cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 4g?

Hawker_C

No 4g?

I've had a read through the boards and this seems to be a recurring problem. I've also tried the resets suggested, but none have seemed to work.

My number ported over from my previous operator and when I put the sim card into my phone it only connects to 3g. Previously I have a strong 4g signal with my previous operator (Virgin).

It's the same piggyback network, and the same mast, so I can't see that the problem is at the user end.

I've reset the network, and updated the carrier setting when prompted. (iphone 6)

I have an iphone 6 and have no access to the data settings (these are set by the carrier).

From previous comments it seems that phoning customer support has little use as the advisers have little tech knowledge.

I also travel quite a bit for work, and am now concerned that roaming etc may also be a problem, and have a gut feeling that I might have made a mistake after being seduced by the offer of 4g tethering. I'm gutted as I was on quite a good deal with Virgin, which I won't be able to go back to as it was a historical contract, but I was consistently getting close to my data limit so started having a look around at what else was on offer. This plusnet deal seem acceptable, but without the 4g it's not quite so good.

Anybody got any hints/tips to get the 4g up and running?

16 REPLIES 16
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: No 4g?

I think that you have a different problem as Virgin and Plusnet should both have the 4g on the same frequency bands 

The problem raised here is the lack of 800MHz on Plusnet but this also applies to Virgin - see https://www.4g.co.uk/4g-frequencies-uk-need-know/

Hawker_C

Hi Oldjim, thanks for the response...

I'm not sure if I worded my problem correctly...I understand the technologies reasonably well, and that Virgin and PN share the same frequencies etc...

I had a 4g signal on my virgin sim card...I ported my number to PN, and then when I inserted this card into the phone am now only getting a 3g signal (I was expecting 4g) (same location, using same mast etc).

I've read through the boards and it seems it's not uncommon, I've tried the reset fixes, but it hasn't helped.

Just wondering if there's something else I can do, of it will sort itself in a day or two, or should I be more concerned.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

it is unlikely to sort itself out - so you should be concerned

It is for that reason among others I went to O2 PAYG as a very light user and it just worked

iangc

Did you get this resolved?

I've just got a new phone (old one didn't support 4G).

New phone just gives me H+ no 4G. Putting my wifes Virgin sim in the phone gives instant 4G (and indoors).

I've tried network reset + APN settings no joy.

Thanks.

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Hi iangc,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. 

The 4G frequency band applies to data only, so I would advise to check this when accessing any websites. I would also suggest popping over to https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/networkchecker/checkservice and inputting your postcode to check the area for any issues.

Depending on your handset, you can check the settings to ensure that '4G only' is not ticked. If it is, this means that your handset will only be able to search and connect to the 4G band and if one isn't available, the handset will not be able to search for the next available network below this (3G).

Signal can be affected by many different factors such as, the density of building materials, tree cover, weather conditions and how many people are using the network. To troubleshoot further, I would suggest trying your SIM outside of the home itself and if possible, within a different postcode area. Also, I would advise to try the SIM in another unlocked handset. 

- Rebeka 

iangc

Hi Rebeka,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I've tried my wifes Virgin Mobile SIM in my new phone (Virgin also use EE). My phone with her SIM gets instant 4G signal indoors and outdoors at home.

I have tried my PN SIM in the new phone at home and at work (in another strong 4G signal area) only H+ data.

The website you gave lists no known current problems at either home or work postcodes.

My handset (Android Oreo) gives 'Preferred Network Type' '4G (recommended)' and '3G' options. Currently '4G (recommended)' is selected and I am getting data but only H+ not 4G. There is no option for '4G only'.

I have tried a network reset which made no difference. That just lost my wifi SSDs and passwords.

I have tried a new APN as other threads have suggested - same result of H+ but no 4G.

My old phone didn't have 4G so never had this problem before. I have never been able to pick up MMS messages (on old phone or the new one) - but no bothered about that.

What else can I try? I've not tried my SIM in her phone. Do you want me to try that?

Kind regards

Ian

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Ian, 

Can you please try your SIM in her handset, ensuring that it is unlocked to all networks. If possible, can you please try this outside the home, so no factors such as the density of building materials can affect this. 

- Rebeka 

iangc

Hi Rebeka,

I just tried my SIM in a colleagues phone. Her SIM gets 4G. My SIM in her unlocked phone only gets H+.

So it seems the 'only H+' follows my SIM.

Kind regards

Ian

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Can you please send me a Private Message and we can look into sending you out a replacement SIM card.

- Rebeka 

Hawker_C

It did resolve itself...the 4g eventually worked. Not sure why or how.

It seemed to come on when I moved onto a different base station, and when I returned home picked up the 4g signal from the local base station.

I have noticed several idiosyncrasies compared to Virgin...

The signal strength is much lower nearly all of the time. In places where I had a full signal, I now only get 2 or 3 bars.

When roaming abroad it takes much much longer to get an initial network, and often drops the signal completely and I have to manually search for a provider and then switch back to automatic. On returning home from abroad it takes much longer to connect back onto the PN network.

When I lose signal, for instance on the Tube, it takes much longer to re-establish a signal than previously on Virgin.

I'll probably give PN another month or so, and then see how I feel.

I originally changed over for the tethering option, but considering the signal problems, it's unlikely I will ever use it, so am regretting not staying with Virgin and paying for data through a mi-fi instead of tethering.

None of that really answers your question, but are a few more observations about PN service really.

Mark101
Dabbler

@Hawker_C
You'll feel even more annoyed now that Virgin have withdrawn their tethering restrictions - but shhhh - I won't cause trouble 😁
iangc

As far as I can see Virgin have only removed the tethering restriction from their unlimited package at £25 a month.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yeah I think 3 PAYG also don't like you data tethering, so I think it is called the SIM toolkit. So the SIM can and will hide the menus on your phone to enable tethering on your phone if the network decides to.

For me it was quite handy before we upgraded to Fibre which we have now. We are quite far from the exchange so our broadband was slow. I even ended up using it once because I wanted to download a 160Mb file and the speed was doing my head in. So I used 4G tethering which ended up being much quicker.

I've got more than enough data on my plan, and it is really useful as a backup internet connection if your broadband goes down.

Mark101
Dabbler

@iangc wrote:

As far as I can see Virgin have only removed the tethering restriction from their unlimited package at £25 a month.

They have made no official announcement, but the "no tethering" has been removed from the T&C's, the sale of data only SIM's have been withdrawn and now sending normal phone SIM's for MIFI dongles ect.