Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Coverage

guineapig
Hooked

Network Coverage

Hi

I've only had my PlusNet SIM card a month and am already regretting it. I was attracted by the deals they were offering broadband users. Compared with O2 the network coverage is awful. Pages are slow loading and on a number of occasions I have been unable to get a signal at all. I assumed that it must be because it isn't 4G but on checking I find that it is. The agent I spoke to assured me that the coverage in my area is good, but it is not. I am seriously considering abandoning PlusNet and going back to O2. . Has anyone else had problems?

18 REPLIES 18
japitts
Rising Star

Re: Network Coverage

Is this indoors, outdoors or both?

Just one location or several?

You're probably aware PN isn't a network operator themselves but piggyback on EE's network - so check for faults at https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/networkchecker/checkservice

The wider the areas you're having problems, the more I'd suspect a device issue. Equally if problems are geographically specific, they would point at network issues.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi  guineapig

Try entering your postcode and then your actual address for a better idea of what coverage different suppliers offer

https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/mobile-coverage

HD

japitts
Rising Star

Just bear in mind with the Ofcom coverage checker, it includes 800Mhz "extended range" 4G coverage on EE. Only EE-PAYM & BT-Mobile customers can access that, PN (in common with all EE MVNOs) can't, so this site can sometimes give an inaccurate result.

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Plusnet coverage at my home is OK. However, there is no coverage in the surrounding areas, and I've been on holiday in the UK twice in the past year - and had no coverage at all in those places either (although apparently EE worked).

When making a payment requires a code sent by SMS and not being able to receive it, or to make a phone call which is the backup method, basically renders the phone useless and leads to embarrassing situations.

I have cancelled one family member's Plusnet phone, and intend to cancel the other two in due course. 

goodviews
Grafter

I am in [Removed] and the service inside my home is pitifully awful. Supposedly I am getting 4g, it even shows up on my phone with 2 or 3 bars, but it is impossible to sustain phone calls without moving to a 'sweet spot' and very often I get the 'unable to send text. please try again'  message.

I have tried a range extender (purchased myself, chinese jobbie) and added 1-2 bar but the problems described above persist.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Personal information removed from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hi @goodviews 

I'd remove your postcode from a public forum just to be on the safe side. The mods may do this and move it to a private area that themselves and PlusNet staff can see it.

Sounds strange, have to tried resetting your phone? I don't understand why it appears you have but obviously you're not causing the problems you have.

goodviews
Grafter

Thanks. It happens on 4 phones over several months. Hence I added the coverage extender.  If they allowed Voice over wifi I would be happy.

japitts
Rising Star

Do you have a link to the "range extender" you've tried using? I only ask because legal ones are not cheap...

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/mobile-phone-repeaters 

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @goodviews,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing these issues. I've taken a look into this and I can see that there's currently an issue in the area surrounding the postcode you previously posted. Our suppliers are aware of the problem and are working to resolve the issues as soon as possible and so I'd advise to check for updates on the Network Status Checker, here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
goodviews
Grafter

japitts
Rising Star

There have been documented cases where poorly manufactured/configured boosters, have caused interference on the mobile network which have affected every other customer in a local area and caused network & Ofcom engineers time to investigate. They are a bad idea on several levels - Ofcom certainly don't make them illegal for the fun of it.

Equally if the booster is "quite weak", I'd question whether it's any effective use. The listing looks to have been withdrawn, which is an excellent outcome.

Hopefully if there's a fault on the EE network in your area, that will be soon be resolved.

goodviews
Grafter

Hi Japitts.

I do understand the issue you mention. I also understand that Ofcom have a need to charge for 'registration'. This is understandable but also a hurdle that protects the big players.  The repeater did/does raise the number of bars shown on several phones but the problems I describe persist.

In fact, they have persisted for months. So the current EE problem may be an irrelevance.

My neighbours know that I have fitted the repeater and have not suffered any problems. One neighbour, a qualified and registered radio ham. says that the overhead wiring used by Openreach creates a lot of noise. 

Cheers

J

goodviews
Grafter

I have been looking in 'settings' on one of our phones. APN  is the one plusnet provided called 'default'. My phone says 'apn for lte not available' should I add one?

There is also no MMS apn. Should I add one?

There is an option for wifi calling? Should this work? How would I know? My ISP is also Plusnet does that make a difference?

Thanks in advance

John

Tags (2)
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I assume WiFi calling will work if you're at home (so it uses yours).

Or if you're out somewhere and on public Wi-Fi - it is better than nothing.

I tried looking but the site I tried is not working. I know where my local EE mast is and it is not listed.