4S only does 3G but I am not even seeing that.  I fully activated the SIM yesterday and I am currently waiting on a number port.  The iPhone is SIM free and works fine with a SIM from another provider.  Any thoughts please?

Ian

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Hi JS1

It sounds as if you need to set your APN settings. Go to https://www.plus.net/help/mobile/mobile-phone-and-voicemail-settings/ and click on the drop down for "What are the APN settings for my phone?" Pick which platform your handset uses, follow the instructions and then you should be good to go!

- Rebeka Smiley

JS1
Dabbler

I chatted to someone on plusnet about the settings on my phone and went through it all and she said it was correct. The phone was from Argos and was advertised as unlocked. The odd thing is I can put the plusnet SIM into my wife's phone and if works fine and I can put her EE SIM card into my new phone and it works fine but the plusnet SIM just does not work in my new phone. It seems like that model of phone is not compatible with plusnet SIM! Just to give a bit more information: I also tried it with an orange SIM that I have and have the same problem, no data connection on my phone. I am going to give the phone back and try another. I have come to the end of the road with suggestions.

HangTen
Rising Star

I had a 'no data' issue - I followed the instructions in Rebeka's link and I now have a 4G icon showing Smiley

Thanks, Rebeka.

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

You're welcome!

- Rebeka Smiley

Yanni
Hooked

OK, I fixed this.

There is no 4G on an iPhone 4S.  I went to Settings/Carrier and turned Automatic off.  I waited until it found the carriers and selected Plusnet 3G.  Worked back out of Settings and then restarted the phone.  Nw I have 3G.  I hope this helps someone.

Ian

cooljulessss

hi did you get this fixed?  my husband also has just bought the Motorola e3 sim free from Argos and we have phoned plus net about 6 times, tried different APN settings and still nothing. He's asked for his PAC code as getting nowhere.  They sent out a new sim, and i sent the phone back to argos and got a replacement telling them it was faulty. Still no further forward, did you get any joy?

JS1
Dabbler

I returned the Moto E3 and after much deliberation got a Moto G4 Play. Works fine now. Someone else on here had their Moto E3 working no problem so not sure what is going on. If your still having problems and you can return the current phone to Argos again then you could go to somewhere on the high street like carphone warehouse as they were happy for me to put my SIM into their phone to try before I bought it. Hope this helps.

mubesjnr

I've noticed you've made quite a few posts regarding this issue....Anyway, I've recently taken a PlusNet SIM and put that in my Samsung S3 mini and do not have any data download. I've followed the link to the APN settings and reset them as detailed and still nothing.

Incidentally, so as to avoid confusion and over matter of phone being purchased from internet unlocked, two years ago I went to a SIM only deal with Vodafone, whereupon I received their SIM, put it in my phone and hay-presto a full compliment of services! No messing about with APN settings. No being fobbed off about turning off and turning on again. No nonsense about wait for number to be ported across....just take back off phone, remove battery, insert SIM, turn phone back in and away you go.

I've spoken to one of your colleagues today and another SIM has been requested. If this does not plug and play then I'm leaving. Still within 14 days period of new contract so will not cost me....other than the dissatisfaction of having wasted my time with you lot.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for getting in touch @mubesjnr. I'm sorry to hear none of the normal trouble shooting has resolved the data issue for you, however  I do hope once you've received the new SIM you'll be all up and running. 

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

On iPhones at least Vodafone create a profile which has to be deleted and the phone rebooted to work. Have a look for any Vodafone apps that can be deleted and also delete any Vodafone APNs still there.

DazT
Hooked

I've been having the same issues, no data. Thursdays so called fix did not work for me, told to try a replacement sim. Replacement sim came this morning phoned and activated it, voice and texts working fine but still no data ! Now been told it's been flagged for someone to look at it but it's going to be Monday!
I somehow think I'm going to be asking for a PAC code before the weekends out.
Very disappointed !
newcomerhere
Dabbler

No data connection