cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 4G - only 3G

woodbyte
Hooked

Re: No 4G - only 3G

Each PN sim card that I have had has worked the same regardless of the APN settings (EE default or Plusnet), but whether the signal I have is due to the sim or the network I have no idea. I wasn't aware of being on a premium network withh EE (I certainly wouldn't have asked or paid extra for it) but always had 4G. So who knows, at the moment I don't have any issues streaming on the signal that I have so will just wait and see what develops.

JamesAdd
Hooked

@ukguy1

I didn't receive a text for new APN settings perhaps that's the problem?

I've tried everything and I feel that customer support whilst helpful do not know how to solve this 'no data' issue which is an eye opener as looking through these forums it is a common issue and has been for some time.

I'm now awaiting my third SIM so let's see whether that brings a resolution, if it doesn't I've got no other option but to leave PN.

The strange thing is the first PN SIM worked fine until I ported my number from EE at which point no more data. Also I've put an Asda Mobile SIM into my iPhone ( (Asda use the EE network too) and it work fine - 4G straight out of the box (non-ported however).

As EE and PluisNet are part of the same parent company I just don't understand why I am having such a problem...  

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

@JamesAdd

At the very beginning I had the same problem with no data after porting the number, that was sorted.

The text with APN settings is not really a text with content, it's a "sim update" and you turn the phone off then n again. I got this when I first put the plusnet sim in, but then after porting the number I lost the data.

Then PN sorting things and I was on 4G for 2 weeks, so it shows it works ok, then one Saturday it just switched to 3G and never switched back.

I had a new sim, reset network settings etc. When I read that there was also issues with roaming, knowing I was going on holiday soon, I just decided to go back to EE while they were doing offers during June. (They wacked the prices up in May)

JamesAdd
Hooked

@ukguy1

how did PN sort the issue?

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

It may be worth doing a soft reset on your iPhone to rule it out (if you haven't done so already).
The one which doesn't wipe everything (you don't want that one!).

Settings->General->Reset All Settings I think.

I had a problem once where it was playing up not connecting to WiFi and that fixed it.

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

@JamesAdd

They did something their end, I think they refreshed the port or something as the port took longer than normal. The issue of no data was unrelated to the later issue of no 4G.

@Alex & @JamesAdd

Reset did not solve my issue with no 4G, I lost all my wifi passwords too.

Remember someone else above who says that he tried his wifes plusnet sim in his phone and got 4G, but his own sim (and replacement sim) only gave 3G, so it shows the problem is not with the phone.

Also, as soon as I put an EE sim in, it went to 4G instantly, just as you did with Asda. The issue seems to be with Plusnet themselves.

opentrail

We have had nothing but problems with PN. Swapped from BT mobile (EE), that always picked up 4G, on a bog standard Android phone to PN on this same deal, but through Uswitch and we are lucky if we get 4G at all. It does sometimes connect on 4G, but mainly its 3G everywhere. Not only that, PN don't support tethering... or I should rather say, that as a MVHO organisation, tethering might work, but if it doesn't PN don't have the resources to help you. A CS agent did tell me that PN prioritises to the strongest signal not necessarily 4G. This is different than BT and EE. In our rural Lincs area we do have lots of ageing Orange 3G masts. I recommend you download an app called OpenSignal. it will show you what your phone is connected to and the other available cells in the area. Unfortunately, there seems no way to force prioritisation. APN settings will not change this as these are just used to connect and authorise data traffic. Completely annoyed with PN, MoneySavingExpert and Uswitch. Why don't they add this to their filters? We need 4G tethering because our broadband is so slow. 

expatk

I have exactly the same problem. I am 2 weeks into my first month with Plusnet and only have 3G and that's everywhere. I have used 0.00 of my monthly 3.5GB allowance. What is going on?

I have tried all the fixes but nothing. I was on orange 4G for the last 4-5 yrs and NEVER had a problem.

I spent an hour on the phone with a Plusnet rep and at the end we had got nowhere.

If this is not sorted by the end of my first month I will cancel my contract & demand a full refund 

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@expatk wrote:

I have exactly the same problem. I am 2 weeks into my first month with Plusnet and only have 3G and that's everywhere.........

I have tried all the fixes but nothing. I was on orange 4G for the last 4-5 yrs and NEVER had a problem.

Orange is now part of EE.  Although Plusnet use the EE Network as a MVNO they do not have access to the 800 MHz band which support many of the newer features offered by EE.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LivRobinson
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi expatk!

I'm very sorry to hear that you're experiencing an issue with your data connectivity! I assure you that I will do everything I can to get you up and running again ASAP! 

Although I am aware that you have tried a few fixes to get up and running, I will list here some troubleshooting steps for you to try, and will need you to send me a PM to let me know the outcome of this know the best route to take to find the solution as we may need to look further into your account Smiley

As I am unaware of your specific handset make and model, I cannot advise the exact location of the settings that I am advising on today, but a quick Google search will be sure to give a clear understanding of these. Alternatively, you can send me a PM with the handset make and model and I will be more than happy to do specify further Smiley

So, firstly we will need to check your area for issues on EE's network, as this can sometimes be the cause of data connectivity issues. I can either do this via PM or you can pop your postcode in over at https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/networkchecker/checkservice Smiley

If there are no known issues in the area, we will next try re-booting your handset to establish a fresh connection to the network. The method is as follows:

>Turn handset off
>Remove SIM for no less than 10 mins
>Replace SIM
>Turn handset on
>Via your settings, turn handset onto 'flight mode'
>Leave in 'flight mode' for no less than 10 minutes
>Turn 'flight mode' off

This should re-fresh your connection to the network and therefore allow a 4G connection. I must advise that removing the SIM is a vital step in this process as it allows it to establish a whole new connection upon completion of re-boot, thus enabling any changes to take effect.

If this is also unsuccessful, we will then try to re-set your APN/network settings. Once again, I can advise on the specific steps for your handset via PM, or alternatively you can find these by googling your handset make and model followed by 'APN settings.' However, if you have an iPhone, you will just have to go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Smiley

Via your data settings, please also check to make sure that the handset is not set to 3G only or 4G only, but that this is set to allow for all 3 frequency bands (2G, 3G and 4G.)

Please also be sure to check that there is not a profile stored from a previous provider. This can be found via your settings again. 

Of course, the cause of this could just be that the 3G signal is stronger than the 4G and therefore your SIM is auto-connecting to this to constantly give you the fastest possible speed at that moment. Alternatively, this could be down to the handset make and model itself.

I hope that the above helps with the issue, and please be sure to send me a PM and let me know how you get on so we can access your account and proceed accordingly Smiley

Thanks,
Liv

Liv Robinson
 Plusnet Help Team
ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

If you reset network settings on iPhone as suggested it should be pointed out that you lose all your WiFi passwords etc so do this as a last resort (it didn’t work for me).
I moved back to EE and got 4g again straight away, however, I thought this had been fixed at PN so the troubleshooting may well solve your issue.
Westman
Hooked

I eventually managed to sort this in respect of my iPhone 5S. I ended up leaving Plusnet And took out a BT contract. To my horror, the same thing happened...4G for the first two weeks, then 3G logo with no data access. I phoned BT and spoke to an operator who advised me to back up everything on the iphone and do a complete restore via iTunes. This did the trick! And I have had no problems since then. So if you have an iPhone try this method... it worked for me. All the best
woodbyte
Hooked

Hi have stuck with plusnet, despite 4g not showing up on my phone. I happen to think it is my phone rather than the network. I have taken out two more plusnet contracts for my kids (they both have Motorola phones, as I do albeit different models) but both of theirs show 4G.
I have never been disappointed with the speeds that I have been getting, they may even be 4g speeds. It's worth trying for a while, I doubt you would find a better deal.
expatk

Hi Liv,

I am looking to PM you about my results after following your instructions. How do I do this ( I am new to this).

Expatk

Mav
Fixes: 515

@expatk

Click on Liv's name or avatar to enter her profile. From there you should see a button 'Send Private Message' (you may have to scroll down). Click on that button and the Private Message page will open.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still