cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My parents life put at risk

markh62
Hooked

My parents life put at risk

As a full time carer for my parents, mother has dementia and father prostate cancer. My mobile phone as well as my wifes are imperative in giving reassurance and constant communication to my vulnerable parents.Having starting my porting process off last saturday evening and it is now thursday 22/12 and still no new number etc. I appreciate numbers of new customers can fluctuate, however there is no point whatsoever in attracting new customers to lose them the next month. We have never previously changed our provider since having mobile phones. However at the moment , the only plus point is having a english based call centre. THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT MY PARENTS SAFETY IS BEING COMPROMISED DUE TO YOU NOT HITTING YOUR TARGETS AS WELL AS NATIONAL GUIDELINES.

9 REPLIES 9
MarcJohnson
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: My parents life put at risk

Good morning, Mark.

I'm sorry you're experiencing delays with completing your number transfer. Obviously it's vital for you to be able to stay in touch with your family, and so we'll do all we can to look into your account and your transfer request. 
We do try to complete all number port-in requests within 48 working hours, so for you to be out of contact for longer than this is not at all what we're trying to offer as a a service, and I apologise for that.

The best thing for us to do is to look into your number port now, so you can be better informed about what's going on. If you'd like to private message me with your account details, I'll be happy to treat your port with the urgency it deserves.

Thanks for getting in touch, Mark.

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

How can you keep customers informed? , when  PN mobile don't even have a clue (after weeks of a known issue)  what iscausing the number porting delays or when it will be fixed, it's embarrassing and makes PN mobile look very unprofessional.

AshleighDavis wrote:

Hi, 

Plusnet Mobile are still using the same network and system as previously. I understand some of our Customer Service responses may have been vague, however; this is because our Network Engineers are still investigating and figuring out the core route of what's causing the issue so at this stage we haven't been given any information to provide and I can only apologise for the inconvenience this has caused. Once we have any update on the matter, we'll be sure to contact you to inform you straight away. -Ashleigh

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I have to express some surprise that with a situation such as yours you don't have the backup of a landline.

I'm my wife's carer & we wouldn't dream of not having a landline.

quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

Seconded.

A land line is definitely the better choice when emergency calls are likely. A mobile is indeed handy, but even nowadays it's not quite as reliable as wired connections. Another handy feature of a landline is that it pinpoints the location whereas in many locations a mobile only gets it roughly accurate.

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

It's an even more ridiculous thread than the one started by the so called business man.

The OP should take full responsibility for trying to port both of their numbers in Christmas week to a new service but as usual it's someone else's fault.

The guy whinging about losing money because his phone was unusable is the same boat, if it's that important why change to save a few pennies? God knows what state his business is in if that's his thought processes.

markh62
Hooked

Since starting caring for my parents over 12 months ago, especially my mother who has dementia. I have learnt lots of lessons, first one is never to criticise other people in similiar positions. Each situation is different with its special requirements and circumstances , no of which we know looking from the outside.

The lack of availability of mobile signal etc , has a direct effect on panic button alarms and calling me to deal with emergencies when im not at home or my parents. To be quite frank the day of the land line is coming to an end, unfortunately.I can give you many other reasons why my parents health was put at risk.

I also have a 28 year old daughter , who is disabled and needs assistance from me sometimes to supplement her husbands help. She suffers from an illness which causes many joints to constantly dislocate. So the need for the phone is very important. 

If i give someone a timeline i always meet it, especially when the knock on effect has an effect on peoples lives and businesses.

custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

The Mobile Network is not a substitute for a landline in an emergency and should not be used as such. In a Civil Emergency most mobile numbers would be unavailable as the Network priority switches to MTPAS SIMs only. Everybody else will get a busy signal.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Unless I'm reading this wrong the point is that the poster can be contacted at any time not that outgoing calls can be made from home.

If you are out for the day I'm sure it's a great comfort knowing that an emergency message can be left on your home phone that you may pick up many hours later - not!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@jelv

As a carer myself I accept that it's my responsibility to make provisions for all foreseeable eventualities which is why

1: I wouldn't port a number in the run up to Xmas.

2: I have mobile phones on more than one network because whilst any network can fail at any time, it's less likely for them all to fail at the same time & my coverage is increased.

3: If life-threatening circumstances were a possibility I would subscribe to a lifeline service.