Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New sim and new mobile

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

New sim and new mobile

At this moment in time, this is just a question.

I have a new mobile (Vodaphone) but I'm considering ordering a Plusnet sim (I'm a Plusnet customer with BBand and home phone). The question is this, I will need to have the new mobile unlocked but..will this cause any warranty to be classed as invalid? I don't want to order a sim to find out that 11 months warranty will be kicked into touch.

Thanks for any replies.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
4 REPLIES 4
SeanCorri
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: New sim and new mobile

Hi Pete11!

Thanks for getting in touch today! 

Our SIM cards will work in any unlocked handset! If your handset is part of a contract, then it's possible that you'll be unable to unlock your handset as you're paying for both the tariff as well. However, you'd be best checking this with Vodafone first!

If your handset isn't part of a contract, then you'll have to contact Vodafone and request your phone to be unlocked. Once you've unlocked your handset, you'll then be able to pop one of our SIM cards in!

In regards to the voiding of your warranty, most handsets come with an initial one year warranty, from the manufacturer. We cannot confirm whether our SIM cards will void this warranty, however, give your handset manufacturer a call, and they'll be able to best advise you.

The great news is, as an existing Plusnet Broadband customer, you'll be eligible to take up one of our exclusive Mates rates deals. These deals can offer up to double the amount of data of a standard tariff! 

If you have any further questions, then please don't hesitate to drop me a PM, and i'll be more than happy to follow this up there! -Sean Smiley

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi there and thanks for the reply.

The phone I have is on pay as you go so no contract. I wasn't worried about the sim causing a problem, it's in case the phone develops a fault or has to be returned for some other reason. I know this would be covered under warranty, but I was worried about the warranty being void if the phone was unlocked. I will do as you suggested though and contact Vodaphone in the morning. Thumbs_Up

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
SeanCorri
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

It's no problem at all Pete11!

I see! Hopefully, your warranty won't be void, and we can welcome you into our mobile family! 

Let us know how it goes with Vodafone tomorrow!

Please don't hesitate to drop me a message anytime, and i'll always be happy to help! -Sean Smiley

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

I've found a thread on here that might answer your question Cheesy

https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Unlocking-mobile-phone/td-p/1416342