cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving SIM only contract from EE to Plusnet Mobile (EE)

oldg1t
Hooked

Moving SIM only contract from EE to Plusnet Mobile (EE)

Hi. I am really tempted to move to one of Plusnets SIM only monthly contract deals as I currently pay £17.99 PM with EE on a 12 month contract.

I am presuming that I will be able to keep my existing number and that I will need to cancel my EE contract 30 days prior to the 12 month expiry date which will be Mid June.

How is this organised so that I keep my existing number and do not have a break in service.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Moving SIM only contract from EE to Plusnet Mobile (EE)

You call EE and ask them for a PAC code, they may try and keep you with offers and ask why you're leaving etc.

If you're sure you want to, get the code from them and give it to PlusNet when you join. The old SIM will stop working once the changeover is complete. Takes about 48 hours, though sometimes is less.

Pretty painless, but I went to EE from Vodafone so I did it in an EE shop. Just to be on the safe side with the post, I am not sure if PlusNet can post you a inactive SIM in advance, and as soon as you get your PAC you have it there when the change happens, giving the PAC details to PlusNet once you know what they are.

Keep phone with old SIM in it and new PlusNet SIM with you. Once the change has happened the phone will complain the SIM you have is "Inactive" (or words to that effect)
then just swap them other.

I assume if your phone is locked to EE a PlusNet SIM will work anyway, but someone correct me if I am wrong. I know technically a network can use GID1 locks to restrict a subset of the physical network SIM's but I don't think these are really used anymore.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Forgot to add, requesting a PAC doesn't automatically cancel your old contract and they expire in 30 days, after which you'll need a new one if you don't use it.

Using it (giving it to a different provider) does automatically. So as soon as PlusNet process it you don't need to inform your old provider.

You just might need to pay them the rest of your outstanding contact. I'd do it around a week before it ends and you may only be a case of a few days rental you may owe.
oldg1t
Hooked

Thanks Alex that's very helpful. So timing is important. Just hope plusnet offers are still good mid June.

Pagan0

I moved frrom EE to Plusnet in January, and have had issues with unreliable data connection since, so I would advise caution. But you do get 14 days to cancel if your not happy.

I personally would prefer to stay on Plusnet and give them a chance to fix the issue, but so far they have blamed my handset (tried an alternative - no difference), my SIM (had a replacement one sent out - no difference) and they also blamed my location (have tried from other locations - no difference). I am giving them 5 working days (second time as Operations team didn't get the message last week) to find the problem and offer a solution, otherwise I am out of here.

Voice and texts work fine though, and I'm not trying to scare you off switching over.

The customer support that PN offer isn't the best imho, but the staff are always very friendly and welcoming.