Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Plusnet SIM, low signal.

FIXED
LesC
Hooked

New Plusnet SIM, low signal.

Got my new Plusnet SIM a few days ago and noticed when I put the SIM in my phone the signal strength dropped to barely one bar, previously I'd see about 2 or 3 bars with my Virgin SIM and was expecting the same as both Virgin & Plusnet use the EE network. I appreciate this is indoors but outside the Plusnet SIM is little better.

On the day my number ported (yesterday), for a while the signal improved to 3 bars so I hoped this was related to the porting & that the signal would remain fine. However after a few hours the signal was back down to only one bar again and has remained the same today too.

The actual signal strengths whilst both SIMs were still active showed the Virgin SIM as -97dBm, 8 ASU and Plusnet as -111 dBm, 29 ASU.

I also emailed Plusnet on Friday & got an acknowledgement on Friday lunchtime that they'd respond within 24 hours but heard nothing. Guess I was taken in by their no nonsense, cheeky northern chappie advertising which promises much but doesn't seem to deliver.

At least it's only a 30 day contract so I can switch again if things don't improve. Not too impressed so far Sad

11 REPLIES 11
LesC
Hooked

Re: New Plusnet SIM, low signal.

Phoned Plusnet, sending me a new SIM. Oddly enough I've noticed when taking a call, the signal bars shoot up as if the signal improves when on a call?Huh

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Is it just a low signal when on 4g ? you could possibly test by setting to 3g only.

When taking a call, the phone will be switched down to 3g automatically.

PN don't have access to the EE 800Mhz 4g band, I'm not sure whether Virgin mobile did ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LesC
Hooked

Hi MisterW,

Thanks for your helpSmiley

Indoors I have the phone connected to wifi so I guess mobile data is turned off?? Previous Virgin SIM was only 3g, reason for switching SIM was to get 4g ...

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'm not sure I've helped as suchSmiley What does the PN coverage checker https://www.plus.net/mobile/coverage-checker say for your location ? It's supposed to take account of the lack of 800Mhz coverage

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LesC
Hooked

Shows as excellent for 2g & 3g, good for 4g...

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Where I am at the moment is showing as Excellent for 4g on the coverage checker and I'm seeing -100dBm on 4g.

Let's see if the new SIM makes any difference...

grumpyg321

I had the same problem and as with you when I make a phone call I get 4or5 bars even when I use the phone in the car through bluetooth

LesC
Hooked

@MisterW I'm currently getting 114dBm, not sure if/how I could switch to only 3g. I'll see what happens with the replacement SIM although not holding out much hope. Plusnet have said they will investigate further if the replacement SIM makes no difference. Also getting a new phone on Friday so will see what happens. Will post back with results.

@grumpyg321 Interesting ... I'll let youknow how i get on Wink

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Fix

not sure if/how I could switch to only 3g

If it's an Android phone then something like

Settings->...more->Mobile Networks->Preferred network type 

should allow you to set 3g.

... but as you said earlier , that sort of defeats the idea of a 4g plan

LesC
Hooked

Yep, that was it - changed from LTE/WCDMA/GSM Auto connect to WCDMA/GSM auto connect & signal miles better - back to what it was.

As the Plusnet SIM was only about £1.60 a month more than what I was paying for over twice as much data & more minutes etc, at least I know I can use 4g if I want to or stick with 3g where necessary. Although you would have thought the 'autoconnect' feature would connect to the strongest signal but presumably connects to  4g whenever available despite the signal strength.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Although you would have thought the 'autoconnect' feature would connect to the strongest signal but presumably connects to  4g whenever available despite the signal strength.

yes, it's more of a 'preferred connection' type than a strongest signal. So if it's set to 4g and there's any 4g signal then it will connect to it in preference to a stronger 3g one. You may find that the new phone gives better reception, you never know...