cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NO ROAMING IN EU. Plusnet this IS a problem

Laral

NO ROAMING IN EU. Plusnet this IS a problem

It’s been six months and I’ve travelled to Europe four times. Half way through my first trip to Greece, my plan refreshed and I stopped getting data. I hadn’t moved, I simply woke up and it didn’t work.
Plusnet gave their usual spike of not guaranteeing service abroad despite it working for others. Some basic trouble shooting didn’t help.
Thereafter going abroad to italy each time it failed to work meaning I had to buy local sims. Plusnet refused to help.
The third time a more helpful person agreed this wasn’t right and tried disactivating and reactivating my data settings. (Why didn’t try before) to no avail. A FOURTH time again I called before going away and another helpful person tried disabling my international access and renewing and said to call back once abroad if it still didn’t work.
It didn’t. But I called and got the usual ‘we can’t guarantee service while abroad’. It’s like they don’t care -if their service doesn’t work I have to change provider. It seems only when I’m in the UK do I get to speak to someone willing to admit this is a problem and not just shirking responsibility to the foreign country.
Other Plusnet customers here in Italy have their internet, this is not the local mast.
Any hope anyone? I keep having to buy local plans and it’s a waste of money and a real pain. I landed at midnight with no phone. Totally screwed me over.
Plusnet. Do you care? I think it was a Tom I spoke to who did seem to admit it’s a problem.
34 REPLIES 34
Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Re: NO ROAMING IN EU. Plusnet this IS a problem

Hello @Laral I am deeply sorry to hear about the repeated issues you experience whilst using your mobile services whilst you are abroad.

Whilst the statement is true that we cannot always guarantee our services will work smoothly when you do travel outside the UK, it does seem that there is an underlining issue when you do travel out, as you have mentioned you have traveled to several different countries only to bump into the same problem.

If we view your account and everything checks out that the services are active and working whilst you are abroad, the most our advisors will be able to do is offer technical assistance to diagnose your handset or as they have already attempted, temporarily disable your international features and re-activate it. It is important that you restart your device after 2 hours, once they carry out this action.

It is also worth noting, if you happen to be an iPhone user, you should perform a hard restart on your phone.

The main issue we will face when you are abroad is collating examples from yourself to diagnose the issue, as we will have to raise the task with our Mobile Operations Team. We then have to raise this form across to the local network team in the country you are in and await for further details. The timescale for this is usually 5-7 working days to get a response. By the time we receive the outcome to this you may have already returned to the UK. 

What I would advise is, we check whilst you are in the UK if your mobile phone is configured to the correct APN network settings. I can PM you the full list if you require this, I apologise in advance as the information would be quite lengthy. However, this will diagnose any network issues you may be experiencing with your handset.

If you can please PM us with the following details, we can have a further look into this:-

- Your full name

- Your full home address, including your postcode

- Your mobile number

Once you have sent me a PM, please respond to this thread so we can continue to assist you with this matter.

Many thanks.

36bits
Hooked

Same issue here in Italy - two phones both with Plusnet accounts, data roaming fine on one but not working at all on the other. Toggling data roaming on/off doesn't even throw the warning message about incurring significant charges.

Jonathan
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hi @36bits,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your mobile connection abroad and I apologise for the inconvenience caused.

I can only reiterate the advice my colleague @Dumbledore has given, we are more than happy to check over your account and see if there are any issues. If there appears to be no issue with the account we would need to collate three examples of the issue occurring over a 48 hour to send to our mobile operations team.

If you could provide the following information:

- Your full name (if different to the account holders)

- Your full address with postcode

- Your Plusnet mobile number

Via PM.

Thank you.

36bits
Hooked

OK, I have collated three examples of the issue occuring:

11/04/2019 21:24 - toggle mobile data off/on - no mobile data icon displayed

11/04/2019 21:25 - toggle mobile data off/on - no mobile data icon displayed

11/04/2019 21:26 - toggle mobile data off/on - no mobile data icon displayed

Jonathan
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @36bits 

I'm afraid that those examples would not be suitable for our investigation purposes. 

The examples need to be in 2 hours apart and in the following format; 

Date:

Time:

Service Attempted:
Error that occured:

Kind Regards, 

MoR

36bits
Hooked

Here you go:

11/04/2019 21:24 - toggle mobile data off/on - no mobile data icon displayed - 55100 Italy

12/04/2019 09:29 - toggle mobile data off/on - no mobile data icon displayed - 55100 Italy

12/04/2019 12:52 - toggle mobile data off/on - no mobile data icon displayed - 55100 Italy

Jonathan
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @36bits,

Thanks for getting back to us, I am afraid we will need more information in order to investigate this issue further. I have private messaged you with more details.

Please reply here when you have responded and we will get this picked up for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
36bits
Hooked

Responded by PM.

Jonathan
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Thanks @36bits,

I have sent over the examples to the relevant team to investigate and will get back to you when I have an update. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
PNRed19

Hi,

Sorry to jump on this thread (new to the community and not sure of correct protocol) that said I am due to fly tomorrow morning, do I need to do anything to my phone/account to ensure when I land I can use my data/txts/calls?

Thanks

Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hello @PNRed19

It is worth noting that we cannot always guarantee you a service whilst you are abroad. It is worth checking to see if the country you are travelling too has a network partnership with ourselves.

If you can inform me where you looking to travel, I can check into this for you.

In addition to this, please make sure you switch off your mobile phone and temporarily remove your SIM card when you arrive at your new destination. This enables your mobile phone to connect to the local network.

Many thanks,

- Wakas

PNRed19

Hi, it will be to Bulgaria.

Cheers

Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hello @PNRed19

In Bulgaria, there are two network services we have an agreement with. Depending on the location you are in, your Plusnet SIM will either get connected with Telenor Bulgaria or MobiTel AD Bulgaria.

Please ensure your handset connects onto the correct network. Hope this information has helped.

Should you require any further assistance, please feel free to get back in touch with us.

Many thanks.

NL1

Hi, 

I have had the same problem when I have gone to the Netherlands. I have tried to PM you @Dumbledore as you suggested to the thread starter but when I click on private messages it tells me my access is denied and that I have no such privileges.Could you tell me how I can PM you with the required info?

Thanks for your help:)