Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My son can't call my wife???

FIXED
bobw1943
Grafter

My son can't call my wife???

My wife is on Plusnet Mobile. Whenever my son tries to phone her he can't get through. When he was with Virgin Mobile he used to get a recorded message saying "calls to this number are barred".

He's just moved to "3" network and now he still doesn't get through, but he doesn't get the message.

Is it possible that the problem is with Plusnet and they are barring his call to my wife's phone?

11 REPLIES 11
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: My son can't call my wife???

Might sound a silly question, but has your wife inadvertently blocked your sons number - assuming he ported his number?

John
bobw1943
Grafter

Anything is possible.

How would I check this and if she had how would I unblock it?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Which phone is your wife using?

John
bobw1943
Grafter

It's a Sony Xperia XA1

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Does it work if he dials 1470 then your wife's number?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

I think that's the wrong end of the stick!

1470 ensures that the calling number is displayed, which would "engage" with any call blocking setup.

Putting 141 before the called number HIDES the phone number from the receiving party, thereby such should defeat any call blocking.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Thanks @Townman  I was close!

bobw1943
Grafter

Thanks for your suggestion.

I will get him to try this today. 

However it doesn't explain how the number became blocked, if indeed that is the case.

How would one unblock it if that's what is causing the problem.

Is the "blockage" on the phone itself, or the SIM?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Fix
There are a few possible causes here.

1. The phone has barred the number - that’s on the phone and within the user’s ability to resolve - look for barred (blocked) numbers settings

2. There is a call routing issue from his network to your wife’s phone - this will be more difficult to determine - can anyone else from this networks call your wife’s number?

3. Covering all potential issues (Eve the unlikely ones) - the wife’s phone number has been recorded incorrectly!!!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobw1943
Grafter

OK. Time to stand in the corner....🤡

I checked the phone's blocked numbers (we didn't know it could do this), and found Son's number on the list.

No idea how it got there.

My wife's response to any glitches on the phone is a flurry of random screen taps and button presses so I suspect she has "inadvertently" blocked him herself!

Thanks for your time.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Do not worry, these things happen and sometimes we tend to look for complicated causes.

@jab1 was right all along!