No Mobile Service - Leeds LS15 8FQ

FIXED
jpmbosco
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Re: No Mobile Service - Leeds LS15 8FQ

@abails0105 wrote:

Thanks for your response @jpmbosco

We'd be happy to pass on your feedback surrounding how our chat works to the relevant department.

I do apologise for any inconvenience caused when our chat was unavailable

Thanks

allanmac
Hooked

Since I have had Plusnet mobile my home signal was fine 2-3 bars on iPhone. However this last few weeks its dropped to 1 bar or none. Plusnet say contact EE who are fixing a fault in my area. I did do ant they say the fault is now fixed. However despite what I do it the same problem now. I am in direct line to the mast and only a patio door glass between me and the mast. I did some testing as requested by Plusnet...  Now here is the thing!!..  If you press AIRPLANE MODE then back on it first comes up with EE Connection 5 bars, then after a few seconds drops to ONE BAR and Plusnet... Why?... are they deliberately dropping the output for Plusnet please?

Plusnet say they cant control it. So what has happened that I suddenly am getting hardly any service when it used to be good?

I would appreciate and answer from Plusnet.

Also another question for the Plusnet team. One which I am sure many of us would like an answer to?.. If nothing can be done in improving the signal and we know they cant piggyback the EE Wifi calling box. What equipment would Plusnet surgest for improving the signal. from ONE bar to 3-4? There are things out there that 'claim' to do this, but has Plusnet tested any and can they advise which to buy?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Now here is the thing!!..  If you press AIRPLANE MODE then back on it first comes up with EE Connection 5 bars, then after a few seconds drops to ONE BAR and Plusnet... Why?... are they deliberately dropping the output for Plusnet please?

I don't believe it is possible to reduce the output of any mast BUT I have a guess as to what MIGHT be happening.

EE use 3 different bands(frequencies) for 4g 800,1800 & 2600MHz but PlusNet dont have access to the 800MHz band.

So, assuming your phone is showing a 4g signal strength, then it MAY initially be seeing a stronger EE 800MHZ signal, then when the PlusNet SIM attempts to access it, it's rejected and reverts to a lower strength 1800 or 2600MHz band.

It's just a guess though...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

allanmac
Hooked

Thanks Mister W for that. However it really doesn't address why they gave me 2-3 bars from the mast before before and now its only 1 or none? Weird.

I suppose if that the case we need an answer as I asked. What booster is available that works for our Plusnet Mobile in a building?

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @allanmac

If conditions have changed with the physical mast there's little we can do to change this, I'm afraid, but we're happy to review this if you could provide your name, address and mobile number via a PM.

In terms of additional equipment to boost the mobile signal in your premises, as we don't manufacture any of this equipment and don't know how it would interact with the mobile signal in your location, we're unable to make any specific recommendations.

Best wishes

Dave

japitts
Rising Star

@allanmac wrote:

Thanks Mister W for that. However it really doesn't address why they gave me 2-3 bars from the mast before before and now its only 1 or none? Weird.

I suppose if that the case we need an answer as I asked. What booster is available that works for our Plusnet Mobile in a building?

Do any friends or relations either have an EE phone that you can test in your home? And have a phone on any of the EE MVNOs..., Asda Mobile, Virgin Mobile, 1pMobile, etc?

On a side note, EE do have 4G800 coverage at LS15 8FQ which could be better indoors (as would WiFi calling), but only an EE or BT Mobile phone will be able to access this.

allanmac
Hooked

Hi Japitts. Yes after the last reply  we decided to do some more testing.  We did as you suggest bought an ASDA mobile

( which is similar to Plusnet a Piggyback account).  When we tested it as previous it comes up EE 5 bars then default to 2-3 bars!!..  Nw I again reconfigured my iPhone XR and my daughter reconfigured her iPhone 7, and my wife configuired her iPhone 8...  ALL when connecting click EE5 bars then drop to 1 bar Plusnet.  Hence my query with Plusnet and EE as to what has happened in the last month or so.

There is definitely something wrong. It tells us on the Plusnet and EE sites that my village has Excellent 4G coverage.. WRONG The most we get is 2 bars outside 3g!!

So back to the original question.. What has EE done to the mast to cause this to happen?  We can't all be wrong can we?

I would ask PLUSNET to address this please. Why would ASDA cheap £10 card get 2-3 bars and we on Plusnet from the same mast same provider in main EE provider get totally different readings?

RobC
Pro
Fixes: 3

I believe what @MisterW said is entirely correct

Asda have access to the EE 800 band Plusnet do not.

I saw very similar with Plusnet EE vs Asda EE service.

https://www.4g.co.uk/asda-mobile-coverage-and-network-review/

Show us ONE just ONE real, defined benefit for the British public from Brexit

Brexit Promised cake .... But just delivers a stream of Cack
... and expects us all to just swallow it
Brexit - Built from Bovine Manure by Bots
japitts
Rising Star

@RobC wrote:

I believe what @MisterW said is entirely correct

Asda have access to the EE 800 band Plusnet do not.

I saw very similar with Plusnet EE vs Asda EE service.

https://www.4g.co.uk/asda-mobile-coverage-and-network-review/

Scroll further down that page and it says Asda don't support VoLTE, so for starters that's contradictory and confirms my suspicions as to how reliable that page is 😉

Nowhere on Asda Mobile's site do they claim to offer 4G-calling, I suspect they'd be shouting from the rooftops if they did!

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @allanmac, if you could please send us a PM with the following details we can certainly progress towards gathering examples and sending this to our suppliers, though just to note there may not be much that can be done unless there is an issue causing this.

- The mobile number in question

- Your full name & address including postcode

- Are you the account holder?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
RobC
Pro

VoLTE and wifi calling are somewhat different issues, particularly with EE and their resellers

but you perhaps intentionally or not highlighted a good point about 4g signal strength and calls .....

EE have been a bit finicky about who what and how they allow connection for 4g calls, which would also confuse matters further, as does the different levels of access.

eg

* Some resellers (like PN) can't use the 800 band - but their handsets may get that to connect to the tower until the profile says - you can't have it

* Some resellers can connect to the 800 band but not all of the EE features and services available on it to premium EE contracts

* Even some 'direct EE customers cant access all the features depending on what handset/SW they are using and what contract they are on.

I was simply referring to the 4g signal strength issue raised in outline, as undoubtedly @MisterW was.

japitts
Rising Star

@RobC wrote:

eg

* Some resellers (like PN) can't use the 800 band - but their handsets may get that to connect to the tower until the profile says - you can't have it

That's correct, and can also happen with some foreign sourced handsets.

@RobC wrote:

* Some resellers can connect to the 800 band but not all of the EE features and services available on it to premium EE contracts

I don't believe this is true, that would mean a provider has different coverage for voice & data, and that's not exactly an attractive marketing proposition or service (phone shows signal but can't call). Happy to be proven wrong though - which resellers do you think fall in this category?

* Even some 'direct EE customers cant access all the features depending on what handset/SW they are using and what contract they are on.

You basically need to be an EE Pay-Monthly customer with either an iOS or EE-supplied Android device that supports Band 20 & VoLTE.

When EE first launched 4G800 coverage, they even restricted their own data-only devices before they realised this was a sensible exemption. So I'm pretty sure the only reseller allowed any access is BT Mobile.

But as far as helping @allanmac goes - I wouldn't rule out the fact his phone is seeing a 4G800 signal but then being refused access. I would dispute that the Asda phone is connecting to it - I've checked the Asda coverage map for some locations I know that are 800-only for 4G, and they report no coverage for voice or data. I would encourage @allanmac to perhaps respond to PN's request for further information if he is certain there is a fault here.

allanmac
Hooked

Hi Yes thanks for that, and others that have joined in this.

I replied as requested by Plusnet.  As I mentioned to them all I want is a mobile call/and text connection nothing fancy.  What makes it crazy as I mentioned to them is all that all thats between me and the same mast is 4 glass patio doors and one large glass window...  hardly a block to signal would you agree.

I think we have ruled out its just my phone ( iPhone XR) as we have tried three others on the Plusnet package and as I previously mentioned we bought an ASDA (EE) connection and that works FINE indoors 2-3 bars!!.. mm!!

Strange

RobC
Pro

@japitts wrote:

@RobC wrote:

I don't believe this is true, that would mean a provider has different coverage for voice & data, and that's not exactly an attractive marketing proposition or service (phone shows signal but can't call). Happy to be proven wrong though - which resellers do you think fall in this category?

You mean like PN not broadcasting that their customers don't get the 800 band, or short txts, or wifi calling, or volte

but just claiming 'we use ee's network ... implying everything is hunky and funky?

Different service access on 4g for example:

A simple example is access to the fastest EE 4g data speeds 

..... other than that perhaps join the discussions in the EEand more general forums as they are rather mute points here and most likely to just muddy the waters for the PN customers

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Mind you, I understand about the the bands.

However not supporting shortcodes is a good thing. I've been stung by getting texts from someone which was reversed charged back to me. Never signed for anything. So a scammer sending something like a 25p reverse text to lots of multiple subscribers is going to have a very nice holiday.

I don't care about voting someone on reality TV, as paying to vote for someone who I don't know and paying for the production costs of the programme is not my thing.

If I want to donate to charity I can - I am sure they're hardly going to be obstructive on how you pay them. Just call them and give them your card details.

Right - sorry I'll get off my soapbox now before I bore everyone Tongue