Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 4G - only 3G

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

No 4G - only 3G

Hi,

I joined Plusnet 6 weeks ago. For the first 3 weeks I had 4G, no problems, then it stopped working and went to 3G.

Online chat asked me to reset network settings, which I did, no luck, I rebooted, hard reset, everything.

So, then they sent a new sim, which today I activated. It's still 3G.

So I reset network settings again, still only 3G and we are in a full coverage 4G area. I've been to several other areas and only get 3G.

I'm a 20 year EE customer and for the last 2 years with this same phone I never had a single problem with 4G. 

I need to get this sorted, has anyone got any ideas before I ask for my PAC?

Cheers

45 REPLIES 45
ChrisAtBristol
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: No 4G - only 3G

@ukguy1

You seemed to have done everything you can and other than checking to see if “Network Preferences” has not been accidently changed on your phone I’ve no other suggestions.

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

@ChrisAtBristol

Thanks, the iphone doesn't have any network preferences, so we can't change or check the IPN etc.

I've now got my PAC, after 35mins on hold... off back to EE!

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

Incase anyone else with a similar problem reads this thread...

As soon as I put a new EE 4G sim in my iphone again it went straight to 4G. Same locations, same transmitter...

So... all the "reset network settings", replacement sims, online chats etc with PN and all along it's an issue with my PN account.

woodbyte
Hooked

I am having the same issue. Been using EE for over a year and got 4G virtually everywhere, switched to Plusnet and never had more than 3G+. I have had a replacemnt SIM and been given the correct APN settings, the phone is set for 4G networks (Android).

I have been assured by Plusnet staff that there is not a two tier system from EE transmitters, but I have also seen posts on the internet that EE customers are on a premium network, so don't know what to believe.

This does seem like a common issue based on searches that I have made, and no one that has put their phone back to factory settings seems to have cured the problem by doing so. i am reluctant to do so as it is quite time consuming to restore everything.

I can only conclude that it is a network issue, I will try my SIM in my partners phone (on which I fully expect the same result), I will then give Plusnet customer service one more try, if that doesn't resolve anything I will go back to EE.

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

Despite what the internet tells you there is no 'premium' network for EE customers although you do get their max speed for downloads (upto 60 Mbps against around 24 Mbps).

Considering I'd have to pay £15.99 to EE versus the £5 I do pay for similar contracts then I'll take the hit on speed every day.

It's also not a 'common issue', I've never had problems getting 4G where I am that I wouldn't get with anyone else for instance.

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

@Colin_Maybe
Great you're getting 4g.

EVERYONE with plusnet who can get a 4g signal should be getting it.

There is a problem. Period. And it should be addressed, but it's not being.
ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

Ps we all agree re speed, that's no issue, but when you only get 3G you're taking a much bigger hit on speed and not even receiving plusnet 4g speed
Colin_Maybe
Pro

@ukguy1 

'There is a problem. Period.' No, there's maybe a problem for an extremely small number of people. Period.

'And it should be addressed, but it's not being.', according to who? Do you work for PN? If not then who told you that it's not being addressed exactly?

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

@Colin_Maybe

It certainly appears it's not if people are having to leave to resolve the problem... unless you know otherwise?

Please stop defending an issue which should not happen just because it's not happening to you.

Colin_Maybe
Pro

@ukguy1

If you have details and numbers of the people this 'issue' is affecting would you like to share?

Defending? I'm giving an alternative view which is actually the majority view, if it wasn't this forum would be awash with people complaining rather than just you and 1 or 2 others.

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

So it has to be a large amount of people to matter does it?

It isn't worth anymore of my energy, neither are you. Soon as I put the EE sim back in, 4G worked. End of.

woodbyte
Hooked

Hmmm, maybe a little clarification is in order. What I meant by 'common issue' is not specifically a plusnet issue, it is quite a common issue across different networks / phones / countries, so that could have been clearer, but I did read many accounts in the hope of finding and answer to my issue.

As with any issue they can take on a bit of momentum the more you delve into it. I generally like to figure things out for myself and was consistently frustrated at never having 4G compared to always having it, but on refelection it is just a number. I have been 'roadtesting' apps out and about on the signal that I have and there is no lag in youtube / video streaming, I just notice a longer download time for podcasts & larger files etc, but I suppose how fast does that need to be? I guess its a case of just been used to the service that I was getting from EE and now having a slower one. Now that the free roaming has been introduced with plusnet it has become a bit of a no brainer and the value far outweighs the speed issue so will stop moaning and just take the speed hit.

I still would love to know why I can't get 4G though, so will keep periodically searching.

Colin_Maybe
Pro

@ukguy1

Where did I say it doesn't matter?

I only object to people like you who claim it's widespread when there is absolutely no evidence to support that (quite the opposite in fact). I have asked you how many this affects but you quietly ignored that.

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

@Colin_Maybe 

Only plusnet know, they are providing the service. You're just picking an argument, as a customer I had a right to highlight an issue whether widespread or not and that issue was not fixed for me.