cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Wonder We Get Confused

crustyoldgit

No Wonder We Get Confused

I have just (well read further on) moved over to Plusnet. As an existing Landline/Broadband customer I was already aware of the terribly helpfull people on the other end of the phone line, based in the UK. This, to me, was a welcome change given that only last week I spent 40 minutes on the phone to a foreign call center trying to resolve a simple issue, Of those 40 minutes I must have spent 30 minutes endlessly repeating the problem (in S  L  O  W simple English) to a stream of "experts", nine of the remaining minutes on hold awaiting the next "expert" and the final minute being told they can't help, best to buy a new phone!

I won't mention the name, let's just say they can't run a railway, their airline has gone downhill and their mobile service sucks!

Thursday morning I have a nice chat with those terribly helpfull people, even a thick Geordie accent doesn't faze me, give my PAC code and sign up. I carefully write down key instructions like "do nothing, swap sims when other goes dead" and on friday a new sim arrives. On saturday old number is dead so I swap sims but the line number is the "temp" number, not mine. I also receive an email from Plusnet explaing how to "Port my number".!!! As I'm old I go back to my notes and doulble check, sure enough I am to do nothing. I also note that Rebecka, in her guide at the top of the forum, says "We know that bringing your existing number with you when you join Plusnet Mobile is really important, that’s why we’ve made the process as simple as possible. All you need to do is provide us with your existing mobile number and PAC (Port Authority Code) from your previous network and we’ll do the rest.

Nothing for it but to call those terribly helpfull people again and double check, sure enough I am to do nothing.!

So, a piece of friendly advice to you Plusnet, DON'T CONFUSE your customers by sending these emails with conflicting instructions, at the very least amend them to read "If you haven't given us your PAC code . . . . . ".

Having said that it DID generate an excuse to call those terribly nice people . . . . .  I'm waiting until Tuesday in the fond hope my number is transferred!

3 REPLIES 3
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Re: No Wonder We Get Confused

Hi crustyoldgit,

Thanks for taking the time out to get in touch with us, it's much appreciated. 

The port-in process takes up to 1 working day when processed before 6pm on a weekday or up to 2 working days when processed after 6pm to complete; there will be some disruption on the network in the meantime and we don't process ports of a weekend, but this is part of the process. 

I completely understand the confusion caused by the porting email that you received however, this is an automatic email generated by the system when your account becomes live; this is in place to advise customers on how to port-in, if they haven't already done so.

Having said this, I can assure you that your feedback is important to us an will be passed onto the relevant department.

- Rebeka Smiley

crustyoldgit

Thanks for the response, you might like to flag-up yettanudda 'auto-generated' bit of confusion. Today, given I was still on a temp no I called those terribly nice people in the helpcenter again (yeah, I know, I'm hooked).

Seems the 'porting' had gone wrong so we went through it all again and the terribly nice chap assured me I'd have my old number within 24 hours. I rang off got on with varnishing the lovely vintage loo seat from the outside WC. 30 mins later, a text from plusnet saying my porting request had been declined and to call to reconfirm details. This was at 13:09 and as I was in the middle of varnishing I decided to ignore it until I had finished. Good thing I did because at 14:34 I get another text saying my "port" will be complete soon!

Hmmmmm confused again but now I'm getting wise to Plusnet, auto they might be but slow they definately are!

Sure enough, 1 hour later I have my own number up and running.

The advice has to be "train your terribly helpfull people to turn off auto messages when they are not needed"!

Or do those terribly nice people turn on the confusing messages because they like talking to me ?Huh

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

I'm sorry crustyoldgit, but the messages are sent automatically by the system and cannot be disabled. 

As we liaise with your previous network provider for the porting files, the system will detect if any issues arise and decline the porting request.

In this instance, is sounds as if there may have been an initial issue with the porting request which was quickly rectified, but not before the system processed the decline message.

Although we cannot disable the automatic system texts, I can assure you that your feedback has been taken on board.

- Rebeka