Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer and getting PDP authentication failure

FIXED
Mobileprob
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

New customer and getting PDP authentication failure

Hi, I am a new customer and received my Plusnet sim last Thursday 28/06/2018.

the port of my old number was done on Friday 29/06.

since the port I have been unable to access data, PDP error being displayed, on my iPhone 6s Plus, I have called the 500 number several times to find a solution.

Alll suggested fixes have been tried.

Data access is fine when I tried a vodaphone SIM card in the handset.

A new SIM card was sent out to me as a potential fix.

This card also has the PDP issue. Again I contacted the 500 number, still no solution has been suggested.

i am going away on holiday in the next couple of days and need to be able to access the internet.

I see from searching this forum that the PDP error seems to occur regularly. 

Any my suggestions for a fix.

many thanks

17 REPLIES 17
OliGaffney
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 7

Re: New customer and getting PDP authentication failure

Hi @Mobileprob thanks for getting in touch with us!

I'm really sorry to hear about this issue accessing your data.

'PDP Authentication Failure' is an error message only shown by certain models of iPhone.

This is because they don't allow the data settings to be manually changed unlike most other handsets.

Usually a simple network reset fixes this completely, but in rare cases this isn't enough.

It sounds like we have already gone through most of our usual troubleshooting steps to fix this for you.

We do have one more step to complete, but this could take up to 5 working days to be investigated and I understand you are looking to have this fixed asap!

I definitely recommend that you contact Apple for advice, as they may be able to amend the settings for you somehow and could implement a fix far quicker.

The settings you'll need can be found here: https://www.plus.net/help/mobile/mobile-phone-and-voicemail-settings/ under the 'APN settings' option!

Please send me a private message with the mobile number, I'll then be able to complete some security and explain the next steps for you!

Thank you

-Oli

throughball
Hooked

Hi Oli

New customer here. Using iPhone and have tried restore network settings to no avail. Can you help please?

Thanks

Chris

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Hi throughball,

I have replied to your post over in the following thread: https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/PDP-Authentication-Failure-mobile-data/td-p/1549292.

Could you please try the troubleshooting suggested there.

- Rebeka 

Mobileprob
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Fix

Hi All, 

Just to confirm that the issue is now fixed. I didn't do anything. Plusnet appear to have fixed something at their end and at least 1 other also reporting that it is now working.

Looks to be the same issue in these threads for anyone following it:

Re: PDP Authentication Failure mobile data

https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/No-Data-Connection/m-p/1551893#M9741

Re: No Data Connection.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/PDP-Authentication-Failure-mobile-data/m-p/1551889#M9738

Jonathan

athlone123
Hooked

Still not working on mine - anyone else?

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Hi athlone123,

I have picked up your Private Message and will respond shortly. 

- Rebeka 

Marty69
Hooked

I am having this exact problem.  Mobile data was working fine for 3 weeks or so and then suddenly 5 days ago it simply stopped.  4G no longer appears as the connection (mostly shows 3G or else EE), and mobile data usage fails for everything.  When attempting browsing the message is always:

”Could Not Activate Mobile Data Network”

”PDP Authentication Failure”

I tried the forum suggestions of resetting network and removing and replacing sim etc.  I called 500 to be given no advice, but told a new sim would be sent.  I expressed doubt this would work having seen other forum replies but had no option but to agree.  I also mentioned that my father had similar issue on an old phone on the EE network a few months ago and I called EE who gave me some different authentication string to enter on his phone which Hey Presto made mobile data work again,  not sure if this it the APN settings I have seen mentioned but which seem not to be available on my iPhone 7 !

New sim arrived today and of course the problem is not fixed.  I’m very annoyed right now and considering ditching my mobile contract already.  This is not acceptable and staff on the the mobile customer services line clearly need more training than just sending new sims out, which feels like a delaying tactic given the posts I’ve seen regarding what is clearly a known and repeating issue.

Can anyone please advise ?

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hello @Marty69, I am sorry to hear the problem is still ongoing. It sounds like we have gone through the troublehsooitng steps for this as sometimes there can be a fault sim. If you wish I can take a look further for you, however you forum profile doesn't match up with any mobile account so please can you PM me your full name, full address with postcode, mobile number and account ref (if you have it).

Marty69
Hooked

I called customer support yet again today to be told there is apparently now an ongoing network issue they were only advised of yesterday, no details, no estimated fix, just supposed to wait until it fixes itself.  Given this has been a week now, why has this not been communicated to/by Plus Net much earlier.  I’ve gone through countless phone calls, phone resets etc only to be told a week on that there is a known network issue so it seems this was a waste of my time.

A network issue knocking out all mobile data for a whole week is not acceptable, the complete lack of communication is even less palatable ! 

OllieC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi @Marty69,

We're really sorry that we were not provided this network issue information sooner as we would have cascaded this as soon as possible. 

Are you unable to use your home wifi while the network fault is being fixed?

Is this issue affecting you everywhere you go or just at home? 

We do need to wait for this fix to complete and we are more than happy to look at a gesture of goodwill if this issue goes on for an extended period of time. You would just need to contact us once everything is back up and running. 

Thank you.

Marty69
Hooked

Hi, yes home WiFi works but that’s not really the point of mobile data, it’s an entirely different service (albeit also provided by PlusNet).  Yes the problem is consistent no matter my location.

Not only am I not getting a service that I’m paying for, I’m incurring additional cost. At the weekend I was travelling on Virgin train to and from Cheshire and had to pay for use of their WiFi to contact my lifts each end.  I had a hospital visit to Chichester on Wednesday but had to pay a taxi to and from the train station because I couldn’t access Google maps to direct me walking.  

I consider a week to already be an extended period, and as of yesterday evening my sms messaging also stopped working.

I really hope this gets resolved as a matter of urgency now.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Marty69 

We can certainly look into the issue as @Mads said above. Did you send you details over to her? 

I'll link in with her and ask.

Thanks,

MoR

Marty69
Hooked

Have sent this @Mads as well but...

full service resumed on Wednesday morning, everything working perfectly including 4G data...until about 15 mins ago !

At about 13.25 today, and mid phone call, everything dropped.  

Now I am back to seeing PlusNet and 3G, but have no services whatsoever including phone.  

Did someone “fix” a couple of days ago, and someone has now unfixed it ?  This really is beyond a joke now 

Marty69
Hooked

I may as well do a running update...

I just did a Network reset and removed sim for 5 mins and replace.  4G data seems to have returned, thou seems flaky, flipping regularly to 3G and EE before coming back in, but seems to connect mobile data as of right now.

I can’t make outgoing or receive incoming calls, it’s beeping as if the line is dead !

@Mads