Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Data Connection.

FIXED
dcontrol
Hooked

No Data Connection.

Hi guys, I've recently got a sim only deal with Plusnet & ported my number from Tesco (all complete) & while I can make texts & calls just fine I have no data connection whatsoever (LG G4 H815 Unlocked). I've tried this suggestion https://www.plus.net/help/mobile/mobile-phone-and-voicemail-settings/ but it does nothing. I've tried a variety of different settings (from other threads) but nothing seems to work. Each time I've saved them & rebooted the phone, removed the sim, etc. but I'm still not having any joy. Any help is greatly appreciated.
297 REPLIES 297
SarahStewart
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 6

Re: No Data Connection.

Hi dcontrol, thanks for getting in touch!

I'm very sorry to hear you're having some issues with your data and I'd certainly like to look into this further for you. 

If you drop me a private message I'd be more than happy to help. 

Mathewsully
Hooked

I also have the no data issue on my recently ported phone. I have tried everything I have found on the forums thus far to no avail. I have had a web chat and a frank discussion with customer services. I have been told to try a new SIM card but I'm not impressed. I'm away next week so that's a week without data. All other providers can help with the use of the SIM cards serial number. If EE can fix it why can't PLUSNET
Mathewsully
Hooked

I keep getting this error why trying to connect to data
dcontrol
Hooked

This issue has frustrated the hell out of me so far. I've never experienced this with any other provider either. At least yours got that far 😂 From the image that you've included you are on iOS. This is what was recommended for iPhones if you haven't already tried it & apologies if you have.

iPhone
Go to Settings > Mobile or Cellular > Mobile Data Network or Cellular Data Network > Access Point Names > Menu > New APN.
Without changing any other settings, type in the following info:
For Mobile data:
APN: everywhere
Username: eesecure
Password: secure

For MMS:
APN: eezone
Username: eesecure
Password: secure
MMSC: http://mms/
MMS Proxy: 149.254.201.135:8080
MMS Max Message Size: 1048576
Tap the left arrow at the top three times, then press the home button.
Check the notification bar for 4G, 3G, E or GPRS. That'll show your connection is working.
Mathewsully
Hooked

My phone won't let me add or amend the settings. Plusnet blame apple. Apple have informed me that those settings are governed by the provider. So plusnet blame apple but it's probably the lack of access that EE provide them. All in all though it's the end user that suffers
dcontrol
Hooked

That just plain sucks. At least on Android I can create a new apn & try them to see if I can get the data working.

I did find this about iPhones earlier Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Network > Reset Settings. Again whether it will let you do it is another story & if it does it should revert to the default settings. Which probably still won't work though sadly but worth a shot.
Mathewsully
Hooked

Already tried and like I said other networks can push new settings to the sim. Plusnet just blame others
dcontrol
Hooked

Yeah I know exactly what you mean as I recall when I was on first on Tesco mobile & changed from an iPhone to an android handset (many years ago) they sent me a text message automatically with the new apn settings. Everything worked flawlessly after that & I had no issues in the 6 years I was with them.
spdrake
Hooked

I've got exactly the same problem. It seems to be a common problem on this forum. If anyone finds an answer please let us know.

MikeAustin
Dabbler

I have the same problem - new sim coming on Tuesday. There seem to be current data problems similar to the episode at the beginning of 2017, e.g. here

MichaelWilliams
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 15

Fix

Hi all,

if you've tried the basic troubleshooting as well as the fixes posted in this thread, and the issues persist, we'll have to dig a little deeper to find out why this is happening.

If you could send me a Private Message here, or get in touch using Facebook or Twitter private message, I'll pick it up and we can get the ball rolling with our further troubleshooting process.

MikeAustin
Dabbler

Hi Michael. I have PM'd you the following. I thought others here may be interested. 

In summary, I got the PN sim and put it in my notepad (temporarily replacing 3 data sim). Voice, text, data was fine. Sent in my phone's PAC for number transfer. When number transferred, I put PN sim in my phone. Voice, text fine - but no data. Swapped sim back into notepad - also no data. 3 data sim working fine in either notepad or mobile.

Visited community and tried SeeriousGlen's fix. Still no data. Restarted phone - still no data. Tried PN's fix on website - still no data. Restarted phone again - still no data. Tried downloading settings to phone (had to have WiFi connected, otherwise cannot download) - tried 'EE business' and 'Orange' options, but still no data. Phoned PN and a new sim should arrive Tuesday.

On APN settings, there are options not specified by SeeriousGlen or PN: Proxy, Port, Server, MVNO Type. I suspect these are not important as the 3 data sim did not use them.

Essentially, I think the sim is faulty. The user should not be required to poke around like this. Other sims automatically prompt the user to download and install the network settings. If the PN sim is not doing this, it is faulty. So I doubt if troubleshooting a faulty sim is going to work.

dcontrol
Hooked

It really does need to be investigated by Plusnet as a priority as it's quite obviously affecting a lot of people. It seems to me that people didn't have any issues with the sim that Plusnet originally sent them at first. The data issue seems to happen after you've ported your number over, resulting in many of us losing any form of a data connection. Calls & texts are totally ineffected & work as normal.

I too am being sent a replacement sim (hopefully tuesday) & I hope that this fixes the issue. If not I will cancel the contract as I'm in my 14 day period. It's actually day 6 without any data so not exactly a great start to life with Plusnet. It could be worse though.

I've also done everything that MikeAustin has attempted as well. Nothing seems to do anything.
MikeAustin
Dabbler

It is as if the sim card needs to be reset after the number change. When it is used with its own preprogrammed number, there seems to be a one-time registering for data on the network, prompting the automatic download of settings. It will not register for data again after the number change.

I suspect, when my new sim arrives with my original number programmed in, it will behave correctly.