cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Signal In America

gvcool2

No Signal In America

I'm on a pay montly mobile sim and was recently out in Boston & New York and had zero signal or data. I tried the usual restart phone, enable roaming and even upped my Smart Cap to £10 just in case but got nothing the entire week I was there.

I'm heading out to LA/Vegas in a few days and need to ensure the same thing won't happen.

Any ideas?

10 REPLIES 10
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: No Signal In America

Hi
USA roaming can be a mine field...
Have you previously had a signal in the USA using the same phone using a different UK network?
The USA uses some frequency bands and modes which are not compatible with European phones.
Even iphones have different part numbers for each model in the USA and Europe.
What phone model do you use?
Plusnet use the EE network and I think EE partner with T mobile USA.
You can check your phone compatibility here:
https://www.t-mobile.com/resources/bring-your-own-phone#imeiextender
By entering the phones IMEI number
Richard

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes been ages since I went to North America, but from I remember the signal quality can be patchy and it also depends on the device you're using. Not all mobiles can support the bands in the USA and Canada.

If you let us know what you're trying to use we can have a look, but it sounds like your mobile doesn't support North America bands.

gvcool2

I'm using a Google Pixel 3 which shouldn't be a problem.
gvcool2

Thanks for your reply.

It was my first trip to the states with my Google Pixel 3. So no previous experience to compare.

According to that T-Mobile link you provided my device is fully compatible and not blocked.

Any other thoughts?
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @gvcool2 I'm sorry for the problems that you had whilst away. Are you away at the moment? if you can please send me over a PM with your full name and mobile number, I can certainly have a check of the account for you to see if there's anything there that stands out that could cause this?

(to send a PM, click on my name and then to the right, there will be a grey button to 'send private message' and in the message please include a link to this thread)

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
RJT1

We are also in USA with no ability to call anyone or post anything unless we find a Wi-Fi signal.  We have sent a pm via Twitter to PlusNet with no answer having been stuck in Dallas where there seem to be no taxis and we couldn’t get an Uber. We need to be able to use our phones can someone from PlusNet please contact us  as a matter of some urgency.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi RJT1, sorry to see you've been stuck without a working phone whilst far away from home, I'd hate to find myself in that situation.

Could you send over a private message with your mobile number and full name please?

Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
RJT1

Hi Adam 

Thanks for your reply but I am unable to send you a private message as this is my first post and I keep getting an oops error message saying I am unable to post a private message.

Please forward a contact email address.

Regards

Richard

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Richard, my bad for forgetting to mention, you'll just need to get your post-count up to 3 before you can send a message.

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
RJT1

Hi Adam

So does replying to you again count as three posts or do I have to post my original message another twice? 
This is all very frustrating!