cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Service on Phone for 6 Months

jenniferhunter
Dabbler

No Service on Phone for 6 Months

Hi. My mum moved to plusnet 6 months ago and has still never been able to make or receive a phone call on her mobile. I have contacted plusnet who say there is just no coverage in the area but that is no true because I put her plusnet sim in my phone and it worked fine. Her phone is a Samsung Galaxy S6. Plusnet have been really unhelpful and offered nothing to resolve this issue. Any ideas? I've taken the sim out, cleaned it and put it back in. Her phone constantly says no service. I tried it in an iphone 6s too and that said no service too but it was fine in my Samsung Galaxy S8. Why doesn't plusnet work in all phones? Any ideas would be great as she is 64 and I worry she cannot contact people in an emergency. Thanks
28 REPLIES 28
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: No Service on Phone for 6 Months

@jenniferhunter  Welcome to the forum.

I would say that either the SIM is not installed properly or the socket is damaged. Have you tried your SIM in your mothers phone?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jenniferhunter
Dabbler

Hi there.
Yes I've tried my SIM in the phone and it works fine.
When you say SIM not installed properly, it's in the carrier okay. Did you mean something else?

Thanks
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@jenniferhunter 

I'm no mobile phone expert, neither do I use PN mobile services, but I recently became aware that coverage can also be device dependant.

Check your coverage here, which requires you to input your postcode AND phone.

https://coverage.ee.co.uk/coverage/ee

(PN use EE)

HTH

jenniferhunter
Dabbler

Thanks. I've just uploaded an image saying that I would get good 4G coverage in my area.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

Presumably with your mums phone? Undecided

jenniferhunter
Dabbler

Yes, so I put our postcode and chose the device as her Samsung Galaxy S6.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

Thumbs_Up

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hi @jenniferhunter 

Are the APN settings correct in the mobiles you can’t get a service from with the SIM? The settings you’ll need are here: https://www.plus.net/help/mobile/mobile-phone-and-voicemail-settings/

Also, are those mobiles locked to a particular provider? 

[edit]

Something else to check is if there’s a ‘profile’ of a previous provider in the settings of the mobile(s) as this can stop our service from working.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
jenniferhunter
Dabbler

Thanks

Yes those are the correct settings and its unlocked from o2. How do I check the profile please?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

It’ll vary from phone to phone and I’m not very familiar with Android (I’m an Apple guy), but I’ve done some Googling though not been able to find anything definitive.

Try going to Settings > Network. 

Also, have you tried doing a reset of the network settings?

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
jenniferhunter
Dabbler

Hi.

Yes tried all that.

I think just plusnet doesn't work for her in that phone so may move her to another network.

Thanks
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I wouldn’t say that our mobile service doesn’t work in a particular phone, it’s more likely to be a wrong setting somewhere. If you put your SIM into your mum’s phone, does it work or do you still get no signal?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Anoush 

See post#1. It works in the OP’s S8.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Thanks for the heads up @Baldrick1 though the first post suggests they’ve tried the Plusnet SIM in their phone, rather than the other way around. What you wrote the first time before editing was actually correct, as they’ve said in post #3 they’ve already tried their SIM in their mum’s phone, so I need bigger glasses. Roll_eyes

@jenniferhunter Just to confirm, when you’ve put the Plusnet SIM into your mum’s phone, is it the right way up which should be the golden side down? Apologies if this seems a little too obvious, but worth checking Smiley