Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Data - Android

fuller
Hooked

No Data - Android

Hello,

Has anyone managed to get mobile data to work on their Android phone? I have tried the default settings, the APN settings listed on this website and even a variety of EE settings. I have also reset network settings to see if that helps, it did not.

I have a Nexus 6P, all other networks have worked fine after inserting the sim.

Thanks

69 REPLIES 69
HangTen
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: No Data - Android

Turning off wi-fi worked for me.

fuller
Hooked

Tried that first. It's annoying because I tried my sons EE sim in and it works fine. Might try a factory reset to be sure.

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Hi fuller,

If you've recently ported your number across to us, it could be that it hasn't fully processed just yet which is why you'll be receiving intermittent/no service until it completes.

I can certainly take a look into this for you if you wish, so if you want to send me a private message feel free to do so and I'll be more than happy to help.

- Rebeka Smiley                    

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

If it's not up yet then I'd consider deleting all APN's except the PN one for starters.

InfamousTeal

Exact same problem happening with me, it's a faulty batch of SIMs, I've asked customer services to send me out a new one.

ianking
Hooked

I have exactly the same problem. New plusnet SIM replacing an EE PAYG SIM. Put in phone and I can do voice/texts but no data. Spent ages sorting out the APN trying the original and variations of the APN setup on the PlusNet website. Still would NOT work. Plusnet CS sent me a replacement SIM. Guess what... that DOESN'T WORK for data either. I even tried (not expecting it to work anyway) using the orange APN just in case the SIM is actually a genuine orange SIM.. it didn't work (well it wouldn't)

Both this new SIM and the old SIM say they are ORANGE SIMs. I tried it on 3 different phones and in each case the phone says it's an orange sim. I tried a 3 mobile SIM, EE SIM, Vodafone and a tesco SIM in all the phones and magically data worked.

I believe that PlusNet have sent out a batch of SIMs set up incorrectly or they've got a network issue and not telling their CS. One way to increase their churn rate folks! Both Plusnet SIMs I have are branded PlusNet. So why does it say Orange, chaps and chappesses....?

Yet another call to CS coming up....

TTFN,

Ian

Colin_Maybe
Pro

Surely the 'Orange' title is coming from the mobile mast you're using rather than the sim itself. Does this occur in different areas or is it just in the one location?

ianking
Hooked

No. The MO is coming up correctly as PlusNet in the notification area at the top of the phone display. The Orange settings I am referring to are the settings in the APN and what the phone reads off the SIM card. The local masts are now EE. There are a variety of masts in my location and I know where they are and which MO uses them, historically because I know this area and also because I have an app called "Network Cell Info".

joe77
Hooked

I'm also having this issue, tried the automatic settings and then the APN settings recommended by plusnet, but neither have worked. In the Access Point names section of my android phone it comes up with EE Internet though - not orange like some people have been finding. 

ianking
Hooked

This might be a red herring but if you install the "SIM Card Manager" app and run it says:

SIM operator code is 23433 which is actually t-mobile (EE)
SIM operator name is plusnet  which I'd guess is just a label

Network Operator code is 23430 which is actually Orange (EE)

Network operator name is plusnet which I'd guess is just a label

This could explain why the phone thinks it's APN should be orange. I tried it in other phones with the same result. But I have created an APN manually for plusnet using the recommended plusnet settings and it still didn't (doesn't) work i.e. no data.

I would expect those 2 codes to be the same.. either both orange or both t-mobile or both EE in it's own right (see

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_country_code#United_Kingdom_-_GB). It is possible I suppose for the networking software to allow for both. On my other phones running 3, O2, EE and Vodafone the relevant codes are the same for both SIM operator code and Network operator code.

As I say, could be a red herring.... }--)-)-)-)

fuller
Hooked

Still the same issue. I think a faulty sim seems to be the most logical. Have tried the sim in many different phones and all have no data. I did setup a PAC transfer but this was after 6-12 hours of no data so I am positive this is not the issue.

How do you request a new sim card is it just calling 500? Might wait until my port completes (should be monday/tuesday) to ensure I don't waste my time.

cemmy074
Hooked

you are not alone.. same problem on here i can call or text but no data.and  other  thing  if you have mc fee on your phone  becareful with nasty bill since yesterday phone sent 5 text to mc fee Singapore and  it ll cost,which i never had that problem with  my old network providers. done factory reset/few times apn /sim in out few times (which i found  when you put sim on your phone which has mc fee app on,it is charging everytime ) and even customer service staff said turn on mobile data for connect with 4g(it was funny)still no data..and other problem constantly loosing signal like reloading not only inside the home even it done open area... 

ChrisAtBristol
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

@joe77 wrote:

I'm also having this issue, tried the automatic settings and then the APN settings recommended by plusnet, but neither have worked. In the Access Point names section of my android phone it comes up with EE Internet though - not orange like some people have been finding. 

Clutching at straws here but have you tried resetting the APN defaults as the ‘EE Internet’ APN should be the correct APN regardless of any Orange settings that may be there as I have them too.

Resetting APN default on Android is, Settings > Mobile networks > Access point names > and touch the three dots in the top right-hand corner of screen and hit “Reset to defaults”. If no data appears try turning phone off and on again.

Like I said clutching at straws but worth a go is data not working.

Colin_Maybe
Pro

What's this mc fee app? The nearest I can come to it via Google is McAfee anti-virus.