Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Data Connection.

FIXED
disk0
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: No Data Connection.

@perryw to be honest its crossed my mind, no idea if they are the same or if calls are piped over to a different team

littletuckers87

In the words of Dr Ellie Sattler: "Mr Hammond, I think we're back in business!"

Have my 4G and texting back again, for now. Hope it doesn't happen again but thanks to @Gandalf and @SammyM for their help.

northumbrian
Dabbler

Well I've ported my number to another supplier, and the phone is up and running, data is fine, as we now all know it is 100% a plusnet issue.  Shame I had to move, plusnet/EE seemed to have a much better signal in my area than Sky/o2 who I've moved to, but a least it works.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Apologies for the continued issues people are experiencing regarding this problem.

I've checked for an update and all I can see is that it's still in hand with the right people.

Anyone who hasn't yet PM'd me their mobile number, feel free to do so and I'll be happy to pass it on.

@disk0 wrote:

@perryw to be honest its crossed my mind, no idea if they are the same or if calls are piped over to a different team

Like a lot of businesses, we have different departments/teams, so the guys who take your call regarding a broadband issue generally won't be the same as the ones who do for a mobile issue.

@littletuckers87 wrote:

In the words of Dr Ellie Sattler: "Mr Hammond, I think we're back in business!"

Have my 4G and texting back again, for now. Hope it doesn't happen again but thanks to @Gandalf and @SammyM for their help.

Glad to hear you're back in business. Thumbs_Up

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
elshad12

Hi @Gandalf I'm having this exact same problem, and having tried 2 new replacement sims I've now been told that there's nothing else that can be done except phone the retention team and ask for some money off my data – which wouldn't really help since I'm not getting data at all. It won't let me PM you for some reason, I'd be very grateful if you're able to look into my number for me?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@elshad12, sorry to hear you're having problems with your data.

I've added your mobile number to the open problem for further investigation, but the issues you're experiencing may not be related. Could I ask what troubleshooting steps you've tried so far?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
elshad12

Thanks very much.

I've tried the full list given elsewhere on this forum (here), from resetting network settings, taking sim out, turning off and waiting before replacing. The only one I can't do is number 9 as my iPhone 7 gives no option to change APN (it doesn't say APN anywhere). I've done all this on my initial SIM (which worked fine for about a month after porting my number from Tesco mobile) and then on 2 further replacement SIMs, and no luck. Customer services have told me it's down to my phone and there's nothing else they can do (this isn't the case because my partner's SIM works fine in it).

It's a cheap deal but it's only cheap if you get data! I'm wondering whether just to switch now rather than wait for a fix that may or may not come.

Thanks for adding my number to the open problem.

perryw
Hooked

Data came back on both my phones today , but am now seriously considering leaving anyway.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the detail @elshad12

Yeah I don't think Apple devices allow you to change the APN when on our network.

Are you able to try your SIM in your partner's phone handset?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
statto
Hooked

so it is now time to move to another network - over a week has passed.  Numerous interactions with customer service, numerous interactions with @Mads, no response back, nobody seems to know what to do, nobody can given any promises of resolution.  Luckily I had the foresight to only enter into a month by month contract so time to cut my losses and move to another EE virtual provider, perhaps pay the premium for EE itself or look at virgin mobile.  Rest of family is on plusnet, no issues but their contract is now up so I think it is time to move the entire family away from plusnet because I worry that if they have an issue it will not be fixed quickly - that is 6 people paying over £100 a month to plusnet - a lot of customer to loose but I cannot risk something happening to my family and getting the same kind of poor quality response.

I work in IT and support mission critical systems - it is a very poor management team that lets their IT get this out of control where they don't know how to fix the technical problems of something so basic.  Mobile is now considered a critical utility but doesn't seem to have the same robustness applied as say the electricity grid.

This is my hypothesis based on experience working in mobile comms technology.  There is a network device somewhere that is mis-configured and cannot be tracked down - let's suggest it is a router.  It is probably outsourced to an outsourcer who then subcontracts to another outsourcer and so on - this is why it is taking so long to pinpoint because nobody really knows where it is or if they do, how to fix it.  I reckon it is a new device that all new customers have been put on since joining in November which is why it affects perhaps only a few thousand accounts.  It is also why the rest of family (plusnet for over a year) are not affected.  If a company like PlusNet cannot pinpoint failures and resolve them in over a week - then I wouldn't trust them with anything to be honest.  

In my opinion, PlusNet is a victim of it's own success (increasing market share via aggressive pricing strategy) and is struggling to adapt to rapid explosion of customers.  I expect to read a future report that carries apologies from the CEO, etc, etc, and Ofcom hitting them with a fine, etc, etc.  But I will be long gone before then and so will my family.

dq
Hooked

@statto Try and hang on another bit if you can,i too was in the process of changing provider and had pm'd @Gandalf and @Mads with no response so dont actually know if they've helped(many thanks to them if they did) but woke up this morning and its suddenly working again and fingers crossed will stay working! Hope you and everyone else still suffering get sorted out very soon!

robash

My mobile network connection has returned this morning, along with the ability to send SMS. Had pm'd @Gandalf with my mobile number yesterday afternoon as well as having my details added to a spreadsheet of affected users by a CS rep on Monday morning, so thanks to @Gandalf and anyone else involved in getting it working again.

To me the customers affected and the piecemeal way it's being fixed suggests the number porting process is resulting in some duff data in a database somewhere, with staff having to correct records for individual customers to get them back online. Not great that something like this could happen and that it could go on this long without any real communication for customers, but it's working again for me and hopefully gets resolved soon for everyone else here who's still affected.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@statto, sorry to hear this. From what I can see your mobile number hasn't been added to the open problem, so I've done that for you now. Hopefully this helps speed up the resolution for you.

@dq, sorry I didn’t reply to your PM, however I did add your mobile number to the problem last Saturday and I'm glad that your service has kicked back into life now.

@robash, that's good to hear that you’re back up and running! Thumbs_Up

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
statto
Hooked

@Gandalf now it is suddenly fixed and data is flowing and texting is working.

If you did something then many thanks - just a shame that it has taken so long to get here and so many people have had a go and not been able to help.  I will monitor the next few days but confidence is shaken quite a lot.

Would be good for a root cause analysis to be posted from PlusNet with an assurance that this won't happen again.

disk0
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Started working today (data) and sms started working yesterday, not tested on my wife's iPhone yet so cannot say this is completely fixed just yet