cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Sim not working

simonhiles

New Sim not working

Hi,  I got my new PlusNet simcard today, excited at the deal £5 a month cheaper than giffgaff.  I bought my iPhone direct from apple so know it is unlocked and the sim should work in it straight away.  Put new sim in.  Phone says no sim inserted.  I have been on chat with customer services twice now,  I have been assured the sim is active.  I think the sim is NOT active or faulty.  My giffgaff service runs out Monday,  not happy.

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New Sim not working

Hi @simonhiles

Thanks for getting in touch. I understand you may have bought your iPhone unlocked directly from Apple, however; as soon as you insert a SIM card within an Apple iPhone, it will automatically lock to that specific network. This means you'll need to contact giffgaff to ensure the handset is released from their network and this will enable our SIM card to work within the handset once it's unlocked. -Ashleigh

simonhiles

Giffgaff do not lock phones to their network.That is what giffgaff say.  PlusNet are just about to lose a customer before I have spent a penny, well I have spent £10 but I want that back.

Furious,  I have checked with both giffgaff and Apple my phone is NOT LOCKED!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand your frustration Simon, but any network can lock to an iPhone once it's inserted. If you're able to try another SIM within the handset that is not giffgaff or o2 (as giffgaff use their network) and it's showing the same message 'No SIM inserted' this will also indicate that it's locked. -Ashleigh

RJM
Rising Star

Well, I have iPhone 6s Plus unlocked from Apple.

It works on three other networks with no problem at all.

It seems strange if the phone is supposedly to be totally "unlocked".

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iphone/how-tell-if-iphone-is-unlocked-locked-apple-3614824/

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

iPhones bought directly from Apple are permanently unlocked and won't lock to a network like some non-Apple supplied ones.

If the phone was locked it would prompt for an unlock code rather than say 'insert SIM'.

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

I haven't received my Plusnet Sim yet to confirm but not all Sims are exactly the same thickness. Try a carefully trimmed layer of tape (or two) on the back of the Sim to make sure it's making contact. And yes, I've seen this work.

SamBuca

I have the same problem, the sim was working prior to my number being ported from Tesco Mobile.

I received an email yesterday to state the port has begun however my iPhone is currently displaying no sim, I believe the port has completed as when my number is called it diverts to Plusnet mobile.

LIFE4Lyfe

@AshleighDavis wrote:

Hi @simonhiles

Thanks for getting in touch. I understand you may have bought your iPhone unlocked directly from Apple, however; as soon as you insert a SIM card within an Apple iPhone, it will automatically lock to that specific network. This means you'll need to contact giffgaff to ensure the handset is released from their network and this will enable our SIM card to work within the handset once it's unlocked. -Ashleigh

Seeing as this is wrong, maybe you should edit it? 

Interesting to see the level of tech support PlusNet are offering, tho.

simonhiles

I went and bought a sim card from Asda mobile, they use EE, put it in and it worked straight away.  I told you my mobile was not locked!  You have lost a customer,  I just rang and cancelled the contract after your appalling incorrect poor customer service, and I will tell everybody else about too.  I would say thank you,  but I am more than disappointed so I will end with goodbye.  I will never do business with plusnet again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @simonhiles

Sorry to hear you've cancelled. I can assure none of our agents would have given you incorrect knowledge purposefully and are doing all they can to help in any situation. If you'd like to discuss this further so we can look into this, feel free to drop me a private message. 

SamBuca

Emily, can you look into my account please as I seem to be experiencing the same problem, I will PM you my account details.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @SamBuca

Of course I can, just drop me the PM and I'll pick things up from there for you. 

SamBuca

Thank you @Anonymous, I have just sent you a private message.

Newcastle1234

Hi

I received my new SIM on Saturday and after 2 calls to customer services my sim still hasn't been activated 

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy mini 3 which is unlocked,why is taking so long to activate my sim.

Plusnet have already taking payment from my bank,but I still can't use my phone,I'm not a happy customer