cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New plusnet sim received - doesn't seem to be activated

timmy12345

New plusnet sim received - doesn't seem to be activated

I recently signed up for sim only deal, I received sim card today put straight in my phone but will not register on plusnet network. I can see the network available on my phone i'm guessing this sim card isnt yet activated even though in emails i received over weekend it says "your sim is now active". How long does it take the new sim to become active?

9 REPLIES 9
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: New plusnet sim received - doesn't seem to be activated

The sim is usually active by the time you receive it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

timmy12345

so they say except i get nothing, just emergency calls only

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@SeanCorri seems to be online, maybe he can pick this up ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SeanCorri
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi timmy12345!

I'm sorry to hear about this today! 

Once you place an order with us here at Plusnet mobile, we aim to have your new SIM card arrive, automatically activated, within two working days. You'll know when your SIM card is ready to use, as you'll receive your Welcome Email to advise that your account is live.

However, it sounds as though you've already received this! Drop me a PM, and i'll be sure to investigate this for you! -Sean Smiley

timmy12345

OK its active i have just had a drive around the general area, I am just getting very VERY poor signal from plusnet. No signal at home, 0 signal inside house. Weak signal all around here even though supposedly on EE network it should be more than ok. I don't think this sim is going to be any good to me unless there is some localised EE issue?

OK EDIT: checked EE status page:

THERE ARE PROBLEMS IN **** *** (postcode removed)

We are working to get this site fixed. We expect good service within 8 hours. Click below to stay updated.

I guess it is just unlucky that it is today of all days lol the best i could do was get edge signals outside of house

I will wait until later than and see if this resolves. If i still have unacceptable service and it doesnt look likely that i will receive good signal what is the plusnet refund/cancellation policy?
SeanCorri
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

That's great news timmy12345!

You're right, you were a little unlucky today! I'd advise that once the issue is sorted in your area, perform a handset reboot to refresh the connection to the network. You can do this by:

- Turning your handset off

- Removing your SIM card

- Waiting for five minutes

- Popping your SIM card back in

- Turning your handset back on.

If this still doesn't solve the problem, then please don't hesitate to drop me a PM, and i'll be sure to talk you through some additional troubleshooting methods.

If you do unfortunately decide to cancel your account with us, then you can do within the first 14 days and you'll receive a full refund, minus any additional charges that you have incurred. If you were to cancel outside of the 14 day cancellation period, then you'd have to give us 30 days notice of termination . You can do either by calling our friendly Sales Team on 0800 0791133 - Option 2, or 500 from your Plusnet mobile number -Sean Smiley

timmy12345

ok, i'm sure it will be fine once whatever issue EE are having locally is fixed. I have signed up for text updates from EE to my old number so i will know when problem is sorted and i can try again.

I have LTE discovery app running on android it so i am checking that periodically for signal strength and definately the actual phone wont be an issue its a brand new galaxy S8 Smiley

Edit: looks like they are making some progress as now i am getting full strength 2g signal inside house i expect the 3g and 4g signals will be back soon enough !

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

It has happened to my sister - it looks like there is a fault in your local mast which they will hopefully fix soon.
If you know anyone on EE, ask them if they're having issues. They should be.

It's a pain as you have to wait I know.

EDIT: I meant anyone local to yourself on EE.

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note:

Unhelpful post removed.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still