cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No data available due to Chinese import phone?

FIXED
ADEH
Dabbler

No data available due to Chinese import phone?

Hi I wonder if anyone can help. My stepson and I have just recently signed up for sim only contracts with Plusnet. My phone works fine with the Plusnet sim but my stepson cannot access any data (although he can make and receive calls and texts). We contacted Plusnet customer services and after several attempts to rectify the problem they concluded that the reason is that my son's phone, which is a Blu life mark, is not supported by Plusnet/EE. Consequently it looks like we will have to cancel our contract and find a provider, HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM AND IF SO DID YOU FIND A SOLUTION? We would prefer to stay with Plusnet if possible. Any advice/pointers gratefully received, Many thanks!

23 REPLIES 23
flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

Re: No data available due to Chinese import phone?

I can't see why it isn't supported, surely it is just running Android 5.1

What reason did they give for it not working. I assume you have checked the APN settings ?

If its dual SIM have you tried both SIM slots. Most Chinese phones only support 3G/4G in one slot only with the other being 2G only.
ADEH
Dabbler

Hi thanks for your response flanzm, They didn't give a specific reason, just that he didn't think Chinese imported phones were supported. The chap in customer services went through the APN settings with my step son but it didn't work, Maybe we should try again?

I'll ask my step son if he has tried both sim slots. 

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Hi @ADEH, Give this a try

Go to the Access Point Name ('APN') settings and change the Authentication Type from its default 'Not Set' to 'None'

Regards

Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ADEH
Dabbler

Thanks Mike we will give it a go........and let you know if it works.

Cheers

ADEH

sightworthy
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Fix

If you take a look at this page  then scroll down it shows the APN settings for 18 networks  including EE.

APN settings available for BLU Life Mark in United Kingdom

And the Plusnet ones are here.

https://www.plus.net/help/mobile/mobile-phone-and-voicemail-settings/

flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

The chap is probably correct - Chinese imported phones won't be supported, but only because they don't have a support script like they will for more common phones.  There is a massive difference between not supported and won't work!  This is just an Android phone so it should work.

As others have said on here - double check the APN settings, and make sure the SIM slot supports 3G/4G.  i know it sounds daft but double check that mobile data is actually turned on in Android - it's confused me before.

If all else fails I would try and reset the phone, just in case something has got screwed up - you never know that might make it start working.

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

The only thing I remember reading about Chinese phones on SamMobile is the Androids don't come with the Google Play store. Not sure how I-Phone pans out.

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I've been using CH phones for several years now. All different kinds of suppliers (ee/3/o2 etc)

The only issue I have ever had was on 3, I couldn't send sms's. Fixed by setting the properties for messaging. But all have had play store and all have had data (my main use for it).

As has been said check the EE sim is in slot 1 (usually the LHS one) as it is the only 3/4G enabled slot.

What provider was he with before? Maybe some hangover from that.

Check the networks settings as well, make sure EE is selected.

ADEH
Dabbler

Thanks sightworthy that could be very useful, I will pass this on to my stepson to check out. He's at school at the moment!

ADEH
Dabbler

Will do. cheers.....

ADEH
Dabbler

Thanks HairyMcbiker, we were all on Vodafone before. Interestingly his sim works fine on my windows phone (Nokia lumia 635)!

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Seems to me this only happens on piggyback networks with not so mainstream phones.

Friend had a similar problem up north on a little network with an Alcatel. Despite extensive talks and walk throughs with the provider they could never get it fully working.

The same phone had previously worked perfectly on EE and O2.

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I am currently using both Tesco and Freedom pop sims in mine at the mo. Both are piggyback networks.
ADEH
Dabbler

Oh that doesn't sound so hopeful. Would be very interesting to know if any Plusnet customers are using a Blu life phone successfully..........