cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New PlusNet SIM not working in iPhone 7 Plus

digiwelch

New PlusNet SIM not working in iPhone 7 Plus

Ordered a SIM-only deal, transferring the number from Virgin to PlusNet.

The SIM has arrived, activated and number transferred. The new SIM works perfectly fine in an Android phone, and SIMs from other networks work fine in the iPhone 7+, just not this new one.

Help, please Smiley

I've factory reset the phone completely, not restoring it from back up, which I've has helped others on other threads.

The iPhone says that this is not a hardware issue and I'll need to speak to the network provider to help.

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New PlusNet SIM not working in iPhone 7 Plus

Welcome to the Forum,

Have you checked the APN  setting for the iPhone are set up correctly see below and scroll down to APN setting 

https://www.plus.net/help/mobile/mobile-phone-and-voicemail-settings/

HD

digiwelch

Hi, I can't get that far

With the SIM in the iPhone, it won't move past Activate SIM error - Try Again. There is no option to move past this page

Without the SIM in the iPhone, the "Mobile Data" in Settings is greyed out (obviously, as there's no SIM in the phone)

Any other suggestions?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the phone unlocked from Virgin

HD

digiwelch

Yeah, it's unlocked. Used it fine on several other networks (O2, Virgin and Three).

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would ring the PN Mobile helpline on  0800 079 1133 (press option 1, then option 2) from any phone.

Please let us know what was the problem

HD

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your post @digiwelch and welcome to our Community Forums.

I’m sorry to see you can’t get your SIM to work in your iPhone 7. If it works in your Android phone, that’d seem to point to an issue with the iPhone. Really odd though that other network SIMs work fine with it. 

What’s the exact error you’re getting and at what stage of the setup? Can you post up a screenshot?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
digiwelch

Update: I spoken with Apple, who have identified that the reseller (CarPhone Warehouse) locked the phone to the previous carrier (God knows why), which is Three, even though I've been able to use SIMs from O2 and Virgin on it.

I spoke to CarPhone Warehouse, who say they can't do anything and I'd need to speak to the carrier that it's locked to.

I then spoke with Three, who said they don't lock phones to them and haven't done since 2014, but they will send me instructions on how to unlock it so I can use it with my PN SIM.

Thanks all, finally getting to the resolution.

Hopefully this helps someone else having the same issue.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for the post back @digiwelch 

Ah really odd, and fingers crossed you can get your phone unlocked.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet