cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a backup sim with same number required for modern life

rogerharris
Hooked

Need a backup sim with same number required for modern life

Hi, I want to find out if I can have a backup sim with the same phone number, that I can have ready to switch over ?

With changes in society practically everything security critical is becoming secured by my SIM for phone verification, access to my online banking,  google account verification and many others including some work and all financial applications.    Then if abroad air bnb works solely on phone verification, and google needs redone when in different country, and banking issues often need resolved online etc etc. 

So if anything happens to sim waiting for a new one with the same number for up to a week or more (I see on the forums here it can take longer) is a major disruption at home, and abroad or even far away from home in the UK it’s a disaster waiting to happen

5 REPLIES 5
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Need a backup sim with same number required for modern life

Hey @rogerharris,

I'm afraid that we wouldn't be able to assign the same number to two different SIM cards at once, however if your ever do lose or damage the current SIM card we can get a replacement SIM card sent out to you and port the number over to that one.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
rogerharris
Hooked

Can i order another sim now to have as a backup ?  so if I need a replacement, I will have one, and this at least cuts a few days of the replacement and porting time.  Plus if am travelling I wouldnt be able to get a replacement posted to me anyway.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 412

@rogerharris 

You can have as many mobile accounts with their SIM cards as you like - as long as you pay the monthly fee for each of them.

An alternative is to get a pay as you go account such as offered by GiffGaff. This runs on the O2 network. I have a SIM card that I keep for emergencies with a few pounds on it (I started with a  £10). This is enough to make the occasional call at their out of contract rate. If I need to use it seriously then all that is needed is to take out one of their 'Goody Bags' that last a month.

There is no monthly charge, all that you need to do to keep the account and number active is make a short call or use a bit of data every 6 months. I keep it oin an old phone for this purpose.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Smith7
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@Baldrick1 wrote:

An alternative is to get a pay as you go account such as offered by GiffGaff. This runs on the O2 network. I have a SIM card that I keep for emergencies with a few pounds on it (I started with a  £10). This is enough to make the occasional call at their out of contract rate. If I need to use it seriously then all that is needed is to take out one of their 'Goody Bags' that last a month.

This is a very good idea I use a Three PAYG as a back up to my main Lebara mobile as it's on a different network and if the Vodaphone is off for a while I have service 

Always have the spare on a different network

When O2 went off for a whole weekend a few years years a friend was on Tesco mobile and lost service they borrowed my Three but learnt a lesson and now have a backup 

rogerharris
Hooked

Just to get back here, it seems most replies missed the point.

Today if you lose your sim with that number, then until a replacement comes you lose access to all your bank accounts, paypal, financial investment accounts and money others, in my case work apps as well etc. 

If you are abroad you cant get in air bnb without that sim, so you would lose accomodation,pretty  stressful on top of losing your phone.  This is all due to the global industry push to phone verification for everything. If easyjet moves to sim verification then you are really in a pickle.  Lose phone and you lose flights, bank accounts, accomodation. 

This trend is going to keep increasing so mobile providers need to start to provide duplicate sims that can be activated with a phone call or password to the mobile network provider.

I dont know what the solution is, for now am gonna have get another sim with another number and have some emergency bank account work on that one.