Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to Plusnet mobile with a PAC

FIXED
harrym1byt
Rising Star

Moving to Plusnet mobile with a PAC

I began this process yesterday (Tuesday) lunch. I struggled with the Merseyside accent and the speed the gentleman was speaking at, but he seemed to be suggesting the Plusnet sim would be delivered today and I could insert it to activate, on Thursday. Reading up on Plusnet's site on the subject, it suggests I should be able to insert the sim today (Wednesday) to activate it.

Does my inserting the sim fire off the activation process?

How will I know when its safe to insert the new sim and remove my Giffgaff one?

Excessive white space removed.

19 REPLIES 19
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Re: Moving to Plusnet mobile with a PAC

Hi @harrym1byt,

Thank you for getting in touch.

The number port usually takes one working day. As you provided us the PAC before 6PM yesterday, it should be complete today but note that sometimes there may be a delay in your old network releasing your number for us to process the transfer.

If you insert our SIM card now it will be active on a randomly generated number and we'll let you know as soon as your number has moved across to us. You may also notice some disruption but turning your phone off and on again should resolve it.

Should you wish to keep your Giffgaff sim in your mobile in the meantime, the service will cancel and you should not be able to make or receive calls once the transfer is complete.

Thanks again.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
harrym1byt
Rising Star

The sim wasn't delivered this morning, so maybe it will arrive tomorrow. Thanks for the reply, its only the second time I have moved providers in 20 years..

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Thanks for getting back to us,

The sim wasn't delivered this morning, so maybe it will arrive tomorrow. 

We'd normally say a SIM should arrive within 3 working days, if it's been longer than that could you PM me your full name, full address, and account number or order reference or the temporary mobile number so we can investigate further?

its only the second time I have moved providers in 20 years..

Exciting times! Fingers crossed it goes smoothly.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
harrym1byt
Rising Star

I have had no written communication (email) from Plusnet about the move, nothing at all, so I will not know the temporary number until the sim arrives. I did rather expect I would get something, even just a welcome to Plusnet Mobile. The person I spoke to did request my Plusnet email address when I placed the order.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I also would've expected you to have received an order confirmation email. I've done a bit of digging and found the order using your address on your broadband account. Looks like it's still processing and the SIM is on its way, let us know how it goes over the next couple of days. I've also sent an email over to our mobile operations team to double check it's on track. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
harrym1byt
Rising Star

I received a confirmation email, a few minutes ago..

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Excessive white space removed several posts.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cool. That's good to see.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
harrym1byt
Rising Star

The sim arrived early this morning, inserted, showing Plusnet on screen, but no connection as yet for voice or data.

The card to which the sim was attached said - "We've emailed you a link to set up your password". I have not been emailed a link so far as I know, I have only received one email with the subject "Your Plusnet Mobile Order - NUMBER"  - NUMBER is an actual number. I cannot see password setup link in that in that email.

harrym1byt
Rising Star

I rang to try to sort this out and what I was told was...

I need to wait for a Welcome email, to leave my original providers SIM in until it stops working, then the new Plusnet SIM should be working and possibly on my original number, or the new temporary one which should soon change to my original number.

The Welcome email will also include the link to set up my password for the account.

All very confusing, unless you know the process..

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Really sorry that wasn't straightforward, @harrym1byt

Please let us know how you get on once you've made the switch - we're happy to help if problems continue after that point.

Best wishes

Dave

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @harrym1byt, I've received an update from our operations team to advise that there was a delay and your SIM should activate before the close of play today. Normally it's a lot smoother than this as your SIM should've arrived already active and you should've received the order confirmation email a lot sooner, but I hope there aren't any further issues moving forward.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
harrym1byt
Rising Star

The sim has just activated, data & calls working, but on the temporary number.

Text and an email suggest the port to my original number will take place tomorrow - Thanks.

I have also received the Welcome email, which does have a link to login to my account, but the login requires me to have a either username or phone number (I have this), but I don't have a password, so for now I am completely stumped..

I have tried both my original and new temporary numbers + my email address, to try to reset for a forgotten password, which was rejected. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm glad to see your SIM has activated and the port is in progress now.

Regarding logging into your account are you able to setup a password using the forgot password tool Here?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
harrym1byt
Rising Star

No, forgotten password doesn't work as I said above in my later edit.